The Immortal (MD, various)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Immortal (MD, various)

What a classy game this was. The fighting was pretty poo on recollection but the deaths were unreal. Heads flying, skins falling off. Really devious puzzles and a kick-ass dragon at the end (that killed me more times than I care to remember).

I had the Amiga version in a nice big box with an old wizard on the front, which as a kid really impressed me!

The actual game was dripping in atmosphere- I loved the movement of the enemies and the ambience of the levels. I recall it being a tough game though- never did get far with it.

The magazines at the time loved it though- I think it won many awards and the guy behind it was quite a legendary figure.

Comment

Yeah, although I didn't really know Will Harvey from the next man.

Comment

Originally posted by babs
        Yeah, although I didn't really know Will Harvey from the next man.
        Yeah... I had no idea who he was, and I still don't I guess he was some famous American programmer.

I might have a go on the MD version- bet the sounds not as good as the Amiga's!

Comment

That's because the amiga's sound chip wasn't based on a cat gargling a mix of acid and gravel.

Comment

Originally posted by babs
            That's because the amiga's sound chip wasn't based on a cat gargling a mix of acid and gravel.
            I have often read stories about Sega keeping a lot of hardware secrets to themselves. The MD Sonic sound is crystal clear and amazing- Sega were definitely holding some sound hardware info back from other devcos I think, sneeky devils!

Comment

Pity they didn't use it on Super Monaco GP.

*czzzzzz Keep it up xzxzxzxz*

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but I never played the MD version and don't remember the Amiga version having the "close-up" combat (a la babs' second image)...?

Or am I just superannuated and stupid, my nose is knackered, my legs are old and bent.

Comment

It's been many a moon since I played the Amiga version- but I think it had everything, including the close-up combat!

I tried looking for a screen-shot to confirm this- but to no avail!

Comment

Ah. What a game. Never played the Amiga version but I loved the MD port to bits. The only mildly annoying feature was the number of 'instant deaths' if you happened to step on the wrong tile or user the wrong item.

Comment

I was a massive fan of the megadrive version, remember the final boss being tough. Big dragon thing wasn't it? With you stood on a pinacle if I remember correctly. Another quality thing about the game was after completing it I sold it for ?15 quid and indulged in some under aged drinking. Got leathered on Jack Daniels and threw up everywhere.

Comment

I have the MD version of this and sporadically try to get into it, say once a year or so but am still failing to, but the worst bit is that Every Single Time I play it I get eaten by that thing in the pit on my first go because I forget about it and think that the hole looks interesting. Idiot

Comment

Working...
                        X