Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Game Of The Month - June - Ghosts & Goblins trilogy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Game Of The Month - June - Ghosts & Goblins trilogy!

Twenty (yes - twenty!) years ago, Capcom released what was to be one of the most fondly remembered platformers of all time, the exceptional, rock hard Makaimura - aka Ghosts and Goblins in the West. I guess I am really showing my age, but I can remember playing this in 1986, soon after it was released, whilst on holiday with my folks. I was hooked. It was the first platformer I can remember playing that had such a choice of weapons; it had such charming, often amusing graphics and animation (Nazca must have been influenced to some degree by the series when they produced their awesome Metal Slug series). Anyone who loves games will remember that when hit by an enemy, our protagonist - Sir Arthur of Camelot - was reduced to fighting on in nothing but his shreddies. One more hit, and he is reduced to a pile of bones, with the skull falling neatly on top. Add to the mix some amusing enemies. I will never forget the spitting, almost cocky, carnivourous green plant that always seemed to nail you when climbing a ladder. Then there were the goofy, broomstick riding ghosts; the persistent, annoying sprites in the Ice Palace, and of course the legendary demon Red Arremer - but more on him later.

It was a year before G & G recieved home conversions. Back in the day, I managed to pick up the C64 version, which at the time suited me fine. But far more competent versions arrived for the NES, Amiga, PC and Atari ST. More recently, versions have appeared on Gameboy Color, and even as a mobile phone game (Japan only). Who would have thought it, eh?

So popular was Capcom's original, that of course a sequel had to follow. Daimakaimura (Ghouls & Ghosts) hit the arcades in 1988. A slicker, more polished game, it introduced more weapons, and a new powered-up suit of armour that could be combined with weapons to create a charge-and-blast super attack. Arthur could now also throw projectiles vertically. To compensate for his new powers, the baddies were even harder than in the original, and opening a treasure chest in the sequel could see the poor feller transformed into a wizened old man, or even a duck. The graphics and animation were once again superb, and the game itself a few notches harder than the original. Home conversions were inevitable. The most widely known home version was for the Megadrive/Genesis. A near arcade perfect port, this game alone helped Sega shift a fair few units of their black 16-bit beast. Cracking versions also popped up on the home computers once more, with a special mention going out to the C64 version, which had absolutely awesome music for it's time (and the machine's capabilities). Superb conversions were also produced for the Sharp X68000, NEC Supergrafx, and Sega Master System. As recently as 1999, an incarnation of Daimakaimura even surfaced on Bandai's Wonderswan handheld. Alas, it was the same in name only - this was a completely new game, with different levels and bosses never seen before in the series. I have not played this myself, but from opinions online, it is well worth a look for Sir Arthur junkies.

Remember I said I would get back to the Red Arremer? Well, in 1990, the popular crimson devil got his own game. Red Ariimaa - Makaimura Gaiden, or Gargoyle's Quest as it was known over here, was released on the Gameboy. An RPG-ish platformer (imagine G&G crossed with Zelda - The Adventures Of Link) it went down extremely well and remains one of the better titles released for the monochrome handheld. A sequel, Red Ariimaa 2 / Gargoyle's Quest II was released two years later on the Famicom/NES, and went down well. The sequel was also converted to the Gameboy in 1993, known as Gargoyle's Quest II - The Demon Darkness. The GB version was the better of the two, and once again became known as a standout title for the machine. The red dude was not finished there, however. In 1994, the frankly awesome Demon's Blazon/Demon's Crest was released for the SNES/SFC. Taking the best bits from the earlier games, and harnessing the power of the 16 bit console to create a roaming, 3D overworld and brilliantly realised, dark and atmospheric levels, Capcom had produced one of the best games for the machine. I would strongly urge anyone on here who hasn't played it to pick it up pronto. It is hard to believe that back in 1986, that demon I had so much difficulty killing off, the bastard that would peer down from his pile of skulls, would later be blowing me away on my SNES.

Back to the chase. It was inevitable that Arthur would appear on the SFC/SNES. And he did - in a Nintendo-exclusive G&G game - the superb Chohmakaimura / Super Ghouls & Ghosts. Of course, as expected there was a bit of willy waving and the developers were very generous in utilizing the Mode 7 and sprite scaling capabilities the console offered. Thankfully, slowdown issues aside, it didn't affect the playability, as Sir Arthur got to roam through the most brilliantly realised adventure yet. Once more there were new weapons, and a new, power-tastic green suit of armour. Some of the levels were sublime - particlularly the spooky ghost ship, and subsequent one-wrong-move-and-you-die raft section. To this day, it remains one of the platform high points on the SNES, so much so that a tasty, re-arranged port appeared recently on the GBA to all-round acclaim.

That was to be the last major G&G game. More recently, Arthur has appeared in some inspired cameo roles - as an additional striker-style character in Marvel vs Capcom (why didn't you put him in the sequel, you fools!), in the underrated Dreamcast Psikyo shooter Cannon Spike, and he is due to appear in the forthcoming Namco X Capcom rpg. There was an obscure Saturn/PSX Japan only G&G puzzle game back in 1996 (the snappily titled "Arthur To Astaroth No Nazomakaimura: Incredible Toons"), and rumoured one-on-one fighters for XBOX ("Ghosts N Goblins Online" and "Ghouls & Ghosts - Match Fight") which never appeared. The Saturn and PSX also recieved quality conversions of all three G&G titles as part of the well-worth-owning Capcom Generations series.

PS2 owners can enjoy a lovely little homage to the series in the form of the Maximo games ("Ghosts To Glory" and "VS Army Of Zin"). There canbe little excuse for not owning these playable titles, as they can both be found in bargain bins across the country.

Alas, that would appear to be the end of the road for Sir Arthur and co. I would love to see a new, hi-res 2D version appear on one of the consoles, but you and I know that probably isn't going to happen. It is a shame - because as has been touched upon many times on these forums, no-frills 2D platforming is a dying art. That saddens me, particularly when you see how well the likes of Capcom and Konami have used the format in the past. Playable, instant classics like G&G should never be ignored. If you don't own an incarnation of any of these games, then MAME the ****ers and play them TODAY. If you DO own one or more then at the weekend just have a blast, for old time's sake. Hopefully my screens will whet your appetite.

Ciao for now, bitches!
    Last edited by charlesr; 05-12-2011, 16:13.

Quality series mate, i have it on the Saturn and it's hard as a coffin nail. Thanks for the interesting read...

Comment

More pics

Apologies - but I am ****e at posting pics. If they haven't come out too well, then sorry, alright? Just enjoy the brilliantly written text instead - ha ha!
      Last edited by charlesr; 05-12-2011, 16:13.

Comment

Brilliant, brilliant post Sean - brought all the good memories back!

I happened to download a midi ringtone of the G n G music to my phone last night and the first level theme is one of the best videogame tunes ever.

Comment

good article on a classic genre.
          these were the 1st 2 games that i picked up on pcb when i got my SG, due in no small amount to the hours i spent bashing away on the c64 version.
          Both games are rock solid, but the replay value grabs ya by the ghoulies and doesn't let go. Played the snes SGnG and 1CC'd it, I think the slo.o.oo.w down helps a lot, infact I'm convinced it's intentional 'cos it wasn't removed when ported to their Generations Collections on PSX/SATURN used by some devs to eliminate sprite glitches/slowdown etc. (thunderforce3 springs to mind)

Comment

Heh I have that same midi on my phone.

dunununun dunununun daaaaaaaaaaa daa daa da da dadadada

I LOVED the first in the arcade, and I remember thinking 'wow look at the secrets' the first time I summoned a gravestone wizard and he turned me into a frog. It's one of those games where I only have hazy memory of the later levels, such was the rarity of actually getting there.

For me the thing that makes and defines the GnG games and the way they play is the jumping. It's proper 'ard as you like precision platforming and no air control. I wonder how many Arthurs have fallen to their deaths facing back into the plaform they just jumped over....

Comment

Oh, and i'd take issue with...
              To this day, it remains one of the platform high points on the SNES, so much so that a tasty, re-arranged port appeared recently on the GBA to all-round acclaim
              I'd change it to "port appeared recently on the GBA to all-round utter annoyance and ..oh my f**king god, I've died again, BASTARD FKING GAME!!"

*ahem*

I do love it so though, it's like the Marquis De Sade of games.

Comment

Argh.

How much does Demon's Crest go for these days unboxed? I know the game didn't sell very well at the time so I suppose that makes it quite rare.

Damn you Sean, for making me buy even more games for my SNES!

Comment

Great feature Seany.

I absolutely love this series, the second game (Daimakaimura) is by far the best IMO. It's great to play alternate 2 player with a mate, having a race to the finish.

Comment

About ?10-15 unboxed, I would say near to ?40 for a boxed one. Worth it though - easily in my SNES top 10 and a game to die for. Sad that it didn't sell well - it got some cracking reviews when it came out. If I see one on my travels then I will pick it up for you. No way would I flog my copy (clutches cart to chest).

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                    Argh.

How much does Demon's Crest go for these days unboxed? I know the game didn't sell very well at the time so I suppose that makes it quite rare.

Damn you Sean, for making me buy even more games for my SNES!

Comment

If I see one on my travels then I will pick it up for you. No way would I flog my copy (clutches cart to chest).
                      Cheers bud. You are the car boot king!

Comment

Nice work sean,great,great,great games,thanks for reminding me of the name of that psx puzzle version,funny enough i was trying to think of the name this morning!Anybody know anything else about the psx puzzle game?Btw,there are 2 g'n'g games avalible on orange(dont know about the other networks)both by capcom,ones a puzzle game and the others a trad platform game and both are pretty good(for mobile phone games)

Comment

quite an odd coincidence but I was playin this on the MegaDrive the other day, it's too bloody hard :P 8 hours later, and I could single credit the first 3 levels but after that it all goes dramatically downhill

Tis amazing how much you improve on the game though just learning the levels. Fantastic graphical design and now one of my fave MD games. Got Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES too not actually got round to trying it yet mind, despite buying it over 6 months ago.

I never realised Gargoyles Quest was related in any way at all o_O I absolutely adored that on my Gameboy years ago before some git nicked it was lookin at buyin Gargoyles Quest 2 the other day, but the auction ended at around ?30 so was a bit steep.
                          Last edited by MikeRox; 09-06-2005, 15:13.

Comment

Oh yes, I remember this well.

I had this on the C64 and later played the arcade version (the C64 game had much better music, imo). It was hard as nails but several humiliating deaths later, you realised you were starting to pwn.

A fine representation of a time when finishing games was an earned privilege and not a right.

I played Super on the SNES once and it almost scarred me for life!

Comment

One of the first games I bought for my Amstrad CPC128.

Good conversion, as I remember. The music rocked. For the Amstrad.

Comment

Working...
                              X