Should i buy a megadrive?Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should i buy a megadrive?Help!

Hi everyone,not a massively original question i know!But im really am confused!This is a question ive been asking myself for the best part of 15 years!Ive been close on so many times to taking the plunge but ive never quite done,in the past mainly for finanial reasons and now mainly because i have some of the md games i wanted on other formats and what with not really having much time to play the formats and games i have now should i really be buying another format?Or have i left it too late?Theres a jap md just wating for me to lay my battered credit card on it!Your opinions please!

yes do it, their so cheap money is hardly a consideration unless you plan on buying uber rare stuff - i have fond memories of that system, i love the old 16 bit games

Comment

Yes, Yes and again, yes.

It's my all time favourite console and like AYB says, the prices are stupid these days. You can pick these things up at car boots for under a fiver. There's really no excuse these days.

Comment

So thats a yes then!Somethings still holding me back,not sure why?!!Its not the money(not that im rolling in it!)

Comment

It's probably that the MD has never been seen as collectable when compared to other consoles.

Comment

Look at the "post everything you get something" thread. I bet if you go back you would be lucky to find a tasty bit of MD goodness that exceeded a tenner in price. Games are ridiculously cheap and often in pretty good condition due to the durable, tough boxes. I have never spent more than a few quid on a MD game, and it is a brilliant console not only for some nice, lengthy rpg type stuff (Shining Force, Gauntlet IV, Wonderboy In Monster World) but some pick up and play classics (Thunderforce, Gynoug, Golden Axe) and some real stunners (Gunstar Heroes, Sonic 2, Ristar, Contra, Streets of Rage 2). My ONLY criticism, the ONLY thing I can think of (and I will probably be jumped on by Duddy and Wheelaa) is that the MD lacks many great 2D one on one fighters. There are commendable versions of two SFII games, and barely playable SNK ports available. Other than that we are in Eternal Champions and Rise Of The Robots territory. Still - a small section of the gaming spectrum, and MD is probably the best of the 16-bits for it's wealth of brilliant shooters.

Even if you go to Gamestation and get one for a score, it will be worth it. Especially if there is a car boot sale near you. They seem to attract MD games!

Comment

My ONLY criticism, the ONLY thing I can think of (and I will probably be jumped on by Duddy and Wheelaa) is that the MD lacks many great 2D one on one fighters
              This is true but outside of the NeoGeo AES there weren't that many 2D fighters on rival machines either. The SNK conversions on the SNES were also pretty dire (although the PCE did get a brilliant versions of Fatal Fury 2 and Special). It wasn't until the days of the Saturn that 2D fighters really came into their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                This is true but outside of the NeoGeo AES there weren't that many 2D fighters on rival machines either. The SNK conversions on the SNES were also pretty dire (although the PCE did get a brilliant versions of Fatal Fury 2 and Special). It wasn't until the days of the Saturn that 2D fighters really came into their own.
                Fatal Fury Special on the Snes was excellent - it also had a superb conversion of Street Fighter Alpha 2 - christ knows how they managed that.

But you are right - it wasn't as if the 16 bit generation was stacked with brilliant fighters outside of Neo-land, apart from SF series, Mortal Kombat series at a push.

Comment

Its nothing to do with cost or the colletabilty or otherwise of the md,its im worried im gonna be dissapointed after all this time,and never having owned one back in the day or a snes!(as much as i wanted both!)what can i expect?Has anyone here bought a md recently,and are you pleased or not?And why?There are so many games ive been waiting to play since 1989,but im worried there not gonna stand up in 05,im not expecting graphics and gameplay at todays standards(if i want that id play my other consoles)but how good are things like shadow dancer,alien storm,eswat,midnight resistance,super shinobi,mercs etc,etc gonna be today?

Comment

**** me - is SuperDanX trying to wind us all up or what? Just buy the console before Duddy comes round your house and forces one through your letterbox!

BUY IT

Comment

**** me - is SuperDanX trying to wind us all up or what? Just buy the console before Duddy comes round your house and forces one through your letterbox!

BUY IT
                      LOL

I can see Dan's point - I'd be lying if I said nostalgia didn't have some part to play in my love of the machine. However I think even without happy memories of the console there's still loads to love.

Comment

TBH SuperDanX sounds like you don't want to get an MD.

I can't believe I'm even suggesting this but just go down the rom route that way you won't 'waste' (ahem) your money.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys!I can assure you im not winding you up!You can see why its taken me 15 years!!So far! To make up my mind!Ha,ha,ha!I drive myself crazy:-)i do want a md,but i just want to know what to expect super shinobi for example looked like the coolest ninja game id ever seen in the mean machines review but when i got to play it a decade or so later on my dc i liked it but i WAS dissapointed,though bizzarely if i get a md,i want to buy it again!God im confused!Emu is not an option im afraid,i'll leave you guys to persuede me one way or the other if you wish too,and i'll read with intrest and post back on this thread tommorow if i decide to go ahead with my purchase,if any one gives a ****!Cheers!

Comment

Sorry but...if you need this much convincing (and any serious purchaser wouldn't, 1 game would sell a console to them, if it was their favourite type) you are probably better off not buying one, the only person talking you out of buying one.....is yourself.

Comment

Sort of what I was trying to say, gamerade - kudos for doing it without resorting to swear words.

Comment

Working...
                              X