Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made that post almost a year ago.

Comment

It's in Edge this month (the game) I figure that's why this thread's been reanimated ?

Comment

yep also i saw on insertcredit.com mentioned about a new video

Comment

Apparently that prototype was released a few months ago. Was readin it over at the assembler forums. Doesn't look like much fun to play but anyone tried it out? I attempted to get a torrent for it but there is no seeds.

Comment

Doesn't look like much fun to play but anyone tried it out?
            It's not... you can have just as much fun watching a video. It's really just Sonic running around in a field.

Comment

Ofcourse they should've done a 2d Sonic, with high res sprites, and some other neat 32 bit effects. Yes, I do understand they had to compete with Mario 3D but still.... Sonic's gameplay relied on clever level design, with loopings and perfect speedruns. 3D usually kills the speed, or does what the later released 3d Sonics actually do: they make the gameplay and camera a pool of frustration.

The Saturn was originally designed as a 2d powerhouse, yet no 2d sonic was in development prior to the launch... its the damn mascot and moneymaker of Sega!

But hell, its Sega logic we're dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                Apparently that prototype was released a few months ago. Was readin it over at the assembler forums. Doesn't look like much fun to play but anyone tried it out? I attempted to get a torrent for it but there is no seeds.
                You're looking at one of the VERY FIRST to play it Yep, Sonic Xtreme was released by ASSEMbler games. The official rared ISO comes with cover art that we members put together as a sort of celebration contest.

Yakumo

Comment

That's awesome. Lucky you! Any chance you could post a scan/picture of the cover art you guys created?

Comment

yeah, I think I still have them around, if now I'Ll just grab them from ASSEMbler himself. He'll still havet hem for sure. Check back here later on.

Yakumo

Comment

Scans!

Comment

Oh, bugger, I forgot about these. OK here are a few of the better covers made.

and here is one from the joke section

I can't seem to find the original rar on my hard drive anymore so I'll ask one of the other ASSEMbler members for a copy. That contains better quality iamges plus loads more too including some pretty funny joke covers.

Yakumo

Comment

That artwork takes me back to endless summer holidays, blue sky's and Arcade shop fronts.

Comment

Just another vid to add to the collection:

http://www.unseen64.netVideo from SoST, Secrets of Sonic Team: www.sost.emulationzone.org.The original file was put up on The Sonic Cult: http://www.sonic-cu...

So if this was filmed at the '96 E3, would that make this the Saturn build? If so, just like Shenmue, SX really pushes the Saturn far beyond what anyone thought it was capable of. Oh, if Sega's internal wrangling hadn't killed off SX perhaps it would have bought the Saturn enough life to see a Shenmue release. In which case we'd probably be playing Shenmue 3 on the Dreamcast's successor right now...

Comment

That's Saturn build yeah. There's 2 Saturn builds - one based on the nights engine (which is the one that was leaked), and one based on this new engine after Naka threw his toys out of the pram.

It's a technically impressive engine when you consider it's a Saturn, the kind of effects it's pushing out, and the framerate.... would it have been a good game? I'm less sure. And tbh, Sega lost that generation after Xmas 1995, Sonic Xtreme would have been too little too late imo.

Those covers are brill, though the use of the Sonic X logo... the less said about Sonic X, the better!

Comment

Nice artwork on some of them. I ended up somehow finally gettin the torrent for this to download. Was the rar file Yakumo said about with all the scans in it. very nice indeed. managed to get the game running on my saturn too with the swap trick after about 20 attempts. XD The music was brilliant in it. Anyone know where to get the music on it's own as an mp3?

Comment

Working...
                                X