Bombjack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bombjack

Playing this on MAME now and it is seriously addictive. There is a perfect balance between going for the big score (collecting all lit bombs) and trying to survive.
    First 9 levels I go for it the bug scores, after that gets too dangerous...

Great when the screen gets crowded but somehow you narrowly avoid death.

Class game

Yep, score another point here too, used to play it in Silver Screen video shop after school when I was 10 or so, and battered it on the speccy too and more recently on MAME.
    I used to get up to about round 10 or 11 before the homing UFOs ended my chances.

Comment

Used to play this ALOT for the spectrum.

Think there is several other bombjack games too one a direct sequel.And i think another one with more modern graphics

Comment

Bomb Jack is one of my favourite games. The experience is just so tight. From the visuals to the catchy hypnotic music and effects, this is the pinnacle of solid game design. I discovered it in a leaisure centre around 1990.

The game is now a regular Mame favourite, and a true gem!

I hear they changed the music in the recent retro compilaton It's a real shame, because the tune is a total classic, and really adds to the experience!
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-01-2006, 13:16.

Comment

Yeah, I can remember the excitement it caused when it came out on the Spectrum! Fantastic..

Love the arcade game. Your right, it was very addictive. Loved the graphics also they were class

Comment

I grew up around the spectrum version!

I used to play it with my mum when I was about 3.

Comment

Yeah, I have to echo the comments about the spectrum version, this was my one of my favorite games ever.

I havent played it for years, this thread has just reminded me of it and made me want to try it again though, so gonna see how it holds up on mame in a bit!

There was a sequel, but It was a bit **** if I remember correctly
              Last edited by rmoxon; 10-01-2006, 16:40.

Comment

Another vote for the Spectrum version. One game that I actually paid full retail price for & not the cost of a blank C90 cassette & Curly Wurly. I've also started dabbling in the MAME version - top stuff indeed.
                Last edited by The Glider; 10-01-2006, 16:46.

Comment

Can someone explain to me what the thing is that comes out of his feet when he dies? I never did work that out. Is it angel wings or something? A guy I used to know called it his soul, but then he was a goth so anything's possible there.

Comment

Working...
                  X