Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useful DC VMU utilities (link)

Found this webpage yesterday:

There's 2 very useful VMU utilities here, VMU Backup CD v1.3.0 is (in the developer's words):

'A great compilation of over 3200 VMU saves and minigames for your Dreamcast, with a neat app for browsing and transfering from CD to VMU. New version with more saves, minigames, and a built-in VMU emulator to play minigames on your TV.'

Very useful, especially for those needing a certain save who don't have DC Internet access.

The other utility is VMZip v1.0.0, which allows VMU saves to be compressed. Useful for keeping save files for infrequently played games, for example my Soul Reaver save went from 50 blocks to 20. It doesn't work well with tiny (<5 blocks) files or already well-compressed files (obviously) - they can actually increase in size, but usually it does a good job. You can press X to predict the zipped size without saving the file.
    Last edited by trickytree; 27-10-2005, 12:07.

Just thought I'd bump this 'cos it looks like there is some good stuff available here. Question for folk more in the know (although I haven't researched this, looking for an easy answer here...) What would be the best way to go about getting files off a VMU, say, onto my PC?

When I have a dozen or so VMUs, it is a right pain in the arse figuring out what went where, which save and what unit I can use for such-and-such game today. Better if I could transfer stuff off, save it for later. We're talking BBA-territory, right?
    Last edited by Commander Marklar; 08-11-2005, 12:26.

Comment

Yeah, thanks for this.

It's got the 3 official downloadable saves for Skies of Arcadia, to unlock the extra island etc.... Smashing Never was able to get them before, looks like I'll be playing through SoA again.

Cheers

Comment

No problem, happy to share

Commander, I don't know about using the BBA adaptor to transfer saves, but there's a Nexus VMU which connects to a PC.

Not used it personally, but here's the fella:

There's a 16m version too.

Comment

Ah, one can use a DC coders cable too, which I have already. Just didn't occur to me!

Thanks though man, very useful.

Comment

Working...
          X