No announcement yet.

Megadrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a lot of the games i had on my list i don't believe came out in the UK, there are a lot of classic shooters that didn't come out over here.

Also the western boxart for the md are so bad its sickening, i couldn't go near one, i've been looking for the best places to get a jap md, (i'll probably use vgi, if anyone knows anyother decent places let me know) so i looked on ebay and all i could see are tons of pal md pap. God, its enough to put you off the console, its quite funny that someone was actually paid to design those horrible pal cover art, i just don't want to lay my eyes upon any pal md games.

Comment

Why did EA put their games in those BIG carts? The first time I seen one, I thought that yellow bit on them was a button or something!

Comment

I cba to read all of the thread
        But my favourites are:

Alien Soldier
        Bare Knuckle 2
        Contra Hard Corps
        Gunstar Heroes
        Sonic 2
        Vampire Killer

You can't go wong with any of the titles there

Oh, Contra HC is far superior to Contra Spirits on the SFC (which is great too)
        Flame me all you want bitches

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
          Anyway.. I never slagged off the MD. My post praises a lot of my favourite MD games, and when I say the SFC destroyed the MD in every way, that is genuinely how I felt about the machine back in the day.
          Yes, you tried to slag off the Megadrive, and it failed!

If in actual fact you did think the SNES destroyed the Megadrive (laffs) .... why did you buy one? - I dont think you ever had one did you?

Please stop mentioning the Snes - it really doesnt deserve to mentioned in here - its a megadrive appreciation thread. If I ever hear 'Snes' again - it will be too soon

Comment

Originally posted by Mu5

If in actual fact you did think the SNES destroyed the Megadrive (laffs) .... why did you buy one? - I dont think you ever had one did you?

Please stop mentioning the Snes - it really doesnt deserve to mentioned in here - its a megadrive appreciation thread. If I ever hear 'Snes' again - it will be too soon
            snes

Comment

the snes sucked

Comment

No it didn't, but you're right, it has no place in this thread

Comment

Your right, it didnt suck - it just sucked compared with the megadrive

I can see no 'snes appreciation thread' can you? Doesn't that tell you something?

Comment

Ive just realised - I don't think anyone has mentioned Ecco the Dolphin yet

Man - what a game. The MegaCD version was total class, specifically the graphics and sound. Hours of fun. Awesome

Oh, and has anybody mentioned Road Rash, Toe Jam and Earl and Gunstar Heroes??
                    Last edited by Mu5; 27-09-2005, 19:20.

Comment

Originally posted by muse hunter
                      i've been looking for the best places to get a jap md, (i'll probably use vgi, if anyone knows anyother decent places let me know)
                      Well there's usually a few jp md consoles on ebay uk for cheap cheap. Games are a bit more hit and miss (one seller has great stuff but prices to make you want to kill yourself he's so rude). Ebay usa has lots of sellers with loads of good quality md titles for cheap though, you just need to buy a few to bring the shipping per game down to something reasonable.

Otherwise there's always yahoo japan..usually 2000 md auctions or so with a lot of the perceived rarities like Comix Zone, VK etc pretty darn common tbh.(not so much pricey Acclaim stuff mind) The cheap rare games don't appear too often though..took me ages to get NFL Quarterback club 95, NBA Jam TE, etc (but they're ?5 when you do)

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                        There is nothing that comes close to Streets Of Rage II on the Snes, nothing. In saying that , no machine has an answer to Streets Of Rage II, not even the Neo
                        Mate go back and edit that FFS - it's embarassing

Comment

Haven't read everything but can I shout out these defining titles :

SOR 1/2/3
                          Final Fight (MCD)
                          Batman Returns (MCD)
                          Thunderhawk (MCD)
                          Night Trap (MCD) (you gotta try it once in yer life )
                          FIFA (Original & Probably only beaten by 3DO version TBH)
                          Toejam & Earl
                          Sub-Terrania
                          Thunderforce IV
                          PGA
                          Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike
                          Road Rash
                          Gunstar Heroes
                          Sonic CD (MCD - PAL > all)
                          Micro Machines 2
                          Marble Madness

I'll leave it there.

Comment

Calm down its only a videogame forum, i think you misunderstood what TA said he meant it as on the snes there is nothing close to streets of rage 2, he did not mean streets of rage 2 is on the snes.
                            Last edited by muse hunter; 27-09-2005, 19:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK
                              Final Fight (MCD)
                              Batman Returns (MCD)
                              Thunderhawk (MCD)

I'll leave it there.
                              Final Fight CD - forgot about that one. Talk about an arcade game in your home?

Batman Returns was fantastic also. Blew me away when I first played it good shout!

Thunderhawk was awesome also

Please, someone, tell me there is a MegaCD emulator out there somewhere!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mu5

I don't know what you're on, but please keep it away from children!

I bought the MD in 1991, around 7months before I had even seen a Snes in action.

Here is the first part of my original post- if this sounds like slagging-off to anyone they must be nuts!

Original Post on Page 5:

The Megadrive boxes are excellent. They just feel and look so right, the perfect game box. The Snes had stupid weak card-board boxes that couldn't handle any abuse. I love Japanese SFC boxes, but if they were plastic it would be much better!

My reason for buying the MD was Sonic1. I persuaded my brother that the machine was too good to be without, and he looked at the screenshots in Mean-Machines and agreed. We then convinced our parents to get one from an importer at a console market with Sonic1, Castle Of Illusion and Wrestle War. All three of these games were magnificent. Sonic provided so much joy to me, my brother and our mates, as did the majestic COI and the funny Wrestle War.

The next games we bought were from our friendly local importer. Streets Of Rage ... what a brilliant game. The amazing music and detailed visuals had me and my best mate gripped until we beat it. Then my Brother got Alien Storm. This is another sensational colourful action packed experience- in fact... it's one of my favourite MD games, I could play and complete it three times a week and never get bored.

Other notable titles include, PGA Golf and EA Hockey. These two were like a drug, I played them nearly every day after school. Sonic 2 was a great moment in gaming, the 3D bonus levels... WOW!!!

I enjoyed the MD, and my memories of Sonic1, Castle of Illusion, SOR 1&2, Alien Storm, Quackshot etc... are some of my best gaming moments!

All this Snes business was started by others quite early on, and all the negative vibes towards the machine stirred-up my emotion to respond with a bit of appreciation for the Snes from my perspective. I was only expressing the extent of my emotion towards the snes when I first played it as being " Sh*t, this machine destroys the Megadrive ". I'm not trying to put down the MD, and that should be obvious to anyone who actually reads my original post with an open mind!

Boy this is tiring!

Comment

Working...
                                X