I've finally taken the plunge Saturn [step down question]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chojin
    will any old rgb scart lead do for my saturn as it hasn't got one with it?.. there are plenty on ebay for 4 quid...

TIA
    Jp Saturns can be kinda funky with regards to RGB switching voltages, so you might need to remove/change a resistor to get it to work on your TV.
    If your TV has the option to manually switch to RGB you're in happy land regardless.

Comment

i've got a Toshiba LCD TV which has 2 rgb sockets, which I can set to Pal, NTSC, Secam or to auto, so am I ok there?..

do I need a memory card?...
      Last edited by chojin; 23-04-2006, 19:35.

Comment

i've got a Toshiba LCD TV which has 2 rgb sockets, which I can set to Pal, NTSC, Secam or to auto, so am I ok there?..

do I need a memory card?...
        It doesn't sound like your TV can switch to RGB manually then (its usually older CRT TVs that can) so it's reasonably likely you'll have to fiddle with the cable if it is wired up with the same resitor on pins 8/16 as the official Sega ones are. Only way to be sure is buy one and try it out.

I've never bothered with a memory card, just pop a new battery in the SS when you get it and you'll be fine for a while.

Comment

right i'm well and truly skint now after buying the saturn and other things.. I have no games for this system, hell I haven't even got the console in my possession yet. But no point in buying it and having no games, so what 5 games should I pick up initially to get me going, they need to be ones I can pick up cheap but also games every Saturn owner should have?

Comment

Virtua Fighter 2
            SEGA Rally
            NiGHTS
            Daytona 1 or CCE (though neither are great versions I just like Daytona)
            Virtua Cop 2

Comment

Agree with above.

These shouldn't be too expensive either, all excellent.

Vampire Hunter
              Panzer Dragoon Zweii (got mine for ?15 mint, should be able to get under ?10 if you look around)
              Manx TT
              Dead Or Alive

Comment

Layer Section shouldn't set you back too many sheckels - & will introduce you to the wonderfully addictive world of Saturn shooters.

Comment

right i'm well and truly skint now after buying the saturn and other things.. I have no games for this system, hell I haven't even got the console in my possession yet. But no point in buying it and having no games, so what 5 games should I pick up initially to get me going, they need to be ones I can pick up cheap but also games every Saturn owner should have?
                  Should be able to pick up these for upto a max of ?3 each in pretty much any gamestation:

VF2, Sega Rally, Daytona

So for between a fiver and a tenner you can have a great start of some classic Sega arcade games

Comment

cheers guys!

I have to say i'm really excited about my saturn arriving

i've never owned one or played a game on one!!! I hear you cry

I popped into Gamestation at the weekend and saw a Pal model for sale in the window, I was really surprised at how big the console is! no way am I gonna be able to sneek this one past the bread knife!

Comment

ok one more question and I promise i'll never bother ya'll again.. well hopefully apart from telling you how much I enjoy Saturn gaming..

I've got a step down for my US snes, will I be able to use it for my JP saturn, its been packed away for a while as my SNES is taking a break cuz of current Sega MD revival, so i'm not sure what its rated at, I just bought when I got the SNES

Comment

I think a 50w or above step-down is o.k.

Comment

Make sure it's 100v (Japan) and not 120v (USA).

While the Sega Saturn can withstand the slight voltage difference for a while, the 120v will and can damage your Sega Saturn in the long term rendering it useless.

Sega Saturn needs 15w so anything higher than this number is sufficient. I personally bought a 30w and it worked perfectly

Comment

Working...
                          X