X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tempted to buy a PC ENGINE.......

should i buy 1????

been tempted for ages and i love shinobi and splatterhouse on emulators

but i just can bring myself to commit to purchase 1, i've never owned 1 before so are they worth it

also if you are looking can i play turbo-grafix16 games on the pc engine since its the american version

all thoughts would be gladly accepted

Hey Buster, check these sites out, they should tell you all you need to know about the PC Engine!

The NEC Console Resource:

http://pcenginefx.com/main/

NEC Console Resource Forum:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/phpBB/

Compatibility Guide:

Hope this helps buddy.
    Last edited by the_dude; 01-09-2005, 18:14. Reason: added link

Comment

I don't know... I don't miss mine. I felt it was starting to get quite dated (I find my cut-off point for retro gaming has moved decisively into the 16-bit consoles). It is a nice little machine and if you're into the whole collecting thing it's got a lot going for it, but on the whole I find it a tad too creaky these days.

Comment

I'm definitely looking to get one as well. I was Nintendo's bitch during the 90's, and couldn't afford to have more than one console at the time anyway, so it (and the Mega Drive) passed me by. I've always wanted one though ever since I seen the original tiny white Engine sat next to a packet of Skips in an issue of C+VG.

A Japanese DUO-R/RX looks the most sensible option - that will play any JP games except SuperGrafx games & Arcade CDs (only a handful of each). I don't think US HUCards work on a JP machine, but the CDs do.

One of the PCE experts (wheelaa?) will know for sure

Comment

CD's are universal but Hu-cards aren't. There is a bridge adapter but they are very hard to come by now (i left a engine setup with games and adapter in my ex-gf's house ). It's a shame that the adapters are so damn rare as the US games go for peanuts. Jap games are much cheaper now though compared with 5 years or so ago.

If i was to buy a new one (i've got a RGB modded white'ish engine, coregrafix and Duo) i'd go for an Duo RX as they look rather sexy. You can pick up some of the classic stuff quite cheaply like Galaga 88, Bomberman, Super Star Soldier etc.

It's a great little machine with some cracking coin-op conversions but it's not for everyone.
          Last edited by Mad Gear; 01-09-2005, 18:43.

Comment

I had a GT for a while. Loved it. But money trouble forced me to sell it.

If you've got the cash there are far worse gaming things you could spend the money on!

Comment

go for it buster, theres a lot of rare games on it for you to collect.. maybe even play.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow
                go for it buster, theres a lot of rare games on it for you to collect.. maybe even play.

ah the neo-geo groupie - shagged any big collectors lately

anyway just want it for shinobi and splatterhouse

Comment

aint played any neo in a while mate

I wouldn't mind a core gfx for cheap stuff like galaga , bonk etc

I'd like a white one and not a yellow one though

Comment

Originally posted by kernow
                    aint played any neo in a while mate

I wouldn't mind a core gfx for cheap stuff like galaga , bonk etc

I'd like a white one and not a yellow one though
                    havent owned a neo in a while - have teh romz

unsure what i would be after and not too bothered about the condition as long as its boxed

i found it a nightmare trying to get a white snes - so i'm sure its probably just as difficult to find a perfect white PC engine

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
                      i found it a nightmare trying to get a white snes - so i'm sure its probably just as difficult to find a perfect white PC engine
                      Check out this recent thread: http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=45902
                      By following the bleaching method dj898 linked to in there - I now have a pearly-white PCE instead of a nasty yellow one.

Bear in mind that the oringal white PCE only has RF-output though, unless modded or coupled to an AV Booster/CD-ROM Interface Unit.

Comment

Get a pce, duo or rx. Avoid original white pce's except for collector factor unless they are modded as the picture quality is awful. Go jp, splatterhouse us has green blood. I don't think there is an adaptor to use us cards on a jp system, but I don't know for sure. There are a few the other way, Kisado is the best (there are these crappy ones on ebay us for $25, not too good apparently) and the turbo duo isn't a bad machine really.

Comment

SuperGrafx with SuperCD-ROM module will cover all bases as long as you don't want to play US release... if that case you will need either Turbo Duo or modified PC Engine Duo...

PC Engine isn't cheap platform to collect - same goes for Saturn...
                          not only consoles - PC Engine variants - cost still dearly but many of top titles demand a lot of money too...

start with the titles in the genre you like and build up slowly. With bit of patience you should be able to pick up decent/fair condition console along the way. It's when you get serious into collecting that can hit your wallet hard...

I've been collecting PC Engine stuff for many years now (not as long as Saturn though) and it all started when I saw one of Hacker International title mate of mine was playing... I was intrigued that there were unofficial titles being released for PC Engine that NEC did not want to know about... And before long PC Engine was added to my collection and I've been picking up bits and pieces ever since...

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa
                            There are a few the other way, Kisado is the best (there are these crappy ones on ebay us for $25, not too good apparently)
                            for the amount one needed for Kisado board you might as well get your Duo modified by D-Lite. He offers region mod as well as S-video output and hucard slot mod for US/JP cards...

There is another type called Diving board(?) that I have.
                            It's some what similar Kisado though not in the same colour...
                            these are mainly for the collectors...
                            I keep mine for my collection since I don't even have Turbo Duo nor Turbo-16...

Comment

Originally posted by anagrama
                              Check out this recent thread: http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=45902
                              By following the bleaching method dj898 linked to in there - I now have a pearly-white PCE instead of a nasty yellow one.

Bear in mind that the oringal white PCE only has RF-output though, unless modded or coupled to an AV Booster/CD-ROM Interface Unit.
                              I say go for the core grafx with some great games like Galaga88 . You can pick up a boxed unit and a few games for as little as 60 quid these days. Even on NTSC-UK

At that price you can sell it on if you don't enjoy the retro experiences.

Just avoid traders like that C_S bloke. Well dodgy.

/C_S

Comment

Working...
                              X