Soukyugurentai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soukyugurentai

Old, old news to you chaps I presume, but what a sensational game this is - wish I'd got round to it sooner really.

The controls are sublime - it feels so perfectly weighted that any life loss is simply your own fault, rather than any game peculiarity. I adore netting enemy ships in my web & unleashing the lock on lasers of doom - it's cheaper than therapy & has a much more immediate result. Obviously I'm ****e at it, but that's my lot in life.

It's a looker too - I'd actually been led to believe that it looked a bit pap, but far from it; nice enemy design, decent backdrops & a great soundtrack all complement the hectic action. I'm finding the difficulty quite high, but then I'm not quite in the zone with the game yet - a few more hours & hopefully I'll be there.

Great stuff - I'm enjoying it so much it's edged out the mighty Batsugun as my second favourite Saturn shooter

did you get the original or the update version?

Comment

I got the updated version.

Comment

A fine game, great music too, really gets the pulse pumping. It gets fiendishly hard on some of the later levels, too.

I really wish I hadn't sold my Saturn. Ho hum.

Comment

Cool game, I really like the look (Nebulasray inspired?)
          Shame about the usual Raizing nazi rank control though.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man
            Shame about the usual Raizing nazi rank control though.
            What's that then?

Comment

The difficulty increases (like a bitch) based on the number of enemies killed, powerups collected etc.

Comment

Ah yes - I noticed that in Battle Garegga as well I believe; hence why players purposely lose the odd life I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man
                  The difficulty increases (like a bitch) based on the number of enemies killed, powerups collected etc.
                  Yeah, grab the 1CC video from Superplay.co.uk and you'll notice the player ignores all the power-ups to keep the rank in check.

By no means my favourite on the SS but still an excellent shooter. Love the music in it and the descent from the clouds on Stage 3 is great.

Comment

How well does the ps1 version stack up? We'll take it as read the saturn version is better etc

Comment

PS1 version slows down quite a bit more, but has an extra ship.

Comment

I got the special version for a single pound a few months back. Haven't had chance to play it much but it is a sublime shooter. I tend to play Layer Section more though. Not sure why but I find it more compelling.

Comment

A pound?? How?

Comment

This 'lock on lazer' business is troubling me, it dosnt play like raystorm/raycrisis does it? If so i'll give it a miss..

Comment

Similar, but unlike Raystorm/Crisis it isn't rubbish.

Rayforce/Layer Section is better though.

Comment

Working...
                              X