Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the ultimate Dreamcast swan song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would be the ultimate Dreamcast swan song?

This is a kind of "what if..." thread. Next year the Dreamcast is ten years old (time flys, eh!) and I doubt after this year we'd get anything new, but what if Sega did something special for the Dreamcast's 10th anniversary, and gave it the send of it deserved?

What final games would you like to see, Naomi ports, or sequels to classic SEGA games, a proper 2D Sonic? Scud Race? NiGHTS II? Planet Harriers or maybe Jambo! Safari?

I was thinking how cool a final 10 releases would be in 2008, one for each year the Dreamcast existed. That's my idea of the perfect goodbye to the Dreamcast. At the end of the day a profit can still be made, so why not do it SEGA, a final goodbye?

Seemed like a cool idea for a thread to me anyway. Oh and don't say Shenmue III, that's beyond never happening!

---------

Anyway, I'd love to see 10 final games, released monthly from Febuary to November 2008. One for each year. As the months go on, the games released get better and better.

01: Propeller Arena
    100% completed game, it has been leaked, but I for one would love to see it have a release. Sega could just remove Online from the menu and change the licensed music with some suitable SEGA music from their archives.
    02: The Maze of the Kings
    Not the best shooter, but another one would be good to see on the Dreamcast, my main gripe with the arcade version was the stupidly shaped gun, so I reckon a Dreamcast version would be better. Would be easy, cheap and fast to port I reckon since it's NAOMI.
    03: Sega Strike Fighter
    I've never played this, this is to really fill the one gap I had, but from the screengrabs on System16.com it seemed decent enough. Is it good?
    04: Jambo! Safari
    Fantastic game, I loved playing it in the arcade, I've wanted a home conversion for ****ing years!
    05: Planet Harriers
    A canned Dreamcast game I was looking forward to, as I love Space Harrier but never ever sadly played this in the arcade.
    06: Scud Race
    They started it, so why not finish it? Scud Race is ****ing immense, but I've only played it once, I can never find it, so SEGA, lemme play it when I want!
    07: Panzer Dragoon
    This was the last one I thought of, I needed to think of something special, Panzer Dragoon is ace, but never saw a Dreamcast game, perhaps a totally new game, or a remake of the first two? Either way, would be cool.
    08: Streets of Rage 4
    A true Streets of Rage sequel, keep it 2D and use the Dreamcast's power to draw some big gourgous sprites! Make the game utterly huge, and throw on the first three as unlockables for good measure. Yuzo Koshiro must make the new music too!
    09: Sonic & Knuckles 2
    Like Streets of Rage, a true sequel to the Mega Drive games, done in true MD style but using the Dreamcasts power it could have amazing sprites and level design. If this done in a Sonic CD style too in regards to music and "classic Sonic" anime style FMV (like the Sonic CD intro) between stages it would be really ****ing cool.
    10: NiGHTS II
    Get Yuji Naka back just to do this, Yuji Naka loved the Dreamcast, and this would be the perfect sending off. A remake of the original with gorgous VGA graphics, with the odd new stage added for good measure? It would sell a **** load, even for a dead console!

Your turn guys.

Outrun 2 coast to coast. Make it happen Sol if we can choose non Sega games then ive always been disapointed theres no Metal slugs on the Dc, so Metal slug too

Comment

Dude - I think your sentiments rock - but we a'int going to see any Sega produced games for the Dreamcast. The only thing I can see coming the DC's way are shooters or at a stretch a doujin-y fighter.

Personally I would like to see a Japanese developed horizontal shooter, perhaps a sequel to Border Down or summat. Just something better than Last Hope.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
        Outrun 2 coast to coast. Make it happen Sol if we can choose non Sega games then ive always been disapointed theres no Metal slugs on the Dc, so Metal slug too
        Aye, I just thought of a bunch of third party games, I'd perhaps replace Sega Strike Fighter with a Metal Slug collection. They may be on XBOX, PS2 and PSP, but it would feel more right on the DC, with it's stick!

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
        Dude - I think your sentiments rock - but we a'int going to see any Sega produced games for the Dreamcast. The only thing I can see coming the DC's way are shooters or at a stretch a doujin-y fighter.
        Aye I know it'll never hapen, infact there's more chance of me spunking on Britney Speaers bald head.... But it doesn't hurt to dream. Well it does actually...

Comment

It always infuriated me (and still does) that when Sega became a multiformat developer the only format they didnt develop for is there own! Fair enough pulling out of the hardware market but support your baby ffs!

Comment

That's obvious - Shenmue III

Comment

I demand that Planet Harriers conversion that Sega promised me all those years ago.

Comment

Alex The Man... because he's probably aged now.

Sorry...

Comment

I'd like it if nintendo made an exclusive game for the dreamcast. Sega had to swallow their pride and make games for nintendo consoles so being able to see an exclusive and offical nintendo game on the dreamcast would be amazing. I wouldn't even care if it wasn't that great. A DC exclusice picross game or something would be just dandy.
                  Ultimately though, how about a brand new 2D revamped remake of warioland 2 complete with super optimised DC graphics and everything.

Comment

I think a proper Sonic 4 (2D) personally would be lovely.

Though I'd just be perfectly happy with any 2D platform game or whatever, would just be nice for the DC to get a non shooting game as a bye bye.

Comment

Hmmm, I don't care about Propeller Arena anymore, that one is already available in 'certain' circles. What I would want to see is not only Jumbo Safari, but their complete trilogy, as it was promised: Jumbo Safari + that firemen game (can't remember the title) + Emergency Call Ambulance.
                      Also a compilation of Scud Race + Touring Cars (a proper conversion) and maybe Daytona 2/ Le Mans 24 Hours.

I can't help but think that Planet Harrier was abandoned so a similar game (read: Gun Valkyrie) could be finished.

Comment

what games have been released on the naomi arcade board?

Comment

Aw, JSR 2 would be lovely

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                            what games have been released on the naomi arcade board?
                            NAOMI
                            NAOMI GD-ROM
                            NAOMI 2
                            NAOMI 2 GD-ROM

All other SEGA Arcade boards listed here, Model 3 conversions aren't too hard I guess, VF3 and Sega Rally 2 were Model 3, as is Scud Race which SEGA ported for a tech demo. Naomi 2 as far as I know is similar to NAOMI, just has more memory, I think.

Comment

Fighters Megamix 2, along with the original roster add Last Bronx, Jet Set Radio, Ryo Hazuki, Lan Di etc

Comment

Working...
                              X