Neo Geo CD Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo Geo CD Recommendations?

Could anybody give me any recommendations on what games to go for on the Neo Geo CD? I have got the PSP emulator working, and have been playing Turf Masters and Metal Slug...what rocked back in the day?

Also whats the best fighting games to go for? King of Fighters? Fatal Fury?

Any help would be great

Real Bout Special.

Samurai Shodown 2 & KOF'94 are better in CD iteration that cartridge too imo.

Comment

metal slug 2's pretty cool on cd

puzzle bobble

pulstar

Comment

Last Resort
        Viewpoint
        Windjammers
        Magical Drop 2
        Neo Driftout

Comment

Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2
          King Of Fighters 96-98
          Last Blade & Last Blade 2

Presuming these are all available on CD (I have played the AES/MVS equivalents) then they are all awesome fighters.

Comment

dont know if the load time matters on psp neocd emu

but those bigger games suck for loading times.

Comment

Originally posted by seany1979
              Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2
              King Of Fighters 96-98
              Last Blade & Last Blade 2

Presuming these are all available on CD (I have played the AES/MVS equivalents) then they are all awesome fighters.
              They are, but load times become extremely, extremely bad in later games. Of the ones you mention, KOF '98 and Last Blade 2 (you could read books in the load times for the latter) are particularly bad.

Having a CDZ makes a bit of a difference in that it's got a bigger buffer, but it's still a single-speed craaawwl.

Comment

just something about neo geo cd systems i hear they were unreliable is that true?

Comment

Out of the three neo-cd systems, the original top loading unit is the most reliable

as for the other two, the CDZ and the front loader, well the CDZ is prone to overheating and giving you disc read errors, and the front loader is tray based so its a very nice collectable but apart from that .. meh

I'd take the original top loader anyway, rock solid build, and actually works forever.

the loading speed differences between CD and CDZ is pitiful really anyway, a true fan would go make a cup of tea, and be prepared to wait

Comment

I have to say I've yet to have a problem with my CDZ - no overheating ever (though I don't punish it with lengthy sessions) and no read errors. The CDZ's buffer does make a bit of difference in some fighters as it can hold a character in buffer and not have to reload between bouts.

Bit about loading times here: http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd/loadtimes.html

(no CDZ times, which is a bit crap).

Also, it might be worth hunting down the CD exclusives: Zintrick, Iron Clad and Crossed Swords 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                      Real Bout Special.

Samurai Shodown 2 & KOF'94 are better in CD iteration that cartridge too imo.

Agreed the new music in SS 2 add a lot to the game. Also Neo Turf Masters is better on CD, thanks to a new coruse.

Comment

is there many cart games that have not and will not be released on the cd system?

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
                          is there many cart games that have not and will not be released on the cd system?
                          Yes, lots. I'm not sure if KOF'99 was the last game but that's pretty much where it ended. Also some of the earlier games with a big meg count didn't appear on CD. The CD system didn't have enough memory and the loading took too long.

Many of the best games didn't get released and some of the best fighters that actually did were painful to play because of the extensive loading. NeoCD missed titles like Garou, later KOF's, Blazing Star, Metal Slug X and 3.

So what's going on with PSP emulation? There is an emulator for NeoCD but not for the cart system? How well does it work?

Comment

Basically anything later and really big meg (like Garou and KOF 99+).

EDIT: answered above.

Comment

Originally posted by HHarm
                              So what's going on with PSP emulation? There is an emulator for NeoCD but not for the cart system? How well does it work?
                              It works very well - playable with sound! Seemingly its easy for the PSP to emulate the Neo Geo CD due to similarities in the system. Turf Masters,Metal Slug and FF Real Bout are a total treat

If your interested - here is the emu i am using ...

http://www.pspupdates.com/2005/07/ne...r-for-psp.html

Comment

Working...
                              X