PSone collecting - jump right in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huyi View Post
    so you think a game is rare based on the fact that it's japanese counterpart is a hard to find game?
    i never said that

i clearly stated that rare games have low print runs

i also clearly stated that some western games are worth more than the Japanese versions

and i also clearly stated that only around 10% of the Japanese games cost a packet, which are normally games which were never released into the western market - so there isnt a counterpart

and yes USA games run at the same speed, but they still didnt loads of great shooters which are only available in Japan

but i've been importing since Splatterhouse 2 around 1993 and apart from RPG's its not that difficult to play imported games, i managed to finish Silent hill and Resident evil - so it cant be that bad

but as you say - each to their own

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
      Well lets just say I wont post pictures (yet!) but my PAL psone collection consists of 151 games, bought my 151st game today.
      Riven on ps1 for a nice ?2.99, god love you gamestation.
      Did Riven have the original and I think unique fold out 5 disc case?

Quickly regretted I got rid of my (pristine) copy, for a reasonable profit , but decided to rebuy it a year later. Took some tracking down but I found it: very clean and cheap (?8 from CEX) but unfortunately I later realised the case wasn't original. It was just a simple 4 disc one with the 4th/5th discs stacked. Still a great port of a superb looking game and one of the best on the PS.

Comment

Yeah the guy in gamestation was like, "how many discs does this have!? 5 bloody elle" He didnt know where to put the 5th disc, then he say the fold out bit, really cool.
        Now got original Myst and Riven on psone chuffed at that and Riven for £2.99 BOGOF, didnt have anything else so i bought Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast.

Comment

Should I collect EU, US or JP PS1 games?

I'm still undecided. I'm going for a complete set so I want to get it right lol.

Comment

If you're going for a complete set i'd think twice... especially if you're going Jpn, unless you have a spare warehouse and plan on remortgaging the house..

Comment

I agree, I like collecting my PSone PAL stuff but I would NEVER go for full set.
              Over 10 years worth of software to buy, no thank you.
              Especially since on PAL about 60% was total **** and 40% quality.

Comment

Aye, but i'd probably put that at about 80-90% **** to be honest... the drawback of an overwhelmingly sucessful console.

Comment

I was gonna say 80% but thought that might be a bit harsh and I might get accused on PSone bashing

Comment

How would I decide what to buy and what not to buy though?

I'd like to collect retro games but I'm too young to remember PS1, so I wouldn't really know what to get.

And going for a full set probably is a bit silly, as there is like 800 games or something.

What do you guys recommend?

Comment

Go Japanese in my humble opinion

but i wouldnt go for a full set as there is hundreds

you can start via me </wink>

being serious aside - go Nippon

Comment

I don't really want to go Japan though because of the language barrier. I'd like to play these games lol. I'd rather not have a collection of 100 or so AWESOME games that I can't understand.

And what's Nippon?

Comment

Originally posted by mmcg View Post
                          I don't really want to go Japan though because of the language barrier. I'd like to play these games lol. I'd rather not have a collection of 100 or so AWESOME games that I can't understand.

And what's Nippon?
                          most games have english in them, just dont buy RPG's and you will be fine

Comment

Fast reply lol. What about games like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. Won't all the text in them be Japanese?

What's Nippon though?

Comment

Originally posted by mmcg View Post
                              Fast reply lol. What about games like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. Won't all the text in them be Japanese?

What's Nippon though?
                              things like the files are all in Japanese but i still manage to finish both

voice acting maybe apart from david hayter is normally better as well

Go Nippon - Go Japanese

Comment

Wouldn't US be the same as JAP but just in English?

Isn't it only PAL that gets the slower speed and black bars that I've heard about?

Comment

Working...
                                X