NES - European or PAL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NES - European or PAL?

Can someone give me some idea of why these say 'European Version' and there are also PAL versions just with different boxes?

It is probably a simple answer but one I don't know. Can't say I have seen these before myself. Anyway, to cut a long story short I can buy them all for ?7. Worth it?

Appreciate any help

Short-lived alternate packaging from Germany/Austria/Scandanavia, I believe. Most of the early black-box games were released like that over there. There's also similar Asian boxes, but they say "Hong Kong version" instead.

Comment

Originally posted by anagrama
      Short-lived alternate packaging from Germany/Austria/Scandanavia, I believe. Most of the early black-box games were released like that over there. There's also similar Asian boxes, but they say "Hong Kong version" instead.
      Ahhh I see, makes sense since I'm living in Sweden. What do you think about the price? I've decided to get them anyway, just to give them a blast in the ol' NES. Can't really go wrong for 7 quid right?!

Comment

7 pounds sound pretty good to me for such nice looking carts. By the way wasn't there also the Mettel version of the NES?

Yakumo

Comment

Yeah, Mattel distributed it for a year or so in PAL-A regions until Nintendo saw was a mess they were making of it and relieved them of responsibility. The early systems marked "Mattel version" are harder to find than the later "NES version" units.

Comment

I think mine is a Mattel version.
            L@@K R4R3!

By the way, it's possible, although I don't know because I've not compared either version, that those are Germany-friendly European versions of PAL games, if you consider the hack job they did on Turok, and we really don't want to talk about Super Probotector, and that Germany seems to have quite strict, often Dradonian, censorship laws. Or a fetish for replacing people with robots. There's a whole discussion there.
            Last edited by vertigo; 20-10-2005, 11:46.

Comment

As I collect NES machines too I know that there are 4 region lock outs these being...

America / Canada
              UK / Italy / Scandinavia / Australia / New Zealand (I think that Mattel distributed the machine in all these countries). Also known as Region A
              Germany / France (has RGB output) / Spain / Benelux (This area is generally known as Europe). Also known as Region B
              Hong Kong

The carts shown above are European versions so would not work in a unmodified UK machine.

Comment

Another example of Nintendo's money-grabbing then, more than anything else.
                The universal mod's easy though, so that's ok.

Comment

Good place for a mod guide:

Also, the French system doesn't output true RGB. Actually, mine outputs no better than standard AV. There is no true way to output NES/FC RGB, unless you have a Famicom Titler machine.

Also, for 7 pounds? It's ok I guess, but I dislike all those games. Depends on what you like really. Are they all boxed, or just SMB?

Comment

You can get a NES to output RGB if you steal the PPU from the correct Playchoice10 arcade PCB and replace the one in the NES with it.
                    A discussion and pictures of this can be found here
                    The question is, is it worth the money to you to do it.
                    Last edited by vertigo; 20-10-2005, 14:08.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkIII
                      UK / Italy / Scandinavia / Australia / New Zealand (I think that Mattel distributed the machine in all these countries). Also known as Region A
                      I'm pretty sure Scandanavia was PAL-B.

Comment

Mine outputs RGB but again as you say the quality is poor. Still at least it is trying. I do have a Famicom that is true RGB but it had a Playchoice 10 GPU grafted in.

The NES regions are not the same as the silly PAL broadcast regions.
                        Last edited by MarkIII; 20-10-2005, 16:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
                          Good place for a mod guide:
                          http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/ni...es-lockout.htm

Also, the French system doesn't output true RGB. Actually, mine outputs no better than standard AV. There is no true way to output NES/FC RGB, unless you have a Famicom Titler machine.

Also, for 7 pounds? It's ok I guess, but I dislike all those games. Depends on what you like really. Are they all boxed, or just SMB?
                          Cheers for the mod guide, still probably going to pick these up and give them a whirl. After all, for ?7 I won't be losing out long term if I decide to sell them again in the future. Seems it's just SMB that's boxed.

I actually didn't realise how money-grabbing Ninty were in the olden days! Tut, tut.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkIII
                            The NES regions are not the same as the silly PAL broadcast regions.
                            That's not what I was referring to. Scandanavia is "Region B", like Germany/Austria/France/Spain etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X