NTSC-J N64 stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTSC-J N64 stuff

Been thinking of buying a Japanese N64 as they're fairly cheap on Playasia but what decent Japan only stuff is there?
    Not bothered about the likes of Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye as I have those and can get them on the Virtual Console.

Is Bangaioh worth getting if I already own the DC one? I take it Sin and Punishment is a must. Anything else that really stands out?

I'm presuming you know that you can just remove the tabs inside the cartridge slot on a american or japanese n64 and play either region's games on one unit. Unless your other N64 stuff is PAL.

I'm just branching out into all the unique Jap fluff so others that have actually played all of it will give you a better opinion.

Purely aesthetically there are the large pack in version of some games which are very nice. Normal games boxes usually look much better than their PAL or US equivalents and are much stronger with a tough plastic tray instead of floppy cardboard.
    Last edited by Bort; 27-02-2007, 20:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
      I'm presuming you know that you can just remove the tabs inside the cartridge slot on a american or japanese n64 and play either region's games on one unit. Unless your other N64 stuff is PAL.
      TBH I never really played it much. I was always a PSX guy and only bought a PAL 64 a few years back.
      So a JP console can play US games too? Is that mod hard to do?

Comment

Very easy, there are just two large tabs in the cartridge slot that you can either dremmel or melt off. If you are looking at the clear red/blue ones on PA then they can't be rgb modded (90% sure on that).

Edit,
        Not to clog up this thread as I'd also like to hear the learned ones speak.

Japan game stock have loose units for 8.65£ - http://www.japangamestock.com/buy_vi...oducts_id=6692
        Boxed pokemon units for 20£ as well. I think pretty much all normal JPN units can be rgb modded but don't quote me on that.

Second Edit,
        Your UK PAL PSU will work fine with a JPN/US unit
        Last edited by Bort; 27-02-2007, 20:24.

Comment

Off topic im afraid but is japangamestock a bit dodgy? Noticed there selling 48 in 1 gba multicarts and claiming they were original releases in japan. I pretty sure thats crap?

Comment

I've never had a problem with them. Just bought the Tare Panda WS boxset from them because Johnny Made me go look. Damn him!!

Comment

They're great. I've used JGS a lot already, and they always come through. Was puzzled about the gba carts as well though, but I'm no expert...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                Is Bangaioh worth getting if I already own the DC one? I take it Sin and Punishment is a must. Anything else that really stands out?
                Never really been able to get into Bangaioh enough to tell which version is better but I think I like the N64 controls better. There are some differences between them though if you want to justify having both.
                Yeah, definitely get Sin And Punishment though. It's spectacular.

Comment

I'm a sucker for 1080, Excitebike and Waverace.

Check out our N64 week in our Retrospective Features area for more recommendations.

The US/JPN mod is super easy. I used a stanley knife. Butcher!

Comment

Waverace has a rumble-pack version too, NTSC/J. Don't forget F-Zero, so cheap you'll probably find someone who'll pay you to have it NTSC version is stonking compared to PAL (but good in its own way) version.

Comment

@Commander Marklar:
                      What do you mean with "good in its own way"?
                      What are the differences exactly?

Comment

Working...
                      X