Advice on Neo Geo AES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Neo Geo AES

A retro gaming mate of mine is about to hit Akihabara in a couple of weeks and has asked if theres anything I want him to pick up. Naturally some hardware is in order as theres no filthy shipping or tax on it so I've decided it's finally time for a Neo Geo AES to set up shop in my entertainment cabinet. I'm pretty new to the AES scene and apart from some basic knowledge, such as try to get a unit with a serial under 100,000 and runs on 9v (for easy Megadrive PSU use), I'm not too knowledgeable.

So far I'm looking at a console, two sticks, memory card, and a King of Fighters game (either '97 or '98). Using Super Potato's website as a guide (I know they are not the cheapest but it's the best way to get an approx on pricing in the area) it's looking about the $280-$320AUS (?110-?130) mark which I don't mind going up on for additional loot. So lads, help a fellow ntsc-uk forumite out with any advice or recommendations. Cheers!

My advice is to get a Supergun, and an MVS board or a consolised MVS. It's more initially, but MVS games are way cheaper and you get more choice too.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

My advice is get KOF98 and Samurai Shodown 2, probably two of the best games ever made in the history of video games.

Comment

Originally posted by BluntX View Post
        try to get a unit with a serial under 100,000 and runs on 9v (for easy Megadrive PSU use), I'm not too knowledgeable.
        Early models are 5v

Comment

Get an old Neo indeed, I have a language modded machine in the 50000 range and it has superb RGB output as well as great sound. I have no memorycard yet but I doubt if I want it. All it does is saving progress (I believe it does not save highscores) while I want to beat those arcade games in one go.

As for games: Ditch '97, its useless with the sublime KoF 98 being around. They are the 2 most similar KOF's, but with '98 rocking it in about every possible way. Instead, get Fatal Fury 3 which is my personal favorite.

For the cheap as dirt but good games, I recommend FF Special, SamSho 2, Burning Fight, Sidekicks 2. Thats also more genres than just 1 v 1 fighting.

Comment

I know '98 is the better game but I still like '97 for sentimental reasons (was the first KOF I really got into and learned). The only gameplay advantage it has over '98 is the inclusion of Blood Riot Iori and Leona.

SS2 is like a tenner so will definetly get that. Apart from fighters, any good puzzle or shooter suggestions that aren't a total kick in the wallet and danglies?

Comment

Yeah, Riot Iori is cool but regardless I dumped the game. I hated its backgrounds and music.. and KOF 98 is _that_ good. Since I got 98 last Feb, no other Neo game entered my system

I think Shooters and puzzle games will cost ya. The definite puzzle game is Puzzle bobble imo, but I got no clue on the average price. In terms of shooters, I really like Last Resort and I think this is one of the cheaper ones (about 50 quid?). Aero Fighters 2 is great too, and should be about the same price. Ofcourse I know Blazing Star and Pulstar are probably better.. but they are insanely expensive.

The cheapest is Alpha Mission 2, but its also pretty old school.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                I think Shooters and puzzle games will cost ya. The definite puzzle game is Puzzle bobble imo, but I got no clue on the average price.
                PB never got an AES release, though I did used to knock up conversions for around ?50.

Best puzzler on the Neo is Magical Drop 3. So much better than any other puzzler on any other system. EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfamifreak View Post
                  Best puzzler on the Neo is Magical Drop 3
                  Apart from Puzzle Bobble 2, and Gapporin.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                  X