No announcement yet.

I junked my SNES collection this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This being the 1988 act ahgh who cares. I was only trying to make a point . if you see above there are provisions for essentially a back up but i doubt you back up your own carts - I know I dont! Therefore to back them up and then make them available for everyone else is illegal and by downloading it you are in breach of copyright.

Comment

Absolutely, the act of distributing rom images is clearly illegal, unless perhaps both parties own the cartridge (and even then...)

However, owning Super Mario Kart on cartridge and playing the rom image with an emulator is perfectly legal; using a legitimate backup copy (say because your battery backed ram has failed in the cart) in fair use (an emulator may for whatever reason be more convenient).

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
        Absolutely, the act of distributing rom images is clearly illegal, unless perhaps both parties own the cartridge (and even then...)

However, owning Super Mario Kart on cartridge and playing the rom image with an emulator is perfectly legal; using a legitimate backup copy (say because your battery backed ram has failed in the cart) in fair use (an emulator may for whatever reason be more convenient).

Ok so how do you, yes you, back up your mario kart cartridge? The provisions allows the purchasor of the license (software) to copy it in SOME circumstances when allowed. By downloading the game the person providing the image is breaking the law and so are you whether you own it or not. We are talking about trading 1s and 0s, it seems easy and is but unfortunatly the law does not see it that way.

Comment

Ok so how do you, yes you, back up your mario kart cartridge?
          http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/copiers/copiers.htm

That ought to do it

Now you're on to legality of backup devices though :/

Comment

Working...
          X