No announcement yet.

'Collecting' - The Great Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing to do with you being a mod mate, don't get so edgy about it!

It is everything to do with you choosing a supposedly representative imaginary scenario to exemplify the debate which ignores the whole point of it. If two games are exactly the same as you suggest in your example, then it cannot be the case that one is Japanese and one is English.

Of course, if there are two items that are exactly the same and one is ?1 and the other ?100 then I will buy the ?1 one, and that's the answer you are obviously want people to choose and then to justify your view on.

But if one is Japanese and one is English then they are not exactly the same, and that is the whole of the difference between your view and that of, say, a Japanese game collector. To you there is not really a difference. To them, there is. To try to justify your view by framing the argument in such a way that states that there is no difference is what I mean by trying to slant it in your favour.

Tirian

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
      An excellent point!

I purchased a fairly tatty copy of Dracula X (PCE) for ?50 (which is below the usual price) and enjoyed the hell outta of it. At no point was I worried about marking it or spoiling the manual with my fingerprints...I just played it. Which is what it was created for.
      Indeed, a very good point. But by the same token you can play a game to death and still keep it pretty much mint.

Comment

If two games are exactly the same as you suggest in your example, then it cannot be the case that one is Japanese and one is English.
        Forget about the artwork, the manual, the print on the disc - there are PLENTY of releases out there that are exactly the same in terms of the actual content on the disc. The gameplay, the graphics, the levels, the sound, the actual game itself, not the trimmings that go with it.

If the two both feature the same data, then the trimmings are the only thing you could possibly be spending all that extra cash on.

But if one is Japanese and one is English then they are not exactly the same, and that is the whole of the difference between your view and that of, say, a Japanese game collector. To you there is not really a difference
        But I do see the difference - as stated, I like to collect Japanese Megadrive games. I prefer to get the Japanese versions as and when I can. BUT I don't lose sight of the limits of my wallet. To spend over the odds just to own the Japanese version, when you could easily obtain the same level of enjoyment from the cheaper, English copy strikes me as rather silly.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle
          stuff about "mint" games
          On the flipside of that, you could just make sure your hands are clean, or take an extra 20secs or whatever to put the manual/disc/whatever back where it belongs when you're finished with it. Would it really kill you to do that?

It's not impossible to play a game extensively, and keep it in good condition. It just depends what type of person you are. Someone mentioned earlier about having the "collector gene" and I reckon that's true because I've always been obsessive about keeping stuff in good condition and hanging on to boxes/manuals etc. Even since I was a kid - long before the internet was born.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
            Someone mentioned earlier about having the "collector gene" and I reckon that's true because I've always been obsessive about keeping stuff in good condition and hanging on to boxes/manuals etc. Even since I was a kid - long before the internet was born.
            I haven't ... I used to leave my books lying around all over the place, plonk them face down, open to keep my page and break the spines. Consoles and electrical equipment came out of the box and the box went straight in the bin. Manuals for games were never the most important things - who needs 'em anyway?

Now it is a different matter. I never treat a book the way I used to as a kid. I may carry one around in my bag and get it scuffed a bit, but it will never get mangled like they used to. Consoles and games keep all their packaging and innards when I get them these days.

It's the old nature vs. nurture thing I guess ...

Duddy: I don't think there's anything more to say, it's just going to keep going round in circles. You think collecting (of the variety that you do not indulge in, at least) is "silly", and you don't understand it - and you're reasonably determined not to understand it, so of course you're not going to be convinced by anything I have to say. You will of course now deny this and provide yet another reason why you are right ... it's the circle of life!

Tirian

Comment

If we can all keep our games minty, then everybody's happy, right? Let's try and get some of that love into our kids (oo-er), the grubby little bastards

Kubrick, before the Interweb was born? You're officially an old man!

Comment

You forgot this Tirian:

Don't leave home without it!

I've done my fair share of collecting and I own a massive amount of Megadrive games, so you can't say I don't 'understand' the appeal.

Anyone who's owned a World Cup Italia 90 sticker annual as a kid knows the joys of collecting, but there's a difference between doing it for the right reasons (sticking the stickers in the correct pages and feeling good about getting all the shiny ones) and what I see to be the wrong reasons (and this is my opinion), which is keeping the stickers sealed away in a their packets, never to see the light of day and placing them in a protective atmosphere where no one is able to laugh at Peter Beardsley's silly haircut.

Comment

Wow, top analogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
                    On the flipside of that, you could just make sure your hands are clean, or take an extra 20secs or whatever to put the manual/disc/whatever back where it belongs when you're finished with it. Would it really kill you to do that?

It's not impossible to play a game extensively, and keep it in good condition. It just depends what type of person you are. Someone mentioned earlier about having the "collector gene" and I reckon that's true because I've always been obsessive about keeping stuff in good condition and hanging on to boxes/manuals etc. Even since I was a kid - long before the internet was born.
                    Don't get me wrong I do look after stuff, I'm just saying that for games that I play regularly I prefer not to have to bother about being really careful with them. It seems to detract from the business of actually playing. Most games are easy to look after, but new Neo Geo cartridges are a nightmare, they pick up finger prints which are hard to remove and they get scuffs just from sticking them in the slot. They were sadistically designed by SNK to be most delicate (superficially speaking) of any game format I know. Hell even the SNK logo on the inside of the box is out to get them.

I'd just say that given the choice of an expensive mint version of a given title, or a tatty characterful version at a cheap price I'd pick the cheap one every time.

Comment

Wow, top analogy.
                      Yeah, I'm quite pleased with that one.

Comment

Wow, right reasons and wrong reaons for collecting!

I never realised that it was all about the frame of mind, and that there was a idealogical hierarchy of collecting!

I see your and raise you a

Tirian

Comment

what I see to be the wrong reasons (and this is my opinion)
                          See that? That's my 'Get out of Jail Free' card mate.

Besides, you're just upset because my sticker album analogy was HOT HOT HOT!

Comment

I'm afraid the the relative proximity of the words "Peter Beardsley's haircut" and "hot hot hot" is more than I can cope with. I surrender!! I'm off out!

Tirian

Oh yeah ...

Comment

LOOK..it all boils down to the fact that there is no RIGHT or WRONG way to collect. If you think there is more fool you. If you don't understand this then don't enter the debate as you will have nothing meaningful to contribute.

Rather than state as nauseum "I don't know why people collect sealed stuff, pricey stuff," or conversely "manky cart only games", try to understand why and respect them for their decisions. (Broken record aren't I)

Perhaps I'll start a new thread..Post anything you ever get retro collectible..except its already been done. One man's cart only pal sonic is another mans sealed Waltz. Grow up.

Comment

It's just a bit of fun, innit?

Comment

Working...
                                X