How much have you lost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much have you lost?

I know talking cash money is a little vulgar, and i fully accept that in buying and selling vintage videogames loosing money is par the course, but what the largest amount of money you've lost selling off your bits and bobs? Rarely (never even) do i make a profit on anything i sell Couple of recent examples lost ?50 on a dc game and ?75 on a psx game:-|no names to spare my blushes

I honestly don't think I've ever lost more than a couple of quid max on anything I've sold - I'm a cheapskate at the best of times and am usually happy to wait for the bargains.
    I only really sell stuff if it's a dupe or if I find unmissable bargains in the wild ...

Comment

My middle names 'mug' im renouned for buying high,selling low methinks i need to get a little more savvey. I always seem to need some quick cash for something else though.

Comment

lot a fair bit i reckon

but have done alright on the older systems i collected for

wrt the Neo some games tripled in value and 2 quadrupled but some lost a lot

ie/ Samurai Spirits was around ?145 new i think from Dream machines 2 (old name for VGI) and i sold it for ?22, but i owned it for around 10 years

Might have even been over ?170, but i'm sure it was ?145

i reckon i do alright, nowadays i always buy from good sources who keep me good and 2 guys have really helped me alot with nice stuff

Lurch996 (PSone) and Son_of_bael (Saturn)

DVD's is where the most money is lost nowadays

Comment

had 3 immaculate copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Sold one for 200 pounds. The second I kept and the 3rd only went for 80 on ebay.

Comment

I bought Animal Crossing (NTSC-U) and Freeloader 1.6b for ?65 from Goblin Games, about two years ago.

I sold it last week on eBay for under a tenner, and got rid of freeloader on these forums for a fiver. Take away listing, final value and paypal fees, and I lost around ?55.

Never again. I'm fully committed to the wait-until-it's-a-bargain club now.

Comment

was that the "right-before-animal-crossing-was-released-in-the-uk and goin for stupid amounts of money" time?

Comment

I physically lost some nice Hucards including Splatterhouse, Jackie Chan & some others............filled the boxes back up when they invented broadband lol.

As for money dunno, buying retail Dreamcast games and now unable to sell them now for ?3 a piece is pretty harrowing haha.

Comment

am interested in finding out these 2 games you lost out on

just means i wont bother trying to sell mine - if i have them

or snap them up quickly

Comment

Im trying to turn things around by buying better quality items & Ntsc-uk has taught me a lot about whats what ,to be fair the dc game i lost on i bought before i knew the 'real' value of and the psx game was lost a lot of value after it was re-issued recently.Some of guys here with quality collections i admire have changed my attuide towards buying & selling*waves at buster,wheelaa &kubrick*

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
                      am interested in finding out these 2 games you lost out on

just means i wont bother trying to sell mine - if i have them

or snap them up quickly
                      tenchi a paid ?100 for from vgi *blushes* and marvel vs capcom 2 (pal) ?60 before i joined here *blushes again*

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel
                        was that the "right-before-animal-crossing-was-released-in-the-uk and goin for stupid amounts of money" time?
                        Fortunately, it was almost a year before, IIRC.

The worst thing was, I played the game for about 6-7 hours, got bored with the level of commitment it demands, and never touched it again.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
                          tenchi a paid ?100 for from vgi *blushes* and marvel vs capcom 2 (pal) ?60 before i joined here *blushes again*
                          Personally i wouldnt have sold it matey

even though Capcom have issued a re-release, that hasnt affected the copy you have

especially since it sold out and you cant get it anywhere, which means the value in that has also risen

i think i paid a really low amount for my Tenchi, the Saturn one cost me a fair bit after Wheelaa recommended it (Ta!) but still not as much as UK importers

but if you think they were worth it and you got some seriously play-age (new word alert) then its not so bad </looks for the silver lining>

Comment

As i said before, something else always comes up that i need quick cash for,got my eye on something very nice still Big seanys happy

Comment

I can't recall many indervidual games I have lost money when selling but my collection always brought the shivers on!

I had probally around one hundred rare, collectable or expensive items in my collection and when I sold the lot off this past year and a half I must of lost over a thousand on actual value. Everything from Samba, Rez, KOF, Ikaruga and so many others they were selling at such low prices.

The Neo Geo AES stuff was the worst through. KOF '98 going for ?30?

I'm glad I'm out of the collecting scene now, it's really not worth it if it's soley for collecting purpourses. It's much better just to enjoy playing the retro stuff, but I'm allowed a few personal items in my collection.

Comment

Working...
                              X