Midnight Run 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midnight Run 2

I was thinking about classic arcade machines and one of my favourite racers ever popped in to my head.

This Konami racer was released in 1996. The first time I saw it at the Trocadero it literally blew me away. The combination of racing along busy highways and sublime graphics and sound, made this one of my favourite arcade experiences.

2-Player racing was especially exciting, as the traffic made for a very feverish and gripping battle.

Here is a link to the arcade flyer. If it stirs a few memories, let me know what you thought of the game. Also, were there any sequels???

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=fl...id=679&image=1

I really enjoyed Midnight run great fun 2 player, it did get a Psone release eventually but i think the conversion was a bit arse, as it got terrible reviews.

Unfortunatly i had the displeasure of playing Crypt Killers in the same arcade

Comment

It seems only 2 people have fond memories of this great game.

Comment

It was okay. Sadly Sega and Namco had better titles out around the same time so i played it a few times but things like Daytona USA, Indy 500, Ace Driver - Victory Lap, Sega Rally, Dirt Dash and even Jalecos Speed Up got more of my hard earned dosh.

Comment

Damn fun game, though I remember thinking at the time the graphics weren't up to par with other arcade racers at the time.

Same can be said for GT Club, I loved that at the time..........however now I find it tediously slow.

Comment

I also liked Midnight Run very much. There is a "new" Konami game (maybe half a year old) which is played similarly, unfortunately I don?t remember the name. It has several courses in Tokyo, some of them pretty long (>15 minutes). Graphics are great, too, not the dull realistic look most modern console games have, but an exaggerated neon color look, bundled with trancey music.
            Gameplay-wise, it?s a little disappointing, though, car handling lacks any serious learning curve. Basically, you just play it to enjoy the ride instead of trying to get good at it.

Comment

Midnight Run is a lot like TokyoHighwayChallenge, but made a long time before. I just loved the game so much, it was just so addictive and thrilling, and at the time the graphics blew me away.

I will have to check the arcades for this newer version, it sounds promising, I love racing down highways. 8)

Comment

I was wrong, the new game is not from Konami, but from Namco, and it?s called Wangan Midnight: Maximum Tune. http://www.system16.com/namco/hrdw_system246.html
                It?s actually 3-4 years old already, although the game I?ve played in the arcade looked better, so it may be a sequel.

Comment

Working...
                X