In The Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In The Hunt

I got this in the post today (Saturn version, I think it came out on PS1 too) after hearing that it was worth picking up. Metal Slug in submarines, or something along those lines.

I've had a quick blast through the first level and it's pretty good going. A nice, satisfying shmup with pretty groovy big sprites etc. You know, lots of submarine warfare-themed explosions and ****. I didn't find it too hard either, and I'm not the world's best shoot 'em upper!

But, right from the get go there's some fairly bad slowdown, and the music is horrible!

Do you get the arranged (remixed) music option with the Saturn In the Hunt then? I've got the PSOne release, which is supposed to have even less slowdown than the arcade original but I've never tried that one so I can't compare them.

Bought mine a few months ago but haven't played it much yet.

Comment

Back in the day I didn't pay much attention to this. I think the reviews were negative- but then again 2D wasn't cool in 1996.

I played the game recently and I was really impressed with the graphics- they really do have a Metal Slug Style to them. I wonder if the same people were involved in this? The gameplay is full of action- a bit slow but I soon got used to the pace. I really like this game- not a AAA title imo, but solid enough!

Very similar to Metal Slug in style- and it's an Irem game- got to love Irem!

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj

I played the game recently and I was really impressed with the graphics- they really do have a Metal Slug Style to them. I wonder if the same people were involved in this?

Yeah they did, check out Gun Force 2 also, its near on. Might as well check out Irem Skins while ure at it for the Neo Turfmasters' mother.

Gunforce 2 is a Videogame by Irem (circa 1994). The sequel to Gunforce - Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island made by Irem.

Comment

Was actually released before Metal Slug aswell.

Comment

Not too sure about the music, it didn't mention anything specific anywhere... I turned it off anyway

Originally posted by kingston lj
            Back in the day I didn't pay much attention to this. I think the reviews were negative- but then again 2D wasn't cool in 1996.

I played the game recently and I was really impressed with the graphics- they really do have a Metal Slug Style to them. I wonder if the same people were involved in this? The gameplay is full of action- a bit slow but I soon got used to the pace. I really like this game- not a AAA title imo, but solid enough!

Yeah, I'm really liking the big, chunky sprites. The slower scrolling speed is good really since it makes it easier to dodge bullets and stuff. There's some more screen shots on http://www.retrogaming.it I found that site while bored at work today; can't understand a word of it but it's nice to look at!

And I don't recall much about this when it came out, either. I'll have a look through old SSM issues to find a review. It must be like Guardian Heroes where nobody really gave a crap about it when it first appeared.
            Last edited by nekroxide; 28-04-2005, 23:00.

Comment

It must be like Guardian Heroes where nobody really gave a crap about it when it first appeared
              Erm...everyone went ape over GA when it was released - C&VG even put it on the cover! I remember working in my dad's shop and GA was easily the biggest third-party Saturn release up to that point. We shifted loads of copies.

Comment

The reviews were negative back in the day because its slowdown-ridden pap. Quite pretty at times though.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man
                  The reviews were negative back in the day because its slowdown-ridden pap. Quite pretty at times though.
                  I'm sure the reviews were only negative with regard to the slowdown, they jizzed all over the rest of the game.

The way you put it makes it seem like the mags were beating down on gh which simply isn't true. I'd hardly call it pap, neither did the mags. Every one I read at the time said it was a must have ss game and gave it 90%+. Like Duddy says C&VG gave it the cover slot, as well as a stonking review (93% iirc).

Comment

er....my post, like the thread, was about In the Hunt.

Although, while I'm here, GH is supreme in its over-rated-ness. Though not nearly as paptastic as In the Hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                      Erm...everyone went ape over GA when it was released - C&VG even put it on the cover! I remember working in my dad's shop and GA was easily the biggest third-party Saturn release up to that point. We shifted loads of copies.

Very true GH got rave reviews Even EDGE which loved to slag the Saturn off ,gave GH a high score (think it was 8) and a great review.

The likes of Gamefan (class mag) also gave In The Hunt a top review, and pointed out that the PS version wa much better thn the Saturn version (much less slowdown)

Comment

Well, that's me told! I do remember it getting good reviews but I'm sure it wasn't hyped up like a lot of Sega's own games were. Anyway...

Comment

Working...
                        X