No announcement yet.

The Greatest Online U.K. Magazine Resource Ever:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can imagine how well "pages and pages of programs" would go down these days And the only 'mind games' played now seem to be between the major console manufacturers...

Comment

This is singularly ****ing awesome. Many thanks for the link.

Comment

That C+VG section brought back a shed load of memories. I remember owning most of those mags

Comment

"what on earth does capcom think it's doing with the super-fab CP system board? The release before last was UN squadron - a banal horizontal shooter. Yawn. And now, we are offered Final Fight - A beat-em-up.

Ok so the sprites are big but does the world seriously need another one of these?..."
          Heh, ACE were pretty terrible when it came to arcade reviews. I've checked on that scan site and it's not there but their Street Fighter II review was stunningly short-sighted...they said it was an unoriginal HKM clone (crap Atari ST one-on-one fighter) and wasn't worth playing! I remember reading the review with my jaw on the floor, cos everyone else was going ape**** over it at the time.

Comment

Most of those I bet were done by Mort the scan king... guy's a dedicated scanning freak
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelli0n
              Some of these reviews are breathtakingly short sighted..

Heres what ACE had to say about final fight

"what on earth does capcom think it's doing with the super-fab CP system board? The release before last was UN squadron - a banal horizontal shooter. Yawn. And now, we are offered Final Fight - A beat-em-up.

Ok so the sprites are big but does the world seriously need another one of these?..."

They then go on to give it a 2 10p coins out of 5 rating. That well known gamers favourite, the classic "ameri-darts" scores higher., with 3 10p coins.
              forgettable zombie operation wolf clone 'Beast Busters' gets 4/5

C+VG's first review of outrun was a bit lackluster too , they seemed to prefur WEC lemans.
              I was with them at the time. I'd already played Gang Wars, Golden Axe and Crime Fighters to death over the preceeding two years. When Final Fight arrived in our arcade everybody was playing Robocop 2 instead. It was easier, plus you got to have guns and rockelaunchers!

Comment

I was with them at the time. I'd already played Gang Wars, Golden Axe and Crime Fighters to death over the preceeding two years. When Final Fight arrived in our arcade everybody was playing Robocop 2 instead. It was easier, plus you got to have guns and rockelaunchers!
                But which game is remembered today?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelli0n
                  Looking through c+vg and ace again, i started feeling the same excitement i used to feel then. For some reason, When i see the PC engine on the front of a 1987 C+VG, it still looks really exotic and unattainable. I've only just started to browse really, but Heres an issue i loved

I still have the outrun/720 tape that came with it. I used to listen to that for hours on loop. one of the best things to be mounted on a cover of a magazine, in the history of putting things on the front of magazines.

Thanks for the great links... I'm going to be flicking through all this lot for ages.
                  Skate or Die!

quality!!.. I remember that tape, I dubbed it over and over again on a 60 min tape and I had it playing on my walkman during my paper round for weeks!..

Comment

For those of us that missed out at the time, can someone copy the cassette and encode it to mp3?

Comment

Originally posted by chis
                      For those of us that missed out at the time, can someone copy the cassette and encode it to mp3?
                      i think mines at my parents, but the Outrun side of the cassette is basically this:

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/si...OutRun.mp3.zip

The 720 side is really good too though, hopefully someone will have it to hand

Comment

I get "lost connection" after copying some 20-odd MB, could be because a) I'm on a Mac and/or b) I'm behind a firewall

Comment

I have that tape too! It was mint and I agree it was the best cover mount ever. I'm sure it had AfterBurner music on it also.

Skate or Die, skate or die.

The first C&VG I ever purchased had a mini Arcade Action booklet cover mount. Had a guide for OutRun, a feature on an old distributors warehouse (Deith?) with rows of Wec Le Mans and Star Wars cabs, I'm sure an interview with Capcom and some lovely artwork for VS Super Mario Bros. coupled with splendid screen shots throughout (all from memory). Them were the days and put now to shame, magazine wise, clearly.
                          Last edited by JAPJAC; 21-04-2006, 12:10.

Comment

Same here - I have fond memories of that Skate or Die tape

"Skate. Or. Die!" Dunah dunha dunah, dunah dunah dunah dunha.... 8)

Comment

Does anyone know of any other good magazine scans online, apart from the World Of Spectrum ones? Are the Ace scans online anywhere?
                              Personally I really want to see Zero scans online somewhere...

Comment

Nice find mate, downloading the issues from around 1989-1992 to read about the Mega Drive.

Comment

Working...
                                X