This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
    The early PS1 models are regarded quite highly by audio enthusiasts, there actually better than a lot of high end CD players so thats probably why they still fetch a decent price.
    They really are fantastic CD players

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
      They really are fantastic CD players
      the laser unit doest last long on them though...

remember having to tilt mine on its side to get games to load!

Comment

Interesting.

Wasn't it more the sort of spindle under the disc that wore down making the disc no longer sit straight above the laser causing the use it on it's side / use it upside down fixes to work?

I got 2 100x models at the weekend for free, one with what appears to be a metal spindle in it, might have to fire them up and see what's what. Not that I have any decent audio equipment, or indeed a CD player to compare them to!

Chris

Comment

More megaman madness!! A couple of years ago this was an eighty quidder.

Comment

Originally posted by chocklo View Post
            More megaman madness!! A couple of years ago this was an eighty quidder.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1941wt_948
            My intention of picking this up at a reasonable price seems to have disappeared.
            Oh, and another vouch for how great the early PS1s are as audio players. I was very surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Corranga View Post
              Interesting.
              might have to fire them up and see what's what. Not that I have any decent audio equipment, or indeed a CD player to compare them to!

Chris
              As a piece of audio equipment (for playing cds), its pretty redundant now digital connections are well established

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                the laser unit doest last long on them though...

remember having to tilt mine on its side to get games to load!
                Heh, I remember joking that Sony had addressed the dodgy laser issue when I saw that the PS2 came with a stand so that it could be put on its side when the laser started to play up.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                As a piece of audio equipment (for playing cds), its pretty redundant now digital connections are well established
                Digital connections won't improve the sound if the DAC in the CD player is better than the one in the amp. The DAC in any mid-range CD player will almost always trump that of a mid-range amp. Audiophiles only really use digital connections for connecting a CD transport/player to a DAC (ie a separate DAC, not one that's integrated into an amp). Of course, home cinema is a different story altogether.
                Last edited by samanosuke; 07-05-2010, 07:25.

Comment

Originally posted by teenagewasteland View Post
                  My intention of picking this up at a reasonable price seems to have disappeared.
                  Oh, and another vouch for how great the early PS1s are as audio players. I was very surprised.
                  I was involved in that, I did not think it would go that high.

Comment

I got a Megaman back when there were LOADS on from that Italian seller who found a box or something (story escapes me). Glad I snapped one then as I was hesitant. Great wee game though.

Comment

Why buy a Wondermega when for more-or-less the same price you can buy just a Wondermega Collection?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        Why buy a Wondermega when for more-or-less the same price you can buy just a Wondermega Collection?

If you check the item description it says Not for sale, Rare - to bad, had my cursor on the bin button

Comment

Yeah, not for sale as in originally, as it was a pack in disc. You wouldn't BIN at that would you? The sad face at the end of your post makes me think you would!

Comment

heres a cheapy.....

wouldnt mind it myself, but dont really fancy clearing out my savings.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo_1 View Post
                              Yeah, not for sale as in originally, as it was a pack in disc. You wouldn't BIN at that would you? The sad face at the end of your post makes me think you would!
                              No worries i'm not THAT daft lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X