Super Famicom (SNES) Modem, Software and Crazy Pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Famicom (SNES) Modem, Software and Crazy Pad

Here is the rare-ish modem complete with Software and crazy controller for the Super Famicom.

The Modem as far as I know only had one function and that was to allow you to do online betting Via the official JRA (Japanese Horse Racing) online service. The modem ran on the NTT lines which probably means that NTT (Nippon Telecommunications) also had something to make out of this service or at least they thought they did :-D

The front of the modem is nothing too exciting really apart from the Super Famicom logo

The back has the power in and the standard dial up connection soccet. The modem connected to the SFC via the control ports

The sticker on the bottom doesn't really tell us much that we don't allready know apart from that the modem was made in Taiwan

Inside the modem

This seems to be one of the main chips on the board. Probably the Bios

Another close up, this time of the center chip

This is the crazy looking pad that you use for betting.

The JRA PAT Software cartridge

Finally the instructions. No expense spared I see mt043

Yakumo

Cheers for that, I always find your topics both intresting and informative. keep 'em coming!

Comment

Nintendo inspired the Jaguar pad too? o_O

Comment

Originally posted by Smegaman
        Nintendo inspired the Jaguar pad too? o_O
        Nice.

Comment

It was released in May 1997 (so maybe it was copying the Jaguar pad...) and was originally Y12,000, it allowed you to check form, courses and place bets on horses similar software was available for the Dreamcast too. Two cartridges were made for this system, both the same except with minor updates. The system originally came in a white box and featured a large manual 100 page A4 manual. The modem is only 2400 bps but you didn't really need anything faster as you only needed to download Teletext like pages (the modem was not used for anything else). NTT Data handled the system, they still do for mobile phones, Windows and Macintosh. JRA is the Japanese Racing Association.

As far as I can tell you can still use the system to place bets..
          Last edited by MD; 01-11-2004, 07:55.

Comment

interestting topic cheers, what sort of prices does the modem/game/pad go for on ebay ?

Comment

Not a lot you should be able to pick them up for around Y2000 or less. They are Rare in the 'Quite a few around, but have very little use so most collectors don't care too much' catergory.

Comment

I got the above set for 700 yen.

Yakumo

Comment

It's missing the box and the manual.

As a sidenote, this system also exisited on the Famicom and yes it has an oversided Famicom pad with numerical buttons in the middle. I'll see if I can did up photos of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X