Resident Evil: Code Veronica Dreamcast VGA question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil: Code Veronica Dreamcast VGA question

I ordered a VGA cable for my Dreamcast which turned up today, so I set about hooking the DC up to my plasma TV to give a few games a whirl. After trying a few games I popped in RE: Code Veronica only to be greeted by the "this game does not support the audio visual cable you are currently using," message.

I was surprised as I was sure RE: CV was VGA compatible, but I checked the back of the case and there was no VGA logo Then I started looking around on the net and found several sites that say the game IS VGA compatible!

Most of the sites were American so I would guess they must have been talking about the NTSC/U release of the game. Is the American release of RE: CV VGA compatible? And if so, why on earth would Capcom have made the NTSC release VGA compatible but not the PAL release??? Cheers in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me

Yeah, for some reason some developers (or as I suspect, some version of the Sega's Dreamcast development libraries) dropped VGA support in PAL games to allow for RGB cable support (i.e your scart).

The other big title I can think of that has this issue is Skies of Arcadia.

The reason I think it's the devco or the libs they were using is because late titles like Shenmue II and Headhunter support RGB and VGA.

Anyway, how about a solution? I believe with some titles you can do a cable swap or if your VGA box has one, use the s-video/composite switch to get the game up and running and then switch it to VGA whilst booting. Never tried it myself.
    Last edited by gunrock; 29-11-2006, 12:32.

Comment

Cheers for the info. I'm too lazy for swapping cables about so I'll probably just scour eBay for an American copy to buy

Comment

By the way, are the PAL versions of Resident Evil 2 and 3 the same? Or do they have VGA support? Cheers.

Comment

No idea, sorry. I've only played Resi 1 and 2 on the Playstation.

Comment

Originally posted by HumanEnergy
            By the way, are the PAL versions of Resident Evil 2 and 3 the same? Or do they have VGA support? Cheers.
            yep,

they both have VGA support.

Comment

That's great, thanks. No need to search around for US versions!

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock
                Yeah, for some reason some developers (or as I suspect, some version of the Sega's Dreamcast development libraries) dropped VGA support in PAL games to allow for RGB cable support (i.e your scart).

The other big title I can think of that has this issue is Skies of Arcadia.

The reason I think it's the devco or the libs they were using is because late titles like Shenmue II and Headhunter support RGB and VGA.

Anyway, how about a solution? I believe with some titles you can do a cable swap or if your VGA box has one, use the s-video/composite switch to get the game up and running and then switch it to VGA whilst booting. Never tried it myself.
                I was actually because VGA is 60hz, and that would have meant the games required retiming. You'll notice both Skies of Arcadia and RE:CV are 50hz optimised titles in Europe, sadly as they didn't have the guts to do 60hz only back then, it meant we lost the 60hz mode entirely. Deadly Skies is another such game.
                Last edited by MikeRox; 01-12-2006, 13:54.

Comment

Working...
                X