Back to the N64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoodMorningSpider
    Ooh, I'm going to have to take issue with you there*. If the whole of the single-player mode had lived up to the first five or so levels you'd be right, but it quickly ran out of ideas and degenerated into a horrible 'run down some bland corridors/shoot some bland aliens' experience. In fact, thinking about it everything went tits-up with the introduction of the aliens, which is a shame as the level in the tower-block with the helicopter is one of my all-time favourite gaming moments - I can remember playing that for the first time, cacking myself as I hid behind a desk just praying it wouldn't find me. And then I got shot to pieces.
    Oh man! When you get shot by that thing I swear you can feel yourself being riddled with bullets! There was nothing worse than strafing behind the pillars thinking you were safe + cool then RAT-A-TATTA-TATTA!! *que harsh death sequence*. Even when I get hit by an N-Bomb on multiplayer it makes me feel ill with radiation poisoning in real life! The noise those things make is harsh! Coupled with the dark+dizzy effect it makes it my most feared item on an videogame ever.

I have to disagree with you about some of the later levels. The Attack Ship on PA had me cursing for around 10 hours worth of gametime, especially the bridge section. Area 51 has the greatest architecture for any level in a game ever - each of the three missions interlink to form one massive complex that fits together perfectly (In a geometric sense if you understand me). The Carrington Villa is also a fine example of level design. I swear, If one day, I end up with more money than Dave Gilmour I'm gonna buy a little island somewhere and build t3h Carrington Villa.

Crash site was, admitedly, a little boring, although they had to have a bland 'Surface' style level to utilise the Sniper Rifle. At least they didn't use the same level twice like on GE. You could at least have a laugh with Crash Site by loading on the cheats and blowing up mini-guards with 100s of remote mines in slow-mo.

The final level was class IMO, especially the bit where you reach the inner sanctum with its busted lights and sparks, it even flashes across the bottom of the screen to add that bit of atmosphere. I was never too keen on the final boss idea tbh.

Originally posted by GoodMorningSpider
    *not on the mult-player though, that really is 100 times better than GoldenEye's.
    Agreed. No explanation necessary.

Comment

Davidfallow,

your not wrong to appreciate the architecture in PD. I think i read in a mag once that the level designer had a degree in architecture. thats probably why it appealed to you, given his education. Being a student of the same trade, i did notice his subtle use if architectural techniques whilst playing the game. Basic yet efective ideas such as the internal sourt yard type gardens are simple techniques a student of the trade learns during the degree.

It would be nice to see a greater degree of architectural accomplishment in games in the future........... Image a true RPG with ground breaking architecturalideas and scheme........ the proposals would be endless due to the lack of relative restrictions (ie there is none).

Comment

I never understood why Turok saved to a memory card, or why a memory card slot was even needed for that matter.

The N64 controller was great, though. Very well designed.

I remember when I first played Mario 64; instinctively, I went for the D-pad. Nothing happened. then I realised I had to use that little joystick. Seemed daunting at very first, but I took to it instantly.

The PS1's fragmented D-pad seemed positively archaic after that.

Comment

It was an option for third-party cheapskates who couldn't afford EEPROM's in their carts

Comment

I think turok was the most expensive stand alone game in the Uk to date. ?70 iirc.........

All that money for a game not even worth the metal it was made on now.

Comment

Originally posted by 112
              I think turok was the most expensive stand alone game in the Uk to date. ?70 iirc.........

All that money for a game not even worth the metal it was made on now.

totally true but i still think the first 2 parts are better than the pish that was turok: evolution

havent seen them in years maybe a wee trip down memory lane is in order

how much seeds of evil did you loose if you didnt have the expansion pak??

Comment

pretty much most of it im sure! the game in my mind was attrocious to play without the expansion pak! Why do you prefer the older games to turok evolution?

Comment

I just remembered playing Turok 2 most of the night the once; that brain weapon and the monkey game mode has us in stiches for ages... i can hear the monkey screams now

Comment

what was that weapon called the annialator of somat? Its the one that makes the enemy explode from within. A lot of fun! for like 5 seconds of laughter!

Comment

Originally posted by 112
                      what was that weapon called the annialator of somat? Its the one that makes the enemy explode from within. A lot of fun! for like 5 seconds of laughter!

the only 1 i truely remember was the cerebral bore which chase the enemy around the screen - then attached itself to the baddy's head and drilled away for 5 seconds spilling skull and brain all over the place

then the head exploded - tremendous

Comment

cerebral bore -- that's the one... funny as hell with monkey tag. can't beat a screaming monkey with the bore attached to his head, only to explode seconds lately.

monkey's always make things a hundred times funnier

Comment

Originally posted by MD
                          Originally posted by IcePak
                          I just sold my N64 and collection of games, because I am a stinking pirate.
                          Gosh honest of you to say so.
                          Excuse me, I am a student at college and needed funds to support myself, so I had to sell one of my systems and its games, and the N64 was the one I chose. Not all of us are stinking rich and can't afford all the games they want. In due time, once I have myself a full-time job and am able to support myself and still have money left-over, then I will get myself another N64 and rebuy my collection of games (wish I hadn't sold a couple of rare ones off now, like Majora's Mask). Emulation is just a temporary means by which I can enjoy those games I came to love on the system when I get the urge to play them.

In fact I'm planning on selling a lot of my games collections now except for the games that are hard to come by, as well as the consoles themselves. Wish I'd thought like this before selling off my N64.

SM64, GE, LOZ:OOT, LOZ:MM, PD, BK, CBFD, and JFG are just a few of the games I loved on the system.
                          Last edited by IcePak; 12-07-2004, 15:17.

Comment

I've also recently gone back to the 64' in search of some old skool gameplay that time forgot. And even though my back catalogue is rather limited, i can honestly say i'm very much enjoying it. SM64 is my current game of choice, followed by World Cup 98 if only for the cracking goals the keeper's are unable to stop

As for the controller debate, i am very much in favour of the N64 controller, have always loved it as it's so comfortable, it's just a mighty shame about the wear & tear aspect of the analogue stick, it really does get annoying, especially when playing mario64, as usually it's such a sublime game control-wise.

A quick question about the RGB modded consoles mind, has anyone got any screenshot comparisons of an RGB enabled 64 game and a non RGB game running? You've got my interest on the subject now and may go to the trouble of getting one at some point if it really is far superior to non RGB enabled games. Thankyou.

Comment

The quality of RGB is like once having bad eyesight and then having 20/20 vision. Composite is full of colour bleed and wishy-washy distortion. RGB is so sharp and clear and really displays the game in its purest form, like it should be.

Some people I know get by with composite. I don`t think its a coincidence that these people also have bad eyesight. Anyone that appreciates quality and has high standards needs RGB.

Comment

Re: RGB - I caved in the other day and bought an Offial Advanced Scart for the XBOX and a GC RGB cable and an argos splitter. I set it up last night and the difference is clear.

Vibrant colours, no fuzz, sharper edges, no background inteference. TV switches when you turn on the console. No match really.

As an example, try putting the Lord of the Rings DVD into your player and sitting at the menu. Now switch the DVD player's RGB setting on and off. The differnce is the same.

Now if I can find someone to mod my HK N64 and provide cable, I would be happy.

Jimbob

Comment

Working...
                                X