PC engine AV question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC engine AV question

I have two PCE core Grafx consoles and noticed that they have slightly different AV outputs. Can anyone tell me why they are different?

I'd say those are very different AV outputs...

Are they both type I's (the top one is, but the bottom one)? If I recall correctly, the Core Grafx II had a few very minor changes made. I'd have to go look it up though...

Comment

Originally posted by Swaain View Post
      I'd say those are very different AV outputs...

Are they both type I's (the top one is, but the bottom one)? If I recall correctly, the Core Grafx II had a few very minor changes made. I'd have to go look it up though...
      Yes they are both type I's

Comment

RGB conversion on the lower one?
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Looks like the bottom one has been modified with possibly an RGB output via an eight pin DIN socket. The Core Grafx I and II differ only in colour IIRC ie the blue and orange logos. (and the pad was autofire on the II?)

This is how I did mine:

Last edited by Max P.; 11-01-2007, 14:08.

Comment

I guess it could be an RGB mod. I know it's been opened before because it has normal screws instead of the standard security ones.

When I opened it nothing looked out of place but then again i'm not an expert. What should I be looking for?
            Last edited by lurch996; 11-01-2007, 14:16.

Comment

A lot of obvious extra wires soldered as in the link I posted above!

Comment

Originally posted by Max P. View Post
                A lot of obvious extra wires soldered as in the link I posted above!
                Those pictures weren't in that thread when I looked before but anyway there are no extra wires or anything so I guess its not modded...

Comment

Oh, strange - you can take the signals off the rear expansion part of the board but there should obviously still be some extra wires. Can you post a pic?
                  Last edited by Max P.; 11-01-2007, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Max P. View Post
                    Oh, strange - you can take the signals off the rear expansion part of the board but there should obviously still be some extra wires. Can you post a pic?
                    Heres some pics

I can't see any wires anywhere. There are some white stickers by the AV port. Maybe it was an attempt at a mod?

Comment

You're right, curious...

At least it should be easy to wire it up to RGB now the DIN socket is there. You will just need someone to build a small amplification circuit to boost the output. (PC Engine output is usable without it but usually a bit too dark) - mine is in the Scart plug of the connecting lead as outlined in the link.

Comment

Its probably come like that from the factory, just a variation maybe they had a sale on 8 pin PCB sockets or something.

You'll notice that the 5 pin socket, all pins are present on the 8 pin socket. So you can use a 5 pin AV cable with either units if they are wired up to the same pinout (which I presume they are).

Its like that with Commodore 64s etc, you get ones with 5 pin sockets and ones with 8 pin sockets. I only use 5 pin plugs for the scart cables for the C64 since then it works with both models.

Comment

Working...
                        X