No announcement yet.

Best TV for retro consoles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currys sell a flat screen 21" 4:3 Samsung CRT for ?129.99. Has two Scart sockets (one RGB), virtual dolby, supports all forms of NTSC and you can even change the TV ratio. Excellent for the money.

EDIT: Here's a link to it on Curry's website http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...ory_oid=-25981
    Last edited by gossi the dog; 24-11-2005, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
      Also, you hear that high-pitched whine that you get from your TV over the years? That's the same thing. The TV's on its way out.
      Nooo. I only bought my newish CRT in March, and it's been giving off that sound for a good while now.
      Am I gonna have to burninate my local Currys.

Comment

Emir: Do you notice that it does it more in modes that aren't normal PAL at 50Hz? If so, that's ok, it's the change in resolution that's doing it. But if it's doing it quite noticably in normal TV viewing mode then you've possibly already got a problem. Mine's been absolutely fine and only now 2 1/2 years later it's started to develop a very faint whine which is most noticable when it's doing RGB in PAL 50Hz mode. It's not anything like an old 70s CRT, but still, you sure you weren't fobbed off with an ex-demo or a return?
        You should be entitled to a one year manufacturer's warranty anyway, so give their Careline? a call and see if they'd be willing to do anything for free. Tell them it's only just developed it, if that's any help
        STILL looking for service menu codes for my Panasonic. The two most common methods don't work

Comment

hmm this is probably the wrong place for this. but since u were mentioning saturns and ntsc and stuff.. where can i get me existing pal saturn modified with a pal/ntsc 50/60hz switch and how much will it cost?

Comment

I use this dream boat.

?130 for 21", Nicam, NTSC compatible & 60hz. Audio out through headphones too (LOL sw00n, i know but hehe)

Comment

Philips CM8833 MKI

Kinda hard to find a nice one these days though.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                I use this dream boat.

?130 for 21", Nicam, NTSC compatible & 60hz. Audio out through headphones too (LOL sw00n, i know but hehe)
                I've got one of those and it's not half as good as the Samsung Curry's sell.

Comment

Try and pick yoursefl up a hantarex ct34idtv it has vga component-composite-s-video and even the rare japanese rgb called d-terminal! it does vertical refresh up to 120hz!!! and will step down to 15khz horizontally for supergun and jamma boards! also it has pots for all the screen holds and degauss to remove screen burn and colour convergence8) it even has a vga pass thru to daisy chain displays..phew! all that for 100? did I mention its 34"
                  Oh and did I mention it supports prog scan and composite sync? it'll even do 1024x768interlaced and is designed for 24hr use and is made in the uk..hurrah!

Comment

2 grand for a CRT! It may be the dog's... but still.

Comment

I've seen some lovely flat-faced 4:3 CRTs going about. Can't stomach the old goldfish-bowl look these days.

Comment

Originally posted by leeboy2k1
                        Try and pick yoursefl up a hantarex ct34idtv it has vga component-composite-s-video and even the rare japanese rgb called d-terminal! it does vertical refresh up to 120hz!!! and will step down to 15khz horizontally for supergun and jamma boards! also it has pots for all the screen holds and degauss to remove screen burn and colour convergence8) it even has a vga pass thru to daisy chain displays..phew! all that for 100? did I mention its 34"
                        Oh and did I mention it supports prog scan and composite sync? it'll even do 1024x768interlaced and is designed for 24hr use and is made in the uk..hurrah!
                        Jesus Christ! Really? Is this April 1st already or what? If this is true I'm having me one of these.

Comment

Sounds great, but where the hell did the ?100 figure come from? The brief search on google pulled up nothing but ?1200+

Comment

Originally posted by Jusatsushi
                            Sounds great, but where the hell did the ?100 figure come from? The brief search on google pulled up nothing but ?1200+
                            E-bay and google is your friend, sometimes ex display models can be picked up pretty cheap as low as 60?! also they can be repaired back to perfection for 50? by hantarex, and should last at least 5-10 years if your lucky.

Im not b'****tin check out hanatrex.co.uk and buy british8) also they do a smaller 25-28" to suit your tastes, and will give you black levels that even dlp's dream about around 12000- 15000-1

p.s. only weakness is they only go upto 1024x768 but that looks stunning, and shows no pixel structure as the phosphor design is really well put together.. digital displays need at least 1600x1200 IMHO on a big screen and that is bloody expensive! get one of these till the 1080p panels are available next year, and it will compliment it beutifully.. Im chuffed to bits with it for 100?
                            Last edited by leeboy2k1; 25-11-2005, 14:11.

Comment

my sony 21" tv is still making games look great and it gives a really good rgb pciture and would be suitable for playing old games on

Comment

Im not b'****tin check out hanatrex.co.uk and buy british8) also they do a smaller 25-28" to suit your tastes, and will give you black levels that even dlp's dream about around 12000- 15000-1
                                I'm not seeing it on the Hantarex site at all. Did a search for CT 34 and got two results neither of which appeared to be it. Got a link on their site?

Comment

Working...
                                X