Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taito Legends 2, PS2 vs Xbox (see 3rd page)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The barmy thing is though, the PS2 version was coded by Taito Japan themselves, not Xplosiv (or Empire?) who only did the Xbox version. I find it shocking that the company that made these games did a worse job of porting them than some 3rd party outsource company which was hired for the job. Sloppy, just sloppy. I guess Taito Japan wasn't taking the task very seriously, since if it was botched, it's not like they could fire themselves hey?

I'm not going to bother ordering the Xbox version now. I just bought Colossus of Play-Asia for cheap, so can't spare the cash. Reckon I'll just MAME these games from now one. You have to laugh, a homemade, free to download, and semi-illegal program, does a far better job than a commercially sold, professionally coded, and fully legal alternative.

Imagine if the only way to get decent paracetemal that actually cured headaches, was to find a street dealer selling illegally manufactured versions of it.

Comment

I take it then that the original Japanese versions (that I have) are fine on PS2, and it's only the PAL version with problems?
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Looks that way.

Comment

Was thinking of getting it the other day, lucky I've now seen this thread. Guess I'll be getting the JP version then.

Comment

nope I have the original jap one and the uk ones and the PAL 60hz version is the same speed as the Jap one. I think its fine but if there is an issue with speed then its the same for both Jap and UK versions. *BTW mame is not necessarily the best gauge for speed, cabs are not all 60hz, lots are actually 54-57Hz and this doesnt ever seem to happen in mame.

Comment

The xbox version, as far as I know, actually uses MAME as its engine, with the original Taito ROMs. That explains one or two things concerning its alleged superior porting of one or two games.

Comment

So I finally got hold of the Xbox version. Wow. Vastly superior to the PS2 version, in so many ways.

I actually went and did some research, and I think I may have said this previously, but the PS2 version was by Taito, and the Xbox version was by Explosiv/Empire. And a hell of a lot more effort went into the Xbox version that the PS2 one.

While the PS2 game allows full button customisation for the controls, the Xbox version has a history section on Taito, a section on their landmark developments, plus a video interview with the gentleman behind Space Invaders. This is all very impressive.

But above all else, the Xbox version has perfect emulation/coding of the games. All the controls work well, everything functions correctly.

I also looked into why some versions have different games to others. This has nothing to do with selling more copies. Apparently Taito Japan, who developed the PS2 version, wouldn?t give out the source code for games like Raystorm and G Darius, meaning only they were able to make a properly functioning version of it. On the other hand, apparently, due to the lack of raw power in the PS2, or RAM or something, I honestly wasn?t paying attention when hearing the explanation, this meant that only the Xbox could run games like Rayforce. Taito Japan were apparently unable to get it running for their PS2 compilation, while Explosiv/Empire were able. Not sure about games like Bubble Symphony of Pop?n?Pop. But several titles were due to either not having source code, or the hardware abilities of the system it was running on (and maybe also balancing out the numbers of 4 vs 4).

But I think the key point here is, those behind the Xbox version deserve much praise for going that extra mile when developing it. You can tell much care went into things, from the perfect emulation and functionality of all games, even down to the custom menu screen music. It?s good to know they took the project seriously, and created something for retro fans to be happy with.

I find it bitterly ironic, that the version created by Taito themselves, turned out to be poor compared to the work of a 3rd party.

To summarise, now that I have both and have played them extensively, this is without doubt the best retro compilation out there, and HIGHLY recommended.

But if you DO decide to buy it, get the Xbox version, if possible.

Comment

Does the Xbox version allow button customisation or not? Just curious - happy enough with the PC version.

Comment

Sadly not, though I've not had any real trouble with it (though I've not played EVERY single game a great deal, just my favourites). Most games only use one or two buttons anyway.

It's an interesting point though, since I really don't understand why there needed to be these differences between versions. Obviously the two companies didn't communicate much.

Comment

I read somewhere that one of the people who worked on the Xbox/PC version was heavily involved in the MAME project. I guess that explains a few things.

Comment

I've got the PS2 version. It's filtered but I like the bright PS2 SCART picture so it's just about bearable. Does the XB version have a 'filter OFF' option? Most XBox games already look filtered to begin with...

I'll probably get the XB one anyway, 'cos it's got Cadash and I like Cadash. If it hasn't got filters, I'll pay up to a tenner but if it has then I'll be looking at paying a fiver or less...

Comment

You mean the soft glow most Xbox games have? I don't think it' actually possible to have that turned off. At least that's what I was told by the homebrew community.

Though the Xbox version does have better screen options. You've got the standard Streched or Original screen ratios, just like the PS2 version, but as an added bonus, you can still manually zoom in and out of the screen. When you pause it, there the option to increase/decrease the size while maintaining the aspect ratio. This is good, because some games have a lot of wasted space at the top and bottom, and have "thin" screens, meaning you can adjust it slightly, thereby improving things.

Seriously man, it's a tenner brand new online (with free P+P depending where you are), and if you want it for the exclusives (and fixed controls), then it's worth it. I bought each version for a tenner each, which in total I think comes to the original RRP. So a good deal all round. Well, unless the filters on some games really gets to you.

Comment

I've got both Taito Legends comps on the PS2 so I feel a little wary of splashing out too much to get four extra games. I'll definitely get both XBox versions eventually, though, sad completist that I am - especially cos XB Legends 2 has better emulation, game histories and enhanced screen options. I think one of my main (petty) problems is that I prefer arcade games on consoles to look colourful and 'raw' and pixelly and I find that most XBox games - apart from the original Splinter Cell and maybe Outrun 2 - look a little 'subdued', even through the official RGB Scart lead (something possibly to do with anti-aliasing as standard???)

Anyway, cheers for the info!

Comment

The XB has a very soft video output, but I just turn the sharpness on my tv right-up and I notice things become clearer, like wiping vaseline off the screen.

It's good to finally know which version is the best. I was going to buy the PS2 versions because of the almost guaranteed compatibility with the PS3, but now I hear the XB is the best, I will buy them instead!

Comment

Since you can remap the buttons in it, I'd say the PC version was best.

Comment

Working...
                                X