No announcement yet.

Back to the N64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had an offer already for an RGB'd N64. I ****ing love this place I can't wait to get back into it, it's been far too long since I played an original copy of Mario 64.

Comment

A decent RGB mod makes such a difference. Saur did mine and all the games look ten times better.

Comment

Yeah, I saw 1080 on Charles's RGB'd n64 at his meet. Looked fantastic.

So, why was Yoshi's Story so bad then?

Comment

Yoshi's Story looks lovely (although the Paper Mario style intros look better than the actual in game graphics imo), but after Yoshi's Island it was a grave disappointment.

The concept is sound, traverse the levels and finish by eating 30 pieces of fruit, get bonus points for getting the same fruit in succession, but the game itself is very bland and the difficulty level is non existant.

It's charming, but completely vacuous. There isn't actually that much platforming, a lot of it is just walking around eating fruit and dodging/swallowing/egging enemies.

Comment

Sounds "meh" to me. And I wasn't even that keen on Yoshi's Island

Comment

I should plug it back in.. the collection has been gathering dust..

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
                Yoshi's Story looks lovely (although the Paper Mario style intros look better than the actual in game graphics imo), but after Yoshi's Island it was a grave disappointment.

The concept is sound, traverse the levels and finish by eating 30 pieces of fruit, get bonus points for getting the same fruit in succession, but the game itself is very bland and the difficulty level is non existant.

It's charming, but completely vacuous. There isn't actually that much platforming, a lot of it is just walking around eating fruit and dodging/swallowing/egging enemies.
                Don't forget the music, man... the music.

I'm getting nightmarish memories just thinking about it.

Comment

There should be Yoshi singing between stages in every game!

Comment

Yoshi's Story wasn't that bad, had quite some replayability to it, you ended up having to find the hidden fruit and killing bad guys in a certain order through the level. I thought it was cute, bit of a let down yeah but still...

If you don't like Island then don't even bother - not that it comes close to that either.

Bit sad to say, but I was looking for a game to buy back in the N64 days and I got hold of Doom64, another let down but playing that in the dark is pretty freaky. Great atmosphere and sound effects.

Turok 2 and Perfect Dark are unplayable due to the frame rate, can't believe some value PD (to be fair I did complete the game and do tons in multiplayer & get the extra levels) but a let down compared to Goldeneye.

Comment

They're hardly unplayable.

Comment

Originally posted by taurusnipple
                        Turok 2 and Perfect Dark are unplayable due to the frame rate, can't believe some value PD (to be fair I did complete the game and do tons in multiplayer & get the extra levels) but a let down compared to Goldeneye.
                        Perfect Dark is 100x the game Goldeneye is; In every factor apart from nostalgia.

There was nothing better than getting home from work, rolling a couple of phlat ones, then getting down to business with Perfect Agent. I've yet to encounter a similar gaming experience 4 years on. Prime came close but was let down due to being too easy apart from one little bit.

I've never had a problem with the frame rate on PD unless it's on high-res mode.

Comment

You never had a problem with the frame rate because you were so stoned Dave :P

Don't get me wrong, initially I fell for the game which is how I unlocked all the levels but prolonged play revealed to me that I needed a steady smooth frame rate to complete the fast times on levels. So for me then, I didn't get the value out of PD that I did from Goldeneye.

Comment

yay, someone else who likes (liked) yoshi's story

Comment

This will probably make me very unpopular, but I was playing Golden Eye last night and it looks bloody atrocious... Frame rate seems to be all over the place and any enemies that are far away seem to meld into the backgrounds, thus making them impossible to see. It still plays really well, but it's looking awfully dated by today's standards...

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                                yay, someone else who likes (liked) yoshi's story
                                I love it as well, in fact, I'm humming the theme tune right now lol

Comment

Working...
                                X