No announcement yet.

Back to the N64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember being so pumped up for the N64 after having had a SNES and seeing Mario 64 in action on early TV previews... I then followed its progress through the Japanese launch (June 23rd?)... through the US release (Sept 30th)... and then being one of the first in line at Dixons on the 1st March 1997 (they only had 5 N64s anyway, and I got one).

I then a bit later got Waverace and my friend got Turok, and we swapped for a bit... I love Turok and was well disappointed with Waverace tbh... I'd only gotten into it after reading NMSs reviews. It was only a few months (or years?!) later when I played it again and realised just how bloody good it was, I don't know what I'd been expecting.

Just about every game I had was standout - I'll forego mentioning the obvious Nintendo titles, but I had every Rare title barring BT and DK64 (recently picked up Mickey's Speedway USA :P)... and they were bloody brilliant.

Now, seeing as I was what, 15 when I got the N64 - this was truly my golden era of gaming, and while nowadays, I get a game play it a bit and forget it - every N64 game for me is like a song that captures a [more carefree] moment in life in history in emotion and nostalgia terms.
    For example, I got DKR in like June-July 1998 and remember coming home early from secondary school, walking through sunny fields, and then switching DKR on after having my tea and the upbeat music came on, and the true adventure feel of it... it's class. I sometimes fire up the ROM and the music puts a smile on my face, as do my mastery of the courses that once upon a time caused me muchos problemos.

And Goldeneye... I seriously don't even have to say anything here. It's still my favourite all-time game, partly through nostalgia... but even playing it now it's brilliant. One area PD did fall down on was its colour palette - I much preferred GE's grey bevelled concrete with hazard stripes over the multi-coloured areas and blinding lens flares in PD, although PD is still a good game.

I recently went back and played JFG, and though I love(d) it, the framerate was appalling, I really don't know how I played this back in the day... but it was brill, plus had Mizar the hard-as-nails boss, and a Jimmy Saville impression in the ending.

And Asmik's wrasslin' games were amazing... slow-paced but brill... I *really* have to pick up Def Jam to see if it's as good.

And to the people dissing Turok... did you actually play it when it was released? I mean, c'mon, it was the first 3D FPS for consoles (beating GE by a few months, March TH, August GE), and in terms of enemies and weapons imho owned Quake which - correct me if I'm wrong - was the only other 3D FPS in the world at the time.

One final thing; someone on like page 6 of this topic said the games are dated and have been superceded... however, I have to strongly disagree:

-I don't think GoldenEye was superceded by Perfect Dark in enjoyment (although it was in technical prowess and number of features), and although Halo is like my 2nd favourite game, GE is unique. And King.

-To my knowledge, there's not been a game like Blast Corps since. Certainly not superceded if you can't get a gameplay experience like it today.

-Same with Pilotwings 64. OMG how good was that game? Launch title, too.

-I don't think there's been a more fun karting game than DKR yet.

-There's something about it, but I still seem to like FZero X more than GX :S

-Mario Sunshine wasn't as fun as Mario 64. And that hasn't been topped by other platformers.

-Same with Ocarina and Wind Waker.

Comment

I have similar memories of the n64, not because it was my first nintendo (i got a snes with street fighter 2) but because i was at uni when the n64 was released and a group of us poor students clubbed together at hmv newcastle for one. We practically hibernated for weeks completing mario and pilotwings. Nothing else came close at the time. Then goldeneye came out and we went through about 10 sharkpads - they either got stamped on in single player frustration or got thrown about during multiplayer.

Might download project 64 and give perfect dark a try right now. Never got to play that having sold the n64 after growing fed up of nintendo europes ****ty release dates.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj
        I personally think the n64 is one of the most over-rated retro consoles. Bar a few titles, the rest have aged so badly. Graphically they are poo and certaintly gameplay wise many have been blown out of the water all together in there genres. I can't see why people go on about it so much.
        Bollocks what about dreamcast theres like 5 games worth owning on that and 3 came out this year. At least N64 had some variety in its games and wasnt just beat em ups and games which border on personal insults in game form from sega themselves.

MISCHIEF MAKERS!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
          Probably the oddest experience though is using the N64 controller...it's almost like somebody else is jerkin' me off
          Thankyou for that. A Miyamoto soundbite was it?

Comment

Originally posted by 112
            I think i read in a mag once that the level designer had a degree in architecture
            It was the skyscraper that was accurate regarding structural integrity. I think it was commented in Edge (shock horror).

Comment

Pity them elevators were laggy as hell then, eh? :P

Comment

I've been playing nothing but Starfox all week - I'm never getting rid of that game ever again, blatantly without a doubt in my top 5 favourite games of all time - infact I feel it's one of the best games ever written. I can 1 life the game and dont find it challenging at all, but just simply controlling the Arwing is an art, the stages are simply incredible and it's as fun as gaming gets for me.
                Last edited by Saurian; 16-07-2004, 12:50.

Comment

Originally posted by iloveannie
                  It was the skyscraper that was accurate regarding structural integrity. I think it was commented in Edge (shock horror).
                  structural integrity? dude thats bollocks cos youd need to look at the entire floor plan from roof to foundation level to know that! and also the material aspect.

As the the designer only had a degree in architecture, his skills in technology would be basic if that! If anything his skill where aimed towards the design of building and how he could manipulate the spaces for a more pleasent environment.

No offense iloveannie but if edge saidit was structurally sound then Edge are a load of feckin' liars!

Besides the skyscraper level breaks so many building regulations its a joke!

Fun game non the less ^_~

Comment

You'd need to be a structural engineer to know if a building was structurally sound or not. The architects come up with the design the engineer decides how to implement it.

Comment

Originally posted by 112
                      As the the designer only had a degree in architecture, his skills in technology would be basic if that! If anything his skill where aimed towards the design of building and how he could manipulate the spaces for a more pleasent environment.
                      Well thats bollocks for a start, technological stuff is the easiest stuff to learn going.

Comment

depends what university he went to and how good he was. But after degree a typical students technological grasp is only so much. I doubt he could detail a decent building. Let alone a complex one such as a sky scrapper!

Comment

The dataDyne building is probably one of the most boring levels in any game ever. It's just a generic skyscraper - I wouldn't even think of it when speaking of the fantastic level design found elsewhere on PD.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                            I've been playing nothing but Starfox all week - I'm never getting rid of that game ever again, blatantly without a doubt in my top 5 favourite games of all time - infact I feel it's one of the best games ever written. I can 1 life the game and dont find it challenging at all, but just simply controlling the Arwing is an art, the stages are simply incredible and it's as fun as gaming gets for me.
                            What's your top score?
                            Just got the JPN version recently, but I used to rinse the PAL version night and day with a mate when it first came out. My record was 1800-odd hits in Expert mode.

Comment

Got my RGB mdded N64 today! \o/

I cna't believe I've been without one for so long. It's got so many classics. I just stuck on Pilotwings 64 and did the Hopper mode over Little States, it's so amazing.

Then I stuck on 1080 and trashed down a few slopes...it's still got the magic.

Wave Race wasn't quite as great as when I first got it, but it'll come eventually.

And I haven't even opened DK64, Starfox64 or Yoshi's Story yet. I can't wait

Comment

Oooh Tom / Boog :P how did you get the N64 modded. Anyway i can do it to mine? or does Saur or somebody do it?

Comment

Working...
                                X