No announcement yet.

F-Zero: Welcome to the Future!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just seen this, man that gamer needs to get out more. Impressive though.

Comment

Originally posted by the_dude
      Just seen this, man that gamer needs to get out more. Impressive though.
      Was the game always that fast? don't remember it going by that quick.

Comment

ahh F-zero, also the first game i saw one the snes, (not too long after getting my megadrive). One of those magic early snes titles. It's funny how the music is always cited as an important part of these games we remember so fondly. The opening to Mute City is a long time favourite myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelli0n
          ahh F-zero, also the first game i saw one the snes, (not too long after getting my megadrive). One of those magic early snes titles. It's funny how the music is always cited as an important part of these games we remember so fondly. The opening to Mute City is a long time favourite myself.
          I'm a big fan of synth style midi music. Consoles and computers always had custom soundchips that produced their own unique sound.

I think the reason people go on about the music, is simply because a lot of classic games featured really catchy midi music that really got into your head.

I consider midi/chip music to be the purest and most suitable way of creating videogame tunes. Chip tunes tend to blend with the visuals to create a better marriage, and it ultimately sounds more natural and fitting.

F-Zero is a prime example of this. Each track has a tune that feels at one with the game. I personally find each tune enhances and works in perfect harmony with the game to make the experience even more captivating.

Look at the F-ZeroGX, Outrun2 etc.. These are new games, but it's the old melodies lots of people remember the most after playing. Some would say it's nostalgia or familiarity, but I put it down to fine-craftmanship. There is no doubt chip/midi composers usually put a lot more passion into their work, and the results were often magical.

Comment

Never did get on with F-Zero, just not a fan of all that accelerator tapping, felt like they did that just to make it a pain in the arse on purpose. Much more of a fan of the N64 one and obviously F-Zero GX which is IMO best in the series. Music from the SNES one is ace tho, providing nice opportunity for remixes further down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
              Never did get on with F-Zero, just not a fan of all that accelerator tapping, felt like they did that just to make it a pain in the arse on purpose. Much more of a fan of the N64 one and obviously F-Zero GX which is IMO best in the series. Music from the SNES one is ace tho, providing nice opportunity for remixes further down the line.
              F-ZeroGX look like a visual orgy for the eyes, but beyond that it's not what I truely wanted from a GC version. Sega made it more of a ' Daytona ' experience, and it never really has the ' F-Zero ' feel or vibe I hunger for.

F-Zero X is a fantastic title. Imo I feel it has more ' Nintendo Magic ' compared to GX. Everything about it shines bright with brilliance.

It's the original I enjoy the most though. The visuals, sound, and gameplay.. are all magestic. What more can I say? It's the version that I play the most, and it just has a magical vibe that makes me smile!

I'm really hoping for a DS or REV version. F-Zero is a brilliant series!

Comment

I was a little underwhelmed by F Zero GX too, it's a great game but I feel it just can't match up to F Zero X which is my favourate in the series and problably my favourate racing game of all time. I thought the course design was little lacking in F-Zero GX. If you want a laugh go read the review on Gamespot. (http://www.gamespot.com/n64/driving/fzero10/review.html)

How wrong can you get it? No soul my ass.

Comment

Seeing the F-Zero track zoom into view was the reason I got a SNES. Simply it was the future - so ahead of it's time. I played it until I finished it - the sense of achievement was something else.

I've never played F-Zero 2, should I? I got a bit bored with the GBA versions.

Also, grab the orchestrated "F-Zero Arranged" soundtrack. It really brings back those memories.

Music review: http://www.rpgamers.net/VGMReview.cfm?vgmreviewid=69
                  Music download: http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/147

Comment

Originally posted by emsef
                    I got a bit bored with the GBA versions.
                    In my opinion even F-Zero X and GX never came any close to the SNES-original. Just shows how brilliant this game was. I even plug it in today sometimes and do some races on master difficulity.

Comment

The sequels are far better imo. The handling sucks on the snes / gba version in comparison (yeah, now you can call me a n00b!)

Comment

F-Zero X is by far and away my favourite of the series, and is tied with Wave Race 64 as my favourite ever racing game. Got to love racing on Silence, it is possible to travel so fast that your ship fly's off the track into oblivion 8)

Hope we see a DS version at e3!

Comment

Originally posted by emsef
                          Seeing the F-Zero track zoom into view was the reason I got a SNES. Simply it was the future - so ahead of it's time. I played it until I finished it - the sense of achievement was something else.

I've never played F-Zero 2, should I? I got a bit bored with the GBA versions.
                          No2 is the same game, but with horrible ship designs and more fiendish tracks. Anyone that likes no1, will enjoy no2.

Back to the debate. I really like GX, but the track design is mostly poor, and the behaviour of the rivals etc.. makes it feel like Daytona. It looks like a fantasy come true though, but after the amazement factor fades, it shows itself to lack the soul of the previous versions. As much as I like Sega and GX, I really wish Nintendo had made the GC version.

When I first got the N64 version, I must admit I felt a bit let-down. The metal style music was a shock, the visuals seemed a bit drab, but when I took it all in, I really fell in love with the game. It's one of those games who's magic suddenly hits you and you realise how much fun you're having with it.

The GBA editions are pretty poor imo. The first one is basically a drab version of the original. It has dull visuals, the music isn't great, and whilst it's still playable, I much prefer the snes version. The other GBA games just don't gell with me. They seem too much style over real gripping gameplay, and ultimately feel like Nintendo trying to appeal to non-fans.

I am very eager to see a DS version, and hopefully a REV edition at E3!

Comment

Originally posted by w?stling
                            In my opinion even F-Zero X and GX never came any close to the SNES-original. Just shows how brilliant this game was. I even plug it in today sometimes and do some races on master difficulity.
                            Couldn't agree more. F-Zero was the game that made me want a SNES, and is an old time cassic , that will never age (much like its music score) .
                            The N64 version was a massive letdown to me, its didn't fell like F-Zero and the music was so cr8p. GX is an amazing ride , and in many ways a perfect Arcade game, but inthe home it sucks bigtime.

For me the updates were far too frantic , unlike the relaxing original

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                              F-Zero was the game that made me want a SNES
                              Me too, i had the Megadrive at that time (which was also a great system), but when i seen F-Zero running, that was it, i had made up my mind i was getting a snes. That game (at the time) was definitely wank material. The whole Mode 7 thing was excellent.

Back then if someone said, in the future you could download Snes and Megadrive games from one console, you'd be like "call the men in white coats for this person" but it's going to happen this year. Which is great because not everyone keep's there old systems, plus you'll get the chance to play all those classics again, which otherwise would cost a small fortune to pick up now.

I do hope his Virtual Console concept Nintendo have got in place does for videogames what i-Tunes did for digital music. And if it does and other games of a small budget get developed, then there going to be happy time ahead for every gamer. Roll on E3.

Comment

Good to hear there's others who are fans of the SNES version, but not really fans of the N64 and GC sequels. I thought I was alone!

Comment

Working...
                                X