UK Arcade Visit 2023 - Heart of Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Arcade Visit 2023 - Heart of Gaming

A few months ago, me and my Brother heard a Podcast where they mentioned an Arcade here in the UK called Heart of Gaming. After a few months of discussion, we thought we'll both book the day off work and make the 2 hour drive to go and visit the place. We were not disappointed.

Heart of Gaming is based in Croydon, London and has an interesting setup which is far removed from Arcades of old. Instead of £1 per play, it's 1 upfront charge of £20 per Adult, which entitles you to all day access of the venue, with all Arcade games set to Free Play. Me and my Brother had lunch and turned up around 12pm and we didn't leave till it closed at 7pm!

I've played at some great Arcades in the UK over my lifetime, like the Sega World at the Trocadero, Bournemouth Pier, Swanage Amusements and so many more. But this comes close to topping them all. Yes there's places that had more machines, or had multi cabinets, but none had the range of machines and with all of them set to Free Play, you're actually able to complete them all, no matter how rubbish you are! Although the cabinets are very prominently from the 1990's - 2000's, considering how all Arcade machines are now becoming an antique with parts hard to source, that's understandable. But considering my favourite Arcade era was the 90's, it was perfect for me!

Although there were so many machines, from deluxe cabinets, to simple uprights, JAMMA Boards, Naomi Cabinets and a few Astro City units, I can't name them all as it was like a buffet! In the end, me and my Brother completed the following games:
    1. Virtua Cop 2
    2. Silent Scope
    3. Daytona USA
    4. Daytona USA 2
    5. Outrun 2 SP
    6. After Burner Climax
    7. Jurassic Park: The Lost World
    8. Time Crisis 2
    9. Prop Cycle
    10. Star Wars Arcade​
    With the exception of Daytona USA and Time Crisis 2, I've never completed any of those! So it was great to play the games but as soon as you reached an end credit screen, easily press Start and go again. Although all the games were epic, it was lovely seeing a Virtua Cop 2 unit running well, the lesser spotted Model 3 powered The Lost World cabinet looking and playing beautifully (With OG Screen!) along with so many others. Here's a few pictures.

What was nice to see, is the owner clearly keeping the machines alive, with old CRT's still being disassembled behind the counter and work clearly ongoing. We chatted with him a few times over our 7 hour session there and he comes across as a passionate and clearly knowledgable bloke. If any of you are in or close to the London area, I fully recommend the place and it'll be cool to show support to a clear labour of love. Here's the website for Heart of Gaming. They're also connected to a retro gaming shop next door, which has a nice selection of games and hardware.

As time marches on and Arcades vanish, it's odd to be reminded what they were like, as you discuss them with mates or hear about them on sites like YouTube and retro Podcasts, but few Arcade sites actually remain to visit. So it was beautiful to go back to a massive venue and have long lost childhood memories come back to life, and be tangible again. That ting of the Namco Light Gun...

Have any of you visited an Arcade in recent memory and had a good experience?

Went a few times when they were based in Acton - we had a meet there, even - but haven't made the journey out since they relocated to Croydon. The death of Funland at the Trocadero was a catalyst for it both in terms of the open wound it left in the capital's gaming map, but also with the huge number of cabs (Vs City, Pony, Naomi DX sit-down etc stock) that were relocated to it. Mark's a passionate guy for sure and I applaud that, but I know he's also managed to tread on some toes and upset some folks who move in the same spaces. Some of this is attributable to weird internet beef that doesn't deserve any further air, but I do know some folks with more serious complaints that are pretty sour about the whole endeavour now as a result. I can't say I find myself in Croydon often enough to casually drop in, but I'm sure at some point I'll be there for one reason or another and would love to swing by and see it in its current home.

Not a criticism, but some other good arcade exploits have been documented over in this thread. Tying in with your suggestion of recent arcade-going though, I'd actually meant to update after I finally made it out to Freeplay City last September, and never did. It's another example of how the best 'arcades' in the country are now DIY efforts propped up by enthusiasts and catering to a regular crowd that willingly comes out to keep specific communities alive. In this case once again it's the usual suspects - the rhythm gamers and fighting game community - who are propping this place up. Some quick rubbish pics I took:

(more pics here)

In terms of vibe it is very much all about the games; it is very much off the beaten path in a warehouse, and isn't doing much to avoid it looking like a warehouse. The advantages to that are that once you're paid up and in, it is quite spacious and does feel like a space for people to actually play rather than somewhere that sees you as a customer that needs to be bled dry for credits. Take a look around the edges and you'll see upcoming projects too, which is nice for nosy cab nerds (hello).

Also FWIW I loved the bar on the corner next to the industrial estate it's sat on, New River Studios. Killer vibe, excellent tunes on, and generally just a lovely little spot to sit outside on a quiet street corner on with a view of some grass. Works great as a spot to decompress between the games and the hike to the nearest tube.

Also made it out now to the new site of VEGA London in November. This is even more laser-focused on the rhythm game crowd, and is essentially operated as a Bemani speakeasy in the basement of a 'normie' arcade just off Russell Square. First time I went with friends we were bitterly disappointed, finding only the two DDR machines in the bit upstairs, before later finding out that we were meant to have asked staff to usher us through the locked doors at the back, into the lower levels. It sounds like a joke: it is not. Very niche, but very cool and right in the heart of the city.​

Comment

Where do people park when you go? I see a dozen places in Croydon. Is there anywhere with a good balance of easy to reach? Probs coming from the direction of IKEA, as that's the main reason we're going.

Comment

Hi fuse

That's really interesting about Vega. I went to their old site, where they were in the basement of a place that just did gambling machines up top. Had fun there but felt hamstrung by a lack of Bemani card.

I had no idea they had moved into the Brunswick Centre and will deffo go and check it out. Do they do Bemani cards and if not where the hell do you get one?!

Freeplay City looks cool too but I'm not at all a fighting game guy. Love rhythm games though but Vega might tick the box on that, so will give that a go first. Great tip on how to actually get in there, I'd never have figured that out on my own.

Is that pinball/Bemani focused coffee shop near you still trucking as well? Can't remember its name.

Great impressions of the new HOG Wools . I feel bad I've never gone there, as it's not even that far from me. Really need to go and check it out soon. I think the shop you mention is Game Focus? That's a cool little place.

I'm going to give my obligatory shoutout to my local, Four Quarters in Peckham. There's a branch in Elephant and Castle too. It's very much a barcade rather than somewhere solely focused on games, but they have some cool stuff. Cleared Time Crisis 2 plenty of times in the Peckham branch and they've got Lucky & Wild in the Elephant one, which is particularly enjoyable after a sherbet (or five).

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          Went a few times when they were based in Acton - we had a meet there, even - but haven't made the journey out since they relocated to Croydon. The death of Funland at the Trocadero was a catalyst for it both in terms of the open wound it left in the capital's gaming map, but also with the huge number of cabs (Vs City, Pony, Naomi DX sit-down etc stock) that were relocated to it. Mark's a passionate guy for sure and I applaud that, but I know he's also managed to tread on some toes and upset some folks who move in the same spaces. Some of this is attributable to weird internet beef that doesn't deserve any further air, but I do know some folks with more serious complaints that are pretty sour about the whole endeavour now as a result. I can't say I find myself in Croydon often enough to casually drop in, but I'm sure at some point I'll be there for one reason or another and would love to swing by and see it in its current home.

Not a criticism, but some other good arcade exploits have been documented over in this thread. Tying in with your suggestion of recent arcade-going though, I'd actually meant to update after I finally made it out to Freeplay City last September, and never did. It's another example of how the best 'arcades' in the country are now DIY efforts propped up by enthusiasts and catering to a regular crowd that willingly comes out to keep specific communities alive. In this case once again it's the usual suspects - the rhythm gamers and fighting game community - who are propping this place up.​

Some nice pictures and a good write up fuse If a Mod like Neon Ignition wants to merge this thread into the Arcade thread, feel free.

Didn't know about the weird beef between all these Arcades, reminds me of Peter Kay's Ice Cream Man Commeth episode! Thanks for the recommendation for FreePlay City. I loved Heart of Gaming so much, I'm very much interested in going to another and FreePlay looks great.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Where do people park when you go? I see a dozen places in Croydon. Is there anywhere with a good balance of easy to reach? Probs coming from the direction of IKEA, as that's the main reason we're going.
          I parked in the nearby Shopping Centre Centrale Car Park. Got lunch in the Starbucks inside, then had a 5 minute or so walk there, very easy!​

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Great impressions of the new HOG Wools . I feel bad I've never gone there, as it's not even that far from me. Really need to go and check it out soon. I think the shop you mention is Game Focus? That's a cool little place.

I'm going to give my obligatory shoutout to my local, Four Quarters in Peckham. There's a branch in Elephant and Castle too. It's very much a barcade rather than somewhere solely focused on games, but they have some cool stuff. Cleared Time Crisis 2 plenty of times in the Peckham branch and they've got Lucky & Wild in the Elephant one, which is particularly enjoyable after a sherbet (or five).
          You should take a look if Heart of Gaming is close by to you, I would be popping in every other weekend. So jelly! It feels so special seeing so many 90's classics in such good condition and still playing well. Good question, I just took a look online and I think the retro gaming shop next door is called PlayNation Games?

Thanks, I'll add Four Quarters to my list! How big is the venue, got a nice selection of games?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            I'm neither a parking nor a Croydon IKEA expert, but as I understand it you want the Whitgift Centre.

Hi fuse

That's really interesting about Vega. I went to their old site, where they were in the basement of a place that just did gambling machines up top. Had fun there but felt hamstrung by a lack of Bemani card.

I had no idea they had moved into the Brunswick Centre and will deffo go and check it out. Do they do Bemani cards and if not where the hell do you get one?!
            Yeah the old site in Angel was pretty close to my office; dunno if you ever had to use the back entrance meant for staff to get down there (they would often lock the door to the basement as it wasn't uncommon for the young team to come by and trash the pool table), but if so it's good prep for the new site! I'm not positive if they actually have shiny new IC cards, but they did definitely have Paseli vouchers for topping them up. I'll try and do some digging on discord to see if anyone knows for sure what they do / don't have.

Is that pinball/Bemani focused coffee shop near you still trucking as well? Can't remember its name.
            Chief Coffee! I've not stopped by for a little while, but last I saw they were doing good. If you're ever in Chiswick for whatever reason it's well worth stopping in, and nicely suited for non-dorks too. Worth noting: they've sometimes had IC cards now I think about it (NESiCA at least), but most of the machines are geared up to take 100 yen coins. There is a change machine that will provide them in exchange for UK notes, but I've also been there when said change machine is broken... if you have any of your own for whatever reason bring them.

Comment

Wools

PlayNation Games, that's it...dunno what I was thinking saying Game Focus, that was an import/retro shop off TCR that shut down donkey's years agos.

Regarding the two Four Quarters branches, they're great, but they're small, and the fact that they take regular punishment from people who've had a few bevvies means the nick of the machines isn't always primo. I will have to look in and remind myself of the current machine loadout and will update you, if that helps to work out if it's worth making the trip.

I did used to go to Four Quarters absolutely all the time but not been in in a while. They used to hold mini raves right in the bar late on weekend nights, was quite an experience jigging about to house and drum and bass while surrounded by arcade machines. I will say that GunCons make an excellent rave prop for a boogie break during the cutscenes on Time Crisis 2!

fuse

I didn't have to use the back entrance to Vega, but we did spend a while wandering confused among the fruit machines until we found the staircase! We were the only ones in the bemani dungeon downstairs which was pretty cool, actually.

If you do get a chance to find out if they do IC cards that would be cool, it's always devilishly hard to get hold of the bloody things...I've had the same problem trying to source Initial D cards to use at Las Vegas (there's another one for you Wools, if you find yourself in Soho...gambling machines upstairs but some fun cabs in the basement).

Will def check out Chief Coffee at some point, I am sometimes over that way to visit my partner's brother or go to the football with my Dad.

I don't have any 100 yen coins sadly, got ****loads of American quarters though as that's what Four Quarters use for tokens. I always buy too many!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                Also FWIW I loved the bar on the corner next to the industrial estate it's sat on, New River Studios. Killer vibe, excellent tunes on, and generally just a lovely little spot to sit outside on a quiet street corner on with a view of some grass. Works great as a spot to decompress between the games and the hike to the nearest tube.
                QFT. I’ve often said New River Studios is the best bar in London that nobody knows about… apart from those that know it! Definitely makes a trip to FreePlayCity a well worth it, especially as FPC now closes ridiculously early on a Saturday.

Wools I’m sure it must’ve already been said, but if you think HoG is great then Arcade Club Bury will absolutely blow your mind. Plan a trip up there for a weekend, Friday through to Sunday. Three days of solid gaming and you’ll still barely scratch the surface of what they’ve got up there.

Comment

Working...
                X