SEGA SATURN - the discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S3M
    Go for the Japanese version of CE, I find it to be much better than the awful first port
    Unless you want a game which resembles Daytona, in which case play the first port :P

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
      Unless you want a game which resembles Daytona, in which case play the first port :P
      Nah, all you have to do is unlock the daytona car to get, the daytona feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireproofradiator
        Hola. Is there a way to get rid of yellowing on pads, consoles etc then? I figured it was just 'there' and not something that could be scrubbed away or owt, but I'd love to be wrong about this...
        If it's yellowing caused by sunlight it is there for good, it's caused by chemical changes within the plastic and I don't think there is any way of reversing it. If it's caused by smoke then maybe some plastic friendly cleaner could help, not too sure to be honest as I've never tried to clean smoke yellowed stuff.

Comment

I was gonna give Soukyugurengai, Shin Shinobi Den and Pocket Fighter a go to cover shooters, 'arcade action' and fighters respectively - but are these decent representations?
          I think you have those mixed up with Battle Garrega and Virtual Fighter 2. Shin Shinobi Den is rubbish. Get a Mega Drive Shinobi instead, unless I'm getting my games mixed up (Shin Shinobi has those crappy 'real' sprite things, kind of like Mortal Combat). NiGHTS comes highly recommended or if you want proper arcade stuff, get Elevator Action Returns.

Anyone got any suggestions for other genres or games therein they reckon would be a good test, or would like me to have a go at with the infrareds? Anyone care to recommend a nice, arcadey-handling racer in particular? Just as a point of reference my fave recent racers were the Rallisport series, rather than Richard Burns or even Project Gotham...
          <chant>SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally, SEGA Rally</chant>

Cheers gents.
          You're welcome

(That post was a joke, right?)
          Last edited by Commander Marklar; 01-10-2006, 12:31.

Comment

Okay, well if anyone can hear me over Commandar Markar's shouting, I got my wireless pads yesterday

Here's a run down for anyone who's interested.

No box, so I just got the two pads plus the receiver. The receiver has two plugs, and fixes into both control pad slots on your saturn console. Good, solid fit on my white JPN console. No idea whether this would also work on a PAL or US console - happy to try this out on the former if there's interest/Watusi'll let me.

The pads themselves are exactly the same length and width as the normal white wired JPN pad, but twice the depth. You've got two battery compartments on the underside - 1xAA battery in each and these are located on each 'wing' of the controller, which is kinda cute.

Buttonwise it's the same positioning as the normal wired controller with the addition of a 'function' button on the face next to the start button (no idea what this does), plus a switch on the back of the controller (the opposite end to the intfrared sensor on the front...) which has three settings '1P', 'TV' and '2P'. Haven't had a chance to try out 2 player yet...

Build is as good as the wired controller - *digital* pad is slightly tighter and heavier but not distractingly so, and the six ABCXYZ buttons plus two 'trigger' buttons on the front are all just the same as the wired pad.

So how does it control? Pretty damn good, is the answer. There's a couple of things to bear in mind - because it's infrared then you need a clear path between the sensor on the pad and the receiver, so you're best off with your console near your telly, and the signal seemed to be good for about eight feet on my set (this was with a new set of batteries, might be less on drained batteries). Any further than that and it starts to drop responses.

So as long as you don't have any crack pipes in the way of your saturn or an extra large lounge aside, you'll be fine. And if you had your eyes closed you probably wouldn't notice the difference between this and a wired controller apart from the really nice convenience of not having any wires! I've tried out Prikura Daisensan and Thunderforce V plus Metal Slug, Waku Waku 7 and Wipeout (no Sega Rally, Commander, unfortunately) and they all played great - don't think it missed a single move or button press throughout.

So I'd definitely recommend them. Hope this is useful to someone.

I'll update this post with 2 player impressions soon as poss.
            Last edited by Fireproofradiator; 10-10-2006, 22:13.

Comment

Okay, well if anyone can hear me over Commandar Markar's shouting, I got my wireless pads yesterday
              I think I misread your original post...

Thunderforce V
              ...so all is forgiven. Best shooter on the Saturn.

Comment

analog pad is slightly tighter

that's an error, right ? (digital)

Comment

Oops - yup, thanks Shinebi - edited!

I'm starting to notice the very specific angle of the receiver works in now after a few hours play... Just got Capcom Generation 4 on the basis of Yakumo's review at segagaga (and Mercs is just as good as he says - a really pure and fun commando-esque shooter) and my musclebound avatar keeps on stopping dead when I point the controller in the wrong direction. Oops. I'm only sat six feet away and two feet to the left of my console... Sad smiley face.

PS Glad we're back on track commander - you're one of the retro forums best posters.

Comment

I found the wireless Saturn pads totally unusable, with the benefit of no cable being totally outweighed by having to keep your hands at an unatural position and even then the signal fails from time to time. God help you if you're playing Street Fighter or something strenuous. Fair play if they work for you though.

Comment

@ Fireproofradiator: how much did you pay for CG4? (new or 2nd hand?)
                      I don't know what to ask for it...
                      (wrong topic, but now we're on it, why not )

Comment

Just got Keio Flying Squadron yesterday and had a good Saturn session last night. I'm amazed at just how much imagination and love has been put into the game. The character design, the level design- everything has been made purely to make playing it fun.

The first level alone shows so much more imaginative design than any number of current gen titles you could mention:

Start off platforming- fairly straightforward (and somehow reminded me of Castle of Illlusion- I think it's the sound effect when you jump), then off into a cutesy horizontal shooter on a little dragon, then the boss battle in a sumo stadium with some bizarre monster that cries and hops about on a pencil. All within the one level. Ace.

It's exactly this kind of off-the-wall, carefree gaming that makes the Saturn so special. The games are made to be enjoyed and made purely for the fun of it- the polar opposite of the po-faced "adult" bollocks that so many modern games aspire to.

On another note, I bought Final Fight Revenge recently off here for a really good price, but then the friggin' courier company lost it in transit. I don't fancy paying the usual 70-100 quid it goes for on Ebay because I know that's artificially high. I'm fully aware that the game's supposed to be a bit pony, but I'm a bit of an FF fan and ever since I got my Saturn I've felt an irresistible draw to buy the game (but not Silvergun for some reason). Anyone got any insider tips where I might be able to pick it up for a more reasonable price? (I'm not looking for the boxset either, just the game in good nick).

Comment

God don't buy it thank the others for losing it!
                          I got Final Fight Revenge for the STV & OMFG I never knew there were games this bad available trust, it is total ****e

Im sure you have heard that all before but thats why the saying and fool & his money are easily parted!? I should know

Keio 2 is a magical game, was it the Japanese version you played? The PAL version is SO funny & im sure the Japanese version wont do some of the levels justice unless you speak Japanese, some of what is being said is funny as ****! 8)

Comment

Shinebi - CG4 was ?3.95. Think I got a bargain, tbh. Mercs is teh luverly...

Comment

Originally posted by Katsujinken
                              Keio 2 is a magical game, was it the Japanese version you played? The PAL version is SO funny & im sure the Japanese version wont do some of the levels justice unless you speak Japanese, some of what is being said is funny as ****! 8)
                              Yeh it was the Japanese version- I didn't realise how much dialogue is in the game. Nevermind, still looks and plays ace.

Comment

Just unearthed this thread while searching for Saturn stuffs. Pretty interesting

I was just looking for a suitable place to put my Saturn ramblings!

I have to disagree on Shin Shinobi Den though. I think it's brilliant fun. Not as good as the megadrive version(s) but worthy anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X