Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games that that have aged (and those that haven't)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The games that age worse are defentlly racing games. racing games need speed, thats whole point of them, and if its on a slow console like the megadrive or even the master system there just ****.

Super monoca GP on master system has to be one the WORST games ever. >___<

Sports games dont age well either. 3D graphics is essitantal for them

On the flip side platform games age very well. The simplicity is defentlly an advantage for them imo

Comment

Zelda on the Nes, one of the worst games ive ever played. On the other hand Mario bros plays as good as ever.

+ Fear Effect
      - Resident evil
      Last edited by lurch996; 30-01-2006, 20:10.

Comment

all arcade:

splatterhouse - still brilliant
        rygar - still brilliant
        double dragon - still brilliant
        bad dudes - still brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by seany1979
          Ghouls & Ghosts, Area 88, Forgotten Worlds, Eco Fighters, and many more of the Capcom non-scrolling fighter arcade games from the 80s & 90s have aged tremendously well. Point Blank and Virtua Cop are still the daddies of lightgun gaming some ten years on or thereabouts. Metal Slug still looks and plays sublimely.
          AMEN. Ghouls & Ghosts while being soul destroyingly difficult is still one of the most addicitive games around. Point Blank what a laugh to play with mates round. Metal Slug is just Metal Slug and its fantastic.

As far as games that have aged badly one comes to find for me personally although its one im sure most people will have forgotten about or never cared for. But when i was younger and first got my NES Kung Fu was a game i played for hours i loved it, recently when i set up my NES (the same NES from when i was 5 or 6) and played Kung Fu i couldnt belive how poor it was when compared to my other NES games like Mario and Megaman.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
            Ah okay. I actually think WO1 aged badly the day WO2097
            Too true mate Thank the lord they brought out Wipeout Pure. I spent the whole of 2005 racing ghosts - not touched the multiplayer yet A true AAA title

Anyway - a game thats really aged well I think - Speedball II The graphics and gameplay are class. Its still tough (and fun!!!) to fight it out in a league or cup

A game however that hasnt aged well is 4D Sports driving on the PC - in the day it had the wow factor like I couldnt beleive - now its just ****e
            Last edited by Mu5; 30-01-2006, 22:06.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa
              I'm gonna have to say that Gunsar Heroes has aged well. If only because there hasn't been a run n gun since that comes even close to matching its brilliance.
              Having never owned this back in the day (I used to steal my mates copy) and only recently rediscovering it, I was amazed at how gorgeous it still looks and how great it feels to control.

Comment

Yeah - Gunstar Heroes was the dogs back in the day class

Comment

I think because its so colourful it helps. It still has that fresh feel to it.

Comment

Games that stand the test of time:

Contra Spirits: Looks great, moves great, plays like a dream!

New Zealand Story/Rainbow Islands/Taito Platformers in general: They all look crisp and charming, and offer near perfect playability.

BombJack: An action puzzle game that is in my opinion one of the most solid addictive gaming experiences ever created.

Final Fight: Walk, fight, complete. This beautiful game is all about pure arcade no bull**** satisfaction.

F-Zero: Every level, piece of music and ounce of gameplay is perfect. Much better than any other FZ title, and still a title I complete regularly.

Sonic 1: The music, the crisp graphics, and focused gameplay, keep me coming back year after year.

All Mario Platformers: I could play these all day every day. There is a deep rooted magic in these games that takes you away from reality, and in to a dream world of perfect gameplay.

Diddy Kong Racing: This is probably my favourite RARE title. It has an ambient charming atmosphere, and some of the best game design and play ever experienced.

Wave Race 64: I have to shout it: " This is my favourite game of all time! " Luckily for me this title still looks great, and boasts exquisite design. If I'm ever depressed or lack interest in gaming, I put this on, and my face lights-up with a giant smile.

Metal Slug Series: These games are such works of genius that I have no doubt they will still be played in hundreds of years!

As for the games that are best left forgotten. Well... most PS1 games are repulsive plague ridden corpses now ( though I always thought most 32bit 3D looked crap back in the day ) A lot of N64 titles are broken basic looking messes. The majority of 8bit computer games are empty boring and archaic. Most beat'em'ups are simplistic badly designed piles of garbage ( though most most serious gamers always did think Shaq-Fu etc.. were inferior SF2 wannabes )

I will post some offensive games soon!

Cheers!
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-01-2006, 03:02.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
                      most PS1 games are repulsive plague ridden corpses now ( though I always thought most 32bit 3D looked crap back in the day )
                      In spite of the fact that 3D was really only finding its feet and there were more than a few mucky looking games, I still reckon that there are many that, as games, have held their own. In the last year I went back to and was still very impressed by -
                      Metal Gear Solid
                      Silent Hill
                      WO2097
                      WO3SE
                      Rollcage 2

And, on Saturn -
                      Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Even with the dodgy texture warping in most of those games and the tragic animation of Silent Hill, there is a sense of design style and atmosphere and, importantly, gameplay that overcomes the technical shortcomings in my opinion. And, in the case of WO3, there really aren't any technical shortcomings. I'm sure there are many more but they are the only ones I revisited recently.

Comment

Eventhough people thought that it was dated when it was a new release I've always had a soft spot for Pilot Wings 64.

Especially when you take into account some of the best stoner moments gaming has to offer.....

Any stoner moment is timeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
                          In spite of the fact that 3D was really only finding its feet and there were more than a few mucky looking games, I still reckon that there are many that, as games, have held their own. In the last year I went back to and was still very impressed by -
                          Metal Gear Solid
                          Silent Hill
                          WO2097
                          WO3SE
                          Rollcage 2

And, on Saturn -
                          Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Even with the dodgy texture warping in most of those games and the tragic animation of Silent Hill, there is a sense of design style and atmosphere and, importantly, gameplay that overcomes the technical shortcomings in my opinion. And, in the case of WO3, there really aren't any technical shortcomings. I'm sure there are many more but they are the only ones I revisited recently.
                          Of course there definitely are some 32-bit 3D games that still offer a good dose of fun, but I really do feel most 3D games of that era are too dodgy to bother with. I guess it's just 3D in general though; the style ages very quickly.

You mentioned W03SE and RollCage2. Well... I bought these a few months back, and whilst they both look bearable, I just couldn't muster much enthusiasm for them. There is something hollow and empty about most old 3D games I play.

Back in the day, one of the big selling points of most 3D titles was the visuals. Just look at Resident Evil now, and see how badly it has aged. In todays world where old 3D visuals are no longer impressive, it all comes down to gameplay, and sadly most games really show how lacking they were in that department. Metal Gear Solid is still worth a play though, and there certainly are other 3D titles that still retain playability at least.

I think it's time for some WaveRace64!

Comment

Sunset Riders is a great example of an arcade game that has aged very well.

The graphics and sound are not too shabby and gameplay is still perfect after all these years.

Well worth digging out your old jamma collection. slash maim.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
                              You mentioned W03SE and RollCage2. Well... I bought these a few months back, and whilst they both look bearable, I just couldn't muster much enthusiasm for them. There is something hollow and empty about most old 3D games I play.
                              You're dead inside.

Comment

I enjoyed SCARS on the N64 loads more than I ever did Wipeout. Clocked the bugger after a week or so.
                                But then we all know there's something severely wrong with me anyway, so carry on.

Comment

Working...
                                X