Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best wrestling game for Dreamcast? (any region)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best wrestling game for Dreamcast? (any region)

Hi,

I've decided to put my Dreamcast back into my gaming setup Luckily I kept my Dreamcast despite selling the games I had for it. Anyway, first step was a good one tonight... bought both Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 on eBay!

I'm now also looking for a decent wrestling game on the Dreamcast. I would appreciate any suggestions. I don't think region would matter as I'm sure I can get boot disks, providing they are still available online. The first game that springs to mind is WWF Royal Rumble, but I remember hearing about Giant Gram? Can anyone recommend the ultiimate wrestling game on the Dreamcast?

I was about to post a similar topic as it happens. Check out touken retsudken 4, giant gram 2000 and the incomparable Fire Pro Wrestling.

Comment

WWF Royal Rumble was just a port of the arcade game wasn't it? I have it here somewhere, I think it plays a bit like smackdown without any depth if I remember correctly.

Giant Gram however is an awesome game if your into Jap wrestling, me and my mate spent ages playing it, love the Jap commentary too.

Comment

Fire Pro wins everytime. Ok it hasnt got uber 3D graphics but it has got really in depth gameplay and more fantastically animated moves then any other wrestling game.

Comment

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I've just looked at reviews and movies of both Giant Gram 2000 and Fire Pro Wrestling D from IGN and I'm very impressed, both look to have amazing gameplay. I haven't played any Japanese based wrestling games before, so the best wrestling game I've played is WWF No Mercy, easily. Thankfully, from what I've seen on the movies, Giant Gram 2000, and to a lesser extent, Fire Pro Wrestling D look similar to it with the grappling system. I also love the fact that I could create lovely 2D wrestlers of the current WWE roster and create the belts! WOW!

Can anyone give any more information about either Giant Gram 2000 or Fire Pro Wrestling D? How they play - are either similar to the Aki WWF No Mercy game? I'd love to know the match types. Six man tags, battle royals, triple thread, ladder, cage, hardcore matches? Are their any weapons, body slams though announce tables?

Comment

Look out for Toukon Retsuden 4 as mentioned above if you like your 3D games.

Nothing touches Fire Pro still, there's an overview of the basics in the review of it's SNES predecessor I did for SNES week a while back. Have a look here.

Comment

Just get Fire Pro D, you can usually find it on ebay for ?5 nowerdays.

Comment

Buy both and decide, they can be easily be found for <?10 each.

GG2K plays very much like Virtua Fighter/Tekken, with command moves, energy bars, dynamic cameras, excellent graphics/animation, unlockable characters etc, but backs it up with huge depth and attention to detail. It's one of my favourite games ever, but it can be an acquired taste and slightly daunting at first.

<controversial hat on>
                Whereas I think Fire Pro was fun on the SNES, but really hasn't evolved too much. Many people swear by it, but it just feels ancient to me - it never gets close to GG2K for excitement or (in particular) variety - yes, it has hundreds of wrestlers, but outside of the several types of wrestler (lucha, power etc.) there's not much difference between them - move commands are basic and similar for each wrestler, move animations and sprites are shared between wrestlers (some wrestlers can only be distinguished from each other because they have a different head!), whereas in GG2K every character looks different (and just like their real-life self), has a large and unique moveset (Johnny Ace for example has 14 variations of Ace Crusher!), unique taunts, authentic entrances (particularly poor in Fire Pro) etc. The whole game just feels massively more real than Fire Pro.
                <controversial hat off>

I'd still try both though, and sell Fire Pro afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by nightstalker100
                  I was about to post a similar topic as it happens. Check out Touken Retsuden 4, Giant Gram 2000 and the incomparable Fire Pro Wrestling D.
                  Indeed - all three games are superb and can be found for around $10ea on Ebay, often new/sealed!

...and if you have a N64 check out the superb Virtual Pro Wrestling 2
                  Last edited by talizker; 06-01-2006, 10:40.

Comment

Fire Pro D
                    Giant Gram 2K

Comment

Originally posted by Uptime
                      Thanks guys for your suggestions! I've just looked at reviews and movies of both Giant Gram 2000 and Fire Pro Wrestling D from IGN
                      **cough**

Comment

Thanks for the link charlesr.... I should of known better!

I've heard that the game engine from Touken Retsuden is what the WWE Smackdwn games have envolved from, so I'll stay clear of those.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I will search to buy both Giant Gram 2000 and Fire Pro Wrestling D

Can anyone say if either games top the gameplay of the Aki n64 games (wresltmania 2000, no mercy etc)? For me that is the best wrestling games I have played with great animations and realistic gameplay.
                        Last edited by Uptime; 06-01-2006, 11:50.

Comment

Just bought both from eBay . Not as easy or cheap buying either, only 2 copies listed on eBay for each. So I got Giant Gram 2000 for ?14 and Fire Pro Wrestling D for ?20. Not cheap for 6 year old games, but both are still new and sealed . And with yesturday getting both Shenmue I and Shenmue II combined for ?40, I've spent ?70 in within the last 30 hours in starting my Dreamcast collection again, but it's already looking good!
                          Last edited by Uptime; 06-01-2006, 15:19.

Comment

Touken Retsouden 4 is dump. Like an old, limp version of Smackdown. Giant Gram and 2k are both fantastic yet very technical games where you really have to learn each specific character to get the most out of the game. Have to say i still prefer the first Giant Gram on the DC; You can really 'punish' people more on it and the whole thing has just more oomph and weight about it.
                            Fire Pro D is just a limitless game that just keeps on giving, though again it's a game that rewards patience and dedication (not to mention 8 VMUs for all the add on moves and edit packs) The 8 man matches in Fire Pro are unrivalled as far as videogame wrestling experiences go

Comment

Ordered giant gram 2000 on ebay.Saw some vids i thought it looked good.

Fire pro i am not to sure about.Is the newer ps2 version improved over the dreamcast version?

Comment

Working...
                              X