Great SHUMP’s for Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wools View Post
    I love it, I specifically asked for recommendations for non bullet hell style SHUMP's and in the space of 2 weeks, I'm importing a copy of Dodonpachi DaiOuJou Blissful Death Re:Incarnation!

For anyone going on the same journey I am, here's Nintendo Life's wonderful review that got me into it, and here's the Amazon Japan link. This importing lark, takes me back to the late 90's and early 00's.
    It's a superb conversion of a superb game! I imported the PS2 version when it first came out and I feel like I've probably spent more hours playing that disc than anything else I've ever bought.

As I briefly mentioned above, bullet hell isn't always as intimidating as the name suggests. DOJ certainly isn't an easy game, but lots of traditional shoot'em ups are also very difficult, just in a different (and sometimes cheap) way. When I first played the original Dodonpachi I struggled with the most basic dodging, but over time it became a lot easier. Try to keep your movement quite deliberate, don't just weave around the screen shooting. You shouldn't have to learn to dodge hundreds of bullets all coming from different directions, when it gets like that, it's usually about being in the right part of the screen and taking out the most dangerous enemies quickly. Just replay the section trying different things and you'll usually find a way to make it much more managable. That should get you quite deep into the game. By the second loop you probably do need super-human powers, so you're on your own

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post

It's a superb conversion of a superb game! I imported the PS2 version when it first came out and I feel like I've probably spent more hours playing that disc than anything else I've ever bought.

As I briefly mentioned above, bullet hell isn't always as intimidating as the name suggests. DOJ certainly isn't an easy game, but lots of traditional shoot'em ups are also very difficult, just in a different (and sometimes cheap) way. When I first played the original Dodonpachi I struggled with the most basic dodging, but over time it became a lot easier. Try to keep your movement quite deliberate, don't just weave around the screen shooting. You shouldn't have to learn to dodge hundreds of bullets all coming from different directions, when it gets like that, it's usually about being in the right part of the screen and taking out the most dangerous enemies quickly. Just replay the section trying different things and you'll usually find a way to make it much more managable. That should get you quite deep into the game. By the second loop you probably do need super-human powers, so you're on your own
      I remember the game when it got its PS2 release but never splurged as I never had an PS2 capable of imports. That artwork really stood out and I vividly remember a few of us here playing the game, sharing stories and the hype around Cave. I think I had imported Ikaruga by that point, so was tip toeing into the world of SHUMP's.

Got the game and lovely booklet (Plus exclusive Amazon.jp cover art) that would post here but can't easily so will leave it to your imagination, but it's beautiful! Played over 2 hours of it yesterday and adored it; The pixel art is beautiful and reminds me of a Neo Geo AES on steroids, it moves at a hell of a rate and it's unrelenting. The amount of times I killed a boss, picked up my cup of tea to take a sip and then got killed as the game got going already. I ****ing love it!

I've started on the M2 Developed Super Easy mode and it's a nice intro. I was able to get deep into the game yesterday before dying each run but never felt unfair, just I missed a ship that had my number. For anyone who thinks it's **** to include Super Easy mode then they can go and jump off a high one, it's still bloody difficult!

However, I had 3 full runs today, the 1st I got to the final boss but got ripped a new one. the second was better but I got stupid and lost 2 lives early on in the game, but the game rewards stupidity with a bonus life on the next run. Cut to this afternoon, I got a full run and it was beautiful. No lives lost on Stage 1, 2 or 3. But lost 1 on 4 and 5 was a hammering. However, was able to push through and nail the ****er and proper cheered when I done it!

One thing that isn't made clear was what an interesting and deep story it has. Some Waifu stuff is of course involved, but the story beats are quite effecting with the end (Which required some Google Translate and reading up online) was quite moving.

What a ****ing marvellous game with the upmost respectful presentation by M2. Will be playing this more on Super Easy mode getting a feel for it and have already eyed up ESP Ra.De. Psi from Cave and m2 again. It's odd as I loved Treasure and thought every other Developer was secondary, but I'm starting to learn so much more about Cave now and they really have mode some epic games.

Comment

Working...
      X