No announcement yet.

Why JAP dc over PAL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've owned a PAL DC from launch I've never seen the point of buying a Japanese console despite having loads of import games. It's easy as pie to use a DCX or similar to run games and everything I've got runs in full screen 60hz including Capcom SNK 2. Same goes for the PS1, a chipped PAL unit suits me fine.

Also, as they have internal PSUs I much prefer not having to use a step down as they are a pain in the ass and mostly cannot be left plugged lest they go on fire. Alot more annoying than disc swapping.

As for limited edition consoles with bells and whistles, what a pile of arse I say. It's only a very small group of hardware fetishists who are seduced by such facile nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mu5
      Pal DC = Borders = ****e
      Pretty much all PAL SEGA DC games were 60hz full screen.

So no

Comment

yeah but all the more recent JPN releases such as Ikaruga and Psyvariar 2 play in 50hz bordered Modded NTSC DC = teh win! everything u put in it is 60hz!

Comment

i dunno but all my PAL DC when used VGA connection put the image that's pushed to left upper corner a little but never properly cantering on LCD monitor...

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
            I find my USA Dremcast to be the best, not only is it far more reliable (just like the Japanese model ), but it makes by far the less noise.
            This is very true, I went through 4 (!) PAL DC's in about 3 years. Now I have a US and JP one though . I can laugh about it now, but it's actually too redicilous for words, I mean someone at Sega actually made a concious decision to put lesser parts in the European machines and sell the console for the same price. Imagine that happening with any other consumer electronics .

Comment

I bought a 2nd PAL DC cos I heard they are unreliable. The 1st one is still going strong and gets used almost every other day. Yay me etc.

Comment

I still have my original pal DC (chipped) still works to this day, apart from the lazer which sounds like a donkey every time its loading something. Going to try and pick up one of those Resi ltd jobs soon, am I correct in thinking I can swap over the power boards ok? It seems a better alternative to a power hungry step down.

oops forgot to search http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=53748
                Seems you can - Joy
                Last edited by huxley; 31-01-2006, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Smegaman
                  yeah but all the more recent JPN releases such as Ikaruga and Psyvariar 2 play in 50hz bordered Modded NTSC DC = teh win! everything u put in it is 60hz!
                  I can get both Ikaruga and Psyvariar 2 to run at 60hz on my PAL machine, by using the Xploder.

In fact with DC-X & Xploder I can get all my NTSC titles to run at 60hz no problem. You can also force a large number of the PAL games which don't have the 50/60hz option into 60hz as well.

My brother is on his second DC however, but that's mainly down to him playing Phantasy Star Online V2 a lot. That game is well known to be a DC killer due to the way the disc information was set up.
                  Last edited by S3M; 31-01-2006, 11:41.

Comment

Ikaruga runs in 60hz when loaded with a DC-X....

Comment

Buy a 60hz Dreamcast and install the 4 wire mod chip to remove the region lock.

This lets you play everything except PAL-50hz only games (oh what a shame!)

Comment

Also, the 1st batch of Jap Dreamcasts had a metal powerfan instead of a plastic one.

Comment

Working...
                        X