Last Blade 1 & 2 NeoGeo CD questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Blade 1 & 2 NeoGeo CD questions

I'm thinking about purchasing Last Blade 1 & 2 for my NeoGeo CD console - I own the PS2 collection, and I really really love the games, especially the first one. The problem is : I don't seem to find reliable information about the loading times, as some reviewers seem to think they are horrendous while the author of the Last Blade feature on HG101 seems to think they are tolerable, especially in the second game. He even states the CD games are the "definitive versions"...

What are your (subjective) experiences with loading times on these games? Are they very intrusive? Do they break the flow of the game? What's the difference between LB 1 & 2?

And : is the purchase I'm planning a reasonable one, considering I already own the PS2 version?

Thanks!

Haven't played the CD versions, but it's my understanding that they can take up to a minute to load each fight, which IMO, would be intolerable.

Comment

LB2 load times
      The Neo Geo CD game loading times are calculated from the moment the game screen says "Loading" until the Loading Screen disappears. For additional support

LB1 loading times
      Last Blade / 1997 / SNK for Neo Geo CD: Graphics, Gameplay, Music, Sound, Ratings, Loading Times, Info

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

@ Wheelaa : thanks for the references; I knew the listing for LB2 but not for LB1. It's very useful information, but I find this info strangely at odds with the findings of David DeRienzo in his HG101 feature - according to him, LB2 loads much quicker than LB1, which is something your links clearly disprove. So I don't know what to think now...

Anybody played this? How's it feel to wait for the next fight / stage to load?

BTW : http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.c.../lastblade.htm

Comment

Ive got them both for my Neo CD, and I still think they are worth getting if you own a Neo CD, but for collection purposes only.

Gameplay wise, they do take a long time to load even with the intros switched off, something even I could not put up with after a few games.

I think the best way to play these games and do them justice is still on either MVS or AES depending on what you can afford.

Comment

I know awakened Kaede is his own character now because of the obvious animation loading.

normal and 'blue cheese' korigama ? is also the same I believe.

awful load times also

Comment

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
              I think the best way to play these games and do them justice is still on either MVS or AES depending on what you can afford.
              This is the reply I feared I'd get, to be honest, but thanks for pointing this out. Quick question though : if you disable the intros, does it also get rid of the outros and the "pre level posing"?

Comment

if you're hacking down the game that much to get speed increases during loading

you might as well not hack it down at all, get the MVS version. its probably the same price if not cheaper than the CD ones as they are pretty hard to find in nice condition.

up to you though, I have a NGCD too and can only stomach the games that load into the 56mbits (mainly), but that still leaves a hella lot of games. I must dig mine out to play viewpoint again one day as I can't be bothered to pay the price it commands on MVS.

Comment

Yeah I fear you might be right. I think I'll stick with the PS2 version for now and buy an MVS / AES version down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaain View Post
                    This is the reply I feared I'd get, to be honest, but thanks for pointing this out. Quick question though : if you disable the intros, does it also get rid of the outros and the "pre level posing"?

To be honest mate, I forget now..all I know is its slow.

Don't get me wrong I love the Neo CD, but these bigger meg count games really suffer Only get them if you collect Neo Geo CD titles is my advice.

Comment

Yeah, Last Blade 1 is just about tolerable (on my CDZ anyway). Last Blade 2 you might as well read a novel between loads.

Comment

Working...
                      X