No announcement yet.

Back to the N64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the only truly bad looking N64 games are third party titles, and they never really got the hang of the hardware anyway (especially as Nintendo witheld its best devkits from them).

Comment

i got my N64 out a few weeks ago and had an all day session on it and apart from the graphics not looking as good as they once did

its still the dogs danglies

only played a few games but they were still all excellent

Goldeneye for playablility is still amazing as is Pilotwings and one of my personal favourite games - blast corps or blast dozer

just wish rare would make a new version for the xbox/ps2 or gamecube

Comment

Pilotwings is one of the classic chill out games for me. I've not played it for a while, but I always used to free-roam the snow level as Birdman during the evening setting. Beautiful stuff.

Comment

I just sold my N64 and collection of games, because N64 emulation is nigh-on perfect these days. However, I've been yearning to play it again, because it's one of my favourite systems, and it had so many good games for it. And the controller, whilst looking weird, was more than adequate for most games, and felt right in my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePak
            I just sold my N64 and collection of games, because I am a stinking pirate.
            Gosh honest of you to say so.

Just seen pictures of Puyo Puyoon Party and I might get an N64 this year..

Comment

Argggh! More games for the loft! What have I done!

It was ****e really, don't bother .

Comment

Just remember not to place boxes above where you or anyone else sleeps.

Don't worry, there aren't that many N64 games I want, maybe 10 at most... SFC is a different matter though.

Comment

One of the reasons I think the N64 is so great is it felt (still feels) like a continuation of the SNES-era, like it was a proper follow up machine. Dunno if that makes sense or not

There was also a fairly standard control system to most games, almost carried over to the Gamecube. Everything had a unique look (thanks, fuzz-o-vision) and feel to it, you could man handle the carts and the machine just "worked" as a game machine should. It also hit home with its multiplayer support, probably the first system friends and family started to play like it wasn't some horrible computer thing waiting to bite a hand off, or something.

I put loads into Turok 2, plays all right now I reckon. The music is brilliant on that first stage! Shame it is so heavily scripted though >_<

Perfect Dark is all over the place in hi-res and takes some getting used to now but still plays well (ish ). Its still hilarious with all the sims walking around + 4 players. It does 16:9 and surround sound too - ninja!

Comment

Man, great games.
                    Conker's BFD still looks great and has the best multiplayer ever. Ridge Racer 64 still gives me those powersliding thrills like nothing else and I still play Goldeneye multiplayer matches about 3 times a week. I don't think Zelda really looks that bad at all and I'm sure a lot of PS1 games look a fat load worse than they used to.
                    The N64 is still alive man, live it up!

Comment

I remember at the time of the N64 launch reading and seeing the odd clip about Mario 64 and thinking then that the console would be something special and it did not disapoint. I bought it just after launch day along with Mario and Turok (does anyone else remember Dixions I believe selling this and other launch titles for ?69.99 - was a shock to see PAL games priced that high!) and that first time of putting the cart in and then hearing - "its me mario", the excitment of seeing this game in action was just an amazing gaming experience.

I recently dusted the console off after a long time of not playing and went through playing Goldeneye, Turok 1&2 and Blast Corps (one of my favourite N64 games still) and even though the graphics don't hold up they still retain their playabilty.

Oh and cheers guys now I have added an import N64 (which if i get i would send to Saur for that tasty looking RGB mod) along with an NTSC version of Wave Race to the purchase list 8)
                      Last edited by VoyagerFX; 10-07-2004, 09:47.

Comment

Originally posted by VoyagerFX
                        Turok (does anyone else remember Dixions I believe selling this and other launch titles for ?69.99 - was a shock to see PAL games priced that high!)
                        God, PAL Turok's place in the release schedules was an absolute joke, and not just because of the piss-take price. Saves to memory card, but the official memory card hasn't been released yet. In fact, the only one currently available is some piece of **** by a company called Spook, and it doesn't work.

Nice bit of organisation there.

Comment

The offical memory card was released when the sytem came out, no? I had a bundle from Virgin with one IIRC.

Comment

I never can understand why people adored the controller so much. Worst pad I ever laid hands on. But yes, the great games do still stand up today, dated graphics or no. (Personal favourite: Sin & Punishment is right up there with Rez and PDO - the attacking-the-fleet level is a work of genius.)

Comment

i loved the controller for goldeneye, fair cop it was pretty poor with fighters but there wasnt many and the ones that were available were pretty poor

but with 1st person stuff like perfect dark and goldeneye it was the business

Comment

Originally posted by E. Randy Dupre
                                God, PAL Turok's place in the release schedules was an absolute joke, and not just because of the piss-take price. Saves to memory card, but the official memory card hasn't been released yet. In fact, the only one currently available is some piece of **** by a company called Spook, and it doesn't work.

Nice bit of organisation there.
                                used to hate that memory card as it had a little reset button which you alway caught when taking it out and i think i lost turok saves maybe twice to the fact i started using the give everything cheat

loved Turok though - had to cheat to get the chronosceptre but it was worth it just watching the blast

Comment

Working...
                                X