Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like the N64DD randnet service is been revived.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the N64DD randnet service is been revived.

Found the news on reddit from the creators of the service but it looks like they are working on rebuilding the randnet online service for the N64DD for the handful of people that still have one. Apparently it's working with both real hardware and emulation, something to do with connecting to a rasp pi for real hardware users, a neat feature that is neat to see it brought back to life. Still not released yet but the main site for it is here.

I know it’s easy to take the piss and think what’s the point but I think it’s important.

Developers frequently create a cool service that is used by many or few people and after just a few months or years, turn it off and actively try to stop any attempts to keep it going. It’s a throwaway mentality they have, so I love arcane stuff like this is resuscitated and brought back to life!

Comment

It's weird seeing stuff like this revived especially something really niche as this. But it's an amazing feat to somehow get it to communicate with a server that isn't from nintendo. I always wondered if something could be done with the satellaview system but thats harder as it's not only online it also had audio that was broadcast at a set time that worked alongside the BS games like mario & zelda. Least with randnet it's like a very basic online browser, need to fish out my rasp pi boards and see if any of them can be repurposed to make this work for randnet hoping i don't need anything higher than a pi2b as that's the highest model i have laying around.

Comment

This is really cool. Def let us know how you get on with it please.

Comment

I might have to set my 64DD up again. I'll need a bloody Raspberry Pi first though

Comment

I was thinking the other day how it’s generally forgotten that the 64DD was promised as soon as the N64 had launched. Many of the big-hitter games were originally planned for the device (Zelda, Mother 3, the Pokemon spinoffs). Then those games gradually get transferred to cartridge release, or just mostly held over to the GameCube (Animal Crossing). Then had a very limited Japan launch at the turn of the millennium. In retrospect it’s a very influential system despite never being widely released!
            Last edited by Protocol Penguin; 21-01-2024, 11:05.

Comment

It's great stuff things like this happening. Weird they even released it in the end gotta be up there for DOA status with Jaguar CD.

Comment

Working...
              X