10. Metro Cross (Atari ST)

Comment

1) Super Mario 64 (N64)
      2) Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast)
      3) Robotron 2084 (Arcade)
      4) Spindizzy (Spectrum)
      5) Asteroids (Arcade)

that needed a bit of thinking...

edit - if Crazy Taxi isn't retro yet (and I'd certainly accept arguments that it isn't) then bump everything else up one and add SWOS on the Amiga at number 5.
      Last edited by mid; 13-09-2005, 14:08.

Comment

In no particular order:

1. Zelda OoT (N64)
        2. Street Fighter 3 - 3rd Strike (DC)
        3. Megaman (NES)
        4. Castlevania - SotN (PSX)
        5. Goemon 2 (SFC)

Boy that was tough...
        There are so many more I want in there.

Comment

By no means my top five "retro" games EVAR, but I spent way too much time on these and can still play 'em today, so they must be doing something right.

1: Shinobi (Arcade)
          For me this is 'the' coin-op of the mid/late eighties, slick controls, ultra-tight level design and huge replay value (can anyone get the special bonus on every level? I know I can't). Emulators aside, there has been no perfect home port of this, which in my opinion represents some sort of crime against humanity, just don't get me started on Shadow Dancer, I gets all angry an that, you know, you buggers.

2: Kung-Fu Master, a.k.a. Spartan X if you're Japanese or a cock (Arcade)
          The year 1984, the location Weston-Super-Mare pier. As a child I'd always been fascinated by the bright flashing lights and electro-funk beats of the early coin-ops (yes Sir, I'm a simpleton), but here was the one that sealed the deal. Sat next to Commando, this tinker had me spellbound, the hypnotic music, the pastel colours and those sound effects. Capcom's game was good, but this, well this was something else. I could go on and on and on about Kung-Fu Master, but you all might get a little bit bored. If you'd like to hear more then PM me and I'll knock out a 10,000 word essay on this bad boy, just for you.

3: Tertis Battle Gaiden (Super Famicom)
          Yes, yes, yes, of course the GB version of Tetris is *cough* 'The Daddy', but this little gem runs it a bloody close second. Thanks Mr Wild Card. Normally, I'm of the the "if isn't broke then don't try an fix it" school of thought, but this is ver ver good. Double-tap up on the D-pad casts the spells, go get 'em tiger.

4: Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Arcade/Super Famicom)
          I'd always had a soft-spot for the original (I may well start a hopelessly misguided "bring back Geki" campaign, but that's for another day), I spent the summer of 87 (or was it 88?) pumping money (30p a go don't you know) into this one at the Gateshead Metro Centre (smell the glamour). Later my rich cousin got a PC Engine and CD Drive (this was back when it meant something) complete with 'Fighting Street'. Lordy, the future had arrived, damn, I was sad to see him leave. I tried to convince myself that the US Gold/Tiertex conversion was "out there" but to be fair it was cock. Ever tried doing a quarter-circle motion on a +2 keyboard? Don't bother, because those lazy bastards at Tiertex had decided to drop the fireball and the hurricane kick AND the dragon punch... bastards. Anyone remeber seeing a fireball for the first time? Good grief, it was like some kind of crazy witchcraft. Anyhoo, where were we? Oh yes, Street Fighter II I'm sure Championship Edition/Hyper/Turbo etc are much better but this came first, Finishing the game with Blanka (In Gloucester's Golden Goose) made me late for my GCSE Geography exam, amazingly I passed, with a C, just don't ask me about those crazy tectonic plates. I would later go on to spend ?80 pounds on the SFC version, purchased from Mr Dave Friar in his beautiful Videogame Emporium. Money well spent.

5: Dungeon Master (Atari ST)
          Slamming doors down on the heads of mummies, throwing rocks to trigger pressure pads, the Hall of Heroes, items weighing you down etc. This was way ahead of its time. Stop the stream of identikit WWII FPS titles, I want a 360 update of Dungeon Master NOW!! Oh, an update of Oids would be good, also, thanks Santa.

Well, that's me done, sorry if I went on a bit.

Comment

1.Strider
            2.Final fight
            3.Castlevaina sotn
            4.Zombies revenge
            5.Metal slug X

Comment

1. Shinobi (arcade)
              2. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
              3. Daytona USA (arcade)
              4. Shenmue (DC)
              5. Winter Heat (Saturn)

Comment

1 Turrican 2
                2 Space Invaders
                3 Altered Beast
                4 Rampage
                5 Alien Storm

Comment

1. Zelda64 (N64)
                  2. Tempest2K(orX3) (Jag/PS1)
                  3. Mario64 (N64)
                  4. Jet Force Gemini (N64)
                  5. Goldeneye (N64)

oh my god... I realise it's almost only N64 games that spring to mind in the first place! ... But I where do I put : Turrican2, Castlevania:Sotn, Starfox64, Yoshi's Island, StuntCarRacer, CrazyTaxi, SoulCalibur, GranTurismo, etc etc etc..... wow gaming IS FUN !

Comment

Bit late to the party, but in no particular order:

R-Type (arcade)
                    Bubble Bobble (arcade)
                    Nemesis series (MSX)
                    Daytona USA (Saturn)
                    Wonderboy 3 (Master System)

Oh, and Elite of course...

Comment

What were the results of this poll?

Comment

I tallied all the results together before I left gamestm. I'd imagine that you'll see half of it in issue 40 (due at the end of december) and the other half in January.

Oh, and you're never going to guess what number one is (unless it's been changed for something more suitable of course )

Comment

OMG it's HALO!!!111

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                            I tallied all the results together before I left gamestm. I'd imagine that you'll see half of it in issue 40 (due at the end of december) and the other half in January.

Oh, and you're never going to guess what number one is (unless it's been changed for something more suitable of course )
                            I thought the first half was due in the next issue? *Sulk* I was really looking forward to it too.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X