Music before CD consoles appeared.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music before CD consoles appeared.

I was playing some classics on Mame and Emulators today and one thing struck me the most, the music before CD based machines appeared was much more exciting and suited to videogames. Some of the tunes are so catchy and humable, unlike most of today?s stuff.

I would hate to play a schmup with a bland Hollywood style soundtrack in the background, it would ruin it for me, schmups have to have midi music.

Platformers need catchy little tunes, without them the games lose a lot of charm. Just look at the old-skool Mario and Sonic tunes, they are much better than today?s offerings.

It seems that midi is all but dead in videogames and Hollywood style pap rules the day. There are exceptions, I agree, but these are becoming rare. Even the music from F-ZeroGX whilst good, doesn?t compete with the original Snes tunes.

I watched an interview with one of the top games musicians and he was spouting a lot of garbage. He actually said " Music in videogames today is much better, in the old days people had to listen to poor quality badly designed tunes and now with CD we can have true Hollywood style ".

He can stuff his Hollywood generic crap. I even get fed-up with the way films all seem to reuse the same music over and over again; I don?t need it in my games.

Music to me is of prime importance. When I hear a tune from yesteryear, it brings back the whole vibe of the game, I can actually hum the whole tune and it makes me smile.

I can barely remember any tunes from the the 32 to 128bit era. The N64 being the exception obviously. Its a sad time for music and I know my moaning won?t change things, but I just had to express my sadness for the way things have gone, graphics are better but imo music has gone to sh*t.

What tunes do you remember vividly and hum from the pre CD era???
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-08-2004, 19:37.

I think some of the classical renditions from early eight bit machines were some of the finest (before copyrighters started taking gaming seriously) Mr Do! and the infernally short loop of the can can and the "very good" screens backing track would bury itself deep into the concious and stay for weeks. 720 in the arcade was pretty cool and must have been one of the origionators of the guitar synth sound that became the soundtrack to the late eighties and early nineties (and most atari games of the time). Bubble Bobble is another great example of a catchy little ditty, but my fave was definately R -Type, the first level was just incredible, the sound just chugged along with the gameplay the perfect balance. The best home tunes imo were on cbm 64 and its infamous sid chip, Platoon stands out more than most, but all Rob Hubbards early work (very Jean michelle Jarre inspired synth work) was pretty amazing, Even the loading screens. There was also a game on the speccy called TOBOR (berzerk clone) that just played the death march.

Dont write off cd sounds though, return Fire on the 3DO was excellent, and lets not forget PSO, Wipeout, Quake 3, ORTA, Exhumed, Sonic CD, and many more.

Do sounds made from the ocarina count? I use to always find myself humming the song of time.

Comment

I always remember the music for Star Light Zone and Chemical Plant from the Sonic games, simply for it's catchiness.

Comment

Turrican 2!!! Do Do Do Du Do Do Do! Do!

Comment

yeah R-Type has fantastic music.

along with xenon2.

Recently been absolutely loving the Contra music for the megadrive: sounds like old school drum and bass. Really gets into the pace of the game.

Comment

There's no question that the music created on 8-bit and 16-bit machines is far superior to what has been produced on CD-based machines.

What's remarkable is many of the best tunes were written in 4 channel sound (only 4 sounds can be played at once) and since one channel was always left free for sound effects it was effectively 3 channel sound. It's as if the restrictions represented by the hardware forced programmers to come up with imaginative and original music that stood out from the crowd.

My personal favourites are:

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (Commodore 64)
            Bionic Commando (Commodore 64)
            LED Storm (Commodore 64)
            Black Lamp (Commodore 64)
            Xenon 1 & 2 (Atari ST)
            Equinox (SNES)
            Plok (SNES)
            Actraiser 1 & 2 (SNES)
            Castlevania IV (SNES)
            Super Turrican 1 & 2 (SNES)

If I had to choose one favourite then it would be Equinox on the SNES by Tim Follin. It has a magical, mysterious, folky sound to it - able to conjure up images of otherwordly landscapes. A true masterpiece.
            Last edited by Pikman; 10-08-2004, 01:58.

Comment

I dunno, i think it's more to do with the changing time period than the intent of the developer. For example, when the early cd-based units came out (Mega CD, 3DO e.t.c) these games had cracking CD audio, i think that because it was something new they woul dpoor a lot of effort into creating a great quality soundtrack, where nowadays they just scrape in any old garbage because it's become the norm. Only games i can think of from the last few years with truly standout soundtracks are the Shenmue games and Red Dead Revolver.

Comment

The ones that stand out to me are -

Chrono trigger - Snes
                Donkey Kong country - Snes
                Equinox - C64
                Last ninja 1 & 2 - C64
                Axeslay - Snes

I guess its not a case of good music, but music thats fits in with the game in hand.

Comment

mmm, Bubble Bobble and New Zealand Story, sugary sweet and cuts through any other noise in the house when I fire up the arcade cab!

annoyingly catchy and hummable for the rest of the day...

Comment

Some games today have stunning music. You mentioned schmups, but Ikaruga has amazing music!! I really liked wind waker music as well. But music in the old days was just as good, probably better:

Anything by Square particularly Chrono Trigger
                    Anything by Rare particularly Goldeneye and DKC
                    Jackal
                    Zelda
                    Kid Icarus (best tune ever)
                    i could list loads but I'll stop here.

Comment

Never found what was so good about Square music, classical music of any sort does not sound good through tiny samples.

Still I love the Yamaha FM sound chip in the Megadrive, granted it sucks at samples but who cares? Valis 3 music sounds better on the Megadrive then it does on the PC Engine CD-ROM. And if that talented Yuzo Koshiro can make 'The Shamen' sound good then it must be a good console.

Then again don't assume that just because there is a CD attached to a console then it means it will use CD music, as Popfulmail on the Mega CD used a mixture of PCM samples and the internal sound chip to produce some really nice music.

Comment

I agree that their are still some excellent tunes around now and some aren`t just streamed off the DVD but I must admit to not finding many of them as glorious as the midi/chip music era.

The Japanese still try to stay-true to videogame music and resisit jumping on the Hollywood soundtrack band-wagon. They definitely have more respect and passion for games than in the west. The popularity of schmups proves they aren`t quick to dismiss things as retro and inferior.

When it comes down to it I would say the problem is more a Western one. The arrival of non-games musicians with big studios churning out generic Hollywood style background drivel has become the norm. Its sad because the U.K was always home to great games musicians that created many tunes that could easily compare quality wise to Japanese works.

I know theres no going back I just lament the passing of true videogame music and the arrival of compositions that go against what videogames are all about, excitement.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-08-2004, 21:32.

Comment

Starlight zone for sure
                          some of the Sonic R Tunes
                          ending music from SOR 2
                          boss music from SOR
                          the death music from revenge of shinobi which i heard so many times cos im crap at it !

Comment

Originally posted by Pikman

My personal favourites are:

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (Commodore 64)
                            Bionic Commando (Commodore 64)
                            LED Storm (Commodore 64)
                            Black Lamp (Commodore 64)
                            Xenon 1 & 2 (Atari ST)
                            Equinox (SNES)
                            Plok (SNES)
                            Actraiser 1 & 2 (SNES)
                            Castlevania IV (SNES)
                            Super Turrican 1 & 2 (SNES)

If I had to choose one favourite then it would be Equinox on the SNES by Tim Follin. It has a magical, mysterious, folky sound to it - able to conjure up images of otherwordly landscapes. A true masterpiece.
                            Great choices bud, all those Snes games have fantastic music. Plok is a great game in every way, but the music is simply sensational. Actraiser will always be in my head, the start-up music is phenomenal, as is the rest of the music. Castlevania4 is probably my favourite out of your list, I love nearly every tune from it, I even made a C.D for my mates.

Contra3 Snes has some of the greastest tunes ever and they all fit-in perfectly with the action. The Snes sound-chip is definitely in a class of its own, though the Amiga chip was close.

Comment

The Mega Drive had a very good sound chip IF it was programmed well. Unfortunately 90% of the western game developers just produced pure crap like always. In Japan it was another matter. Technosoft produced some amazing audio from the Mega Drive through their Thunder Force series as well as Devil Crash, Elemental Master and Herzog Zwei. Sega also produced a few good tunes for the Mega Drive but the King has to be Yuzo Koshiro ! When I heard his Super Shinobi music back in 1988 I was amazed at how good a game could sound. Then came Bare Knuckle (Streets Of Rage) which I thought was the ultimate in Mega Drive audio only to be proven wrong when Bare Knuckle II came out. Shame that Bare Knuckle III sounded as if it had crashed (^v^). Other Japanese companies such as the Telenet Group (Wolf Team, Reno, Laser Soft and Riot) produced some nice tunes on the Mega Drive from their games such as the Valis series, Granada X and Arcus Odyssey.

Then we have the Super Famicom (SNES) This revolutionised the way audio was used in games. Squaresoft produced some wonderful orchestral music on the SFC with many other companies following suit. There are far too many companies that produced great music on the SFC but most noticeable were Squaresoft, Enix, Konami, Banpresto (loved their stuff) and Bandai. Capcom's music was generally weak on the SFC apart from Super Ghouls'n Ghosts and Demon Crest.

Before consoles sounded good the Japanese were enjoying amazing sound through the Sharp X68000 home computer. This system used polyphonic midi to create it's sound which still sounds amazing even to this day. Many early Mega Drive and SFC games started life on the Sharp X68000 such as Valis, Granada, Thunder Force, Genocide, Phalanx and so on.

Since Game consoles went the way of CD I can only think of a handful of games that have beautiful or well made CHIP music.
                              Panzer Dragoon II Zwei - Saturn
                              NiGHTS - Saturn
                              Shenmue 1 & 2 - Dreamcast (Maybe streamed ADX files but not sure)
                              Magic Knight Rayearth - Saturn
                              Astel - Saturn
                              Skies Of Arcadia - Dreamcast
                              Urusei Yatsura forever my love (LUM) - Mega CD
                              Silpheed - Mega CD
                              Popful Mail - Mega CD
                              Technomotor - Saturn
                              O.TO.I.RE. - Dreamcast

there are probably quite a few more but it's getting late so I can't remember at the moment.

Yakumo

Last edited by Yakumo; 10-08-2004, 23:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X