No announcement yet.

My new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelaa - I can see where you're coming from but if you happen to have a family then having wall-to-wall arcade boards simply isn't an option. I know you're a hardcore collector but after my recent brush with the harsh realities of house-buying and downsizing, I'm afraid to report that most people simply don't have the space. I'm looking at buying a tiny two bedroom house and I'll be sharing that with my partner and our daughter - so the collection's had to go. I simply don't have the space. So if indulging in a bit of MAME rommage on my laptop is bad, damn me to hell!

And besides, what difference does it make if Retro Gamer uses emulators to take screenshots? Can you tell from looking at the shots they use? Does it make the features they run any less accurate?

Comment

I'm in a similar position, Duddy

Can store stuff at my parents house but not forever and if it stays there for a year without me missing it, well it can go. I'm trying to get into a no-horde mindset, but it is difficult!

Comment

Used to have one of those in my dads old fast food in cyprus way back in 90 something. It had rygar on it! I was like 10 or something and used to admire all the peeps that sat there for a full 2 hours and completed it! I was too young to play my dad said! ft: Ah fond memories...

Comment

nice!

you should remount the joysticks so the mounting plates are underneath the board, if possible of course

Comment

Thanks for the PM wheela, for some reason I can't reply to pms, so I thought I'd post here so you know I'm not ignoring you.

Darran

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
              Wheelaa - I can see where you're coming from but if you happen to have a family then having wall-to-wall arcade boards simply isn't an option. I know you're a hardcore collector but after my recent brush with the harsh realities of house-buying and downsizing, I'm afraid to report that most people simply don't have the space. I'm looking at buying a tiny two bedroom house and I'll be sharing that with my partner and our daughter - so the collection's had to go. I simply don't have the space. So if indulging in a bit of MAME rommage on my laptop is bad, damn me to hell!
              Ok first up I was just trying to live up to my rep as a constant basher of teh roms! Post about roms in retro...get a snide remark from Wheelaa. Par for the course I'm afraid! I wasn't having a specific dig at Darren. Anyone who posted such a cab would get the same replies from me, you know that. Just friendly banter.

I too see where you are coming from btw...but space issues etc mean nothing to me. You don't have the right to play games just because they exist, that's my viewpoint. If you can afford a big house and every pcb there is, great. If you can't, tough titties, you don't get to play them. Just my views, ignore me

And besides, what difference does it make if Retro Gamer uses emulators to take screenshots? Can you tell from looking at the shots they use? Does it make the features they run any less accurate?
              Using emus for mag shots, I can understand that.

I do feel it goes against the whole retro thing in the first place. Roms on a pc isn't true retro, no way. Its not celebrating the games, the experience of retro, its just celebrating that a piece of old code can be run on something not so old.

As regards it being any less accurate..well it depends how far emulation is used imo. If its just for decent screenies then sure, that will help sell mags etc, coolio (as long as you own the original of course)

However if articles are written based purely from emulated play that is not good. No emulation is 100%, therefore as soon as you comment on the game itself, by just using emulation, your comments are inherently flawed (and you're also illegally using the hard work of others for profit..much like a rom seller on ebay say). I'm not saying RG do any of this btw, just shooting hypotheticals.

Comment

Nice cab Daz, looks home made to me :-)

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa
                  If you can afford a big house and every pcb there is, great. If you can't, tough titties, you don't get to play them. Just my views, ignore me
                  That's a fair point mate, in fact it's no different from those people that have Ibara and Pro Gear Japanese boards. You know, those ones that say unless you're playing the game in japan you can't play it or you'll be arrestted to the full extent of the jam LOL. Ultimately, you're still not allowed to have it if you're in the wrong territory. (although I appreciate that no one's going to share that viewpoint on this site )

Comment

I get your point Wheelaa but at the end of the day I'd rather 'break the law' and play emulated arcade games on MAME than attempt to get the actual boards. Your argument about 'ripping off the companies that made them' is fair but ultimately flawed - if you buy an arcade board of a game that's roughly 5-10 years old, you'll be buying it from a private seller, not the original company that produced it, so they will in effect get nothing in return.

Emulating home machines is a no-no, though. Especially when most can be gotten cheaply. And I agree that there's no substitute for playing on the original hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                      Got this today and it's lovely

That's pretty sweet mate. How much did you pay for the woman and the kid?
                      Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Sorry Strider, didn't mean to derial your thread so much. Just look at his cab peeps and rejoice.

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                        Your argument about 'ripping off the companies that made them' is fair but ultimately flawed - if you buy an arcade board of a game that's roughly 5-10 years old, you'll be buying it from a private seller, not the original company that produced it, so they will in effect get nothing in return.
                        Which is exactly why I didn't state that argument. My argument isn't that you're ripping off the companies that made them. My argument is that you shouldn't have copies, fakes etc at all! (unless they're 'original' md pirates of course, they're allowed!). And as I say just ignore me. My initial comment was meant purely to be a snide remark from wheelaa as I am won't to do when talk turns to roms.

Comment

Working...
                        X