Vectrex and a few others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vectrex and a few others

I'm a fairly new collector of retro computers an consoles. My collection began on a fateful night down the pub discussing the magic of the ZX Spectrum 48k and all its rubber goodness. The following morning I awoke bleary eyed confused, 50 quid lighter and the proud owner of 3 spectrums from ebay...

Anyway since then I've picked up a few machines

NES
    SNES
    N64
    Gamecube
    Jaguar
    Dreamcast
    Megadrive

Now I'm starting to want to add a few less common machines to the collection, however the prices on e-bay seem a bit steep. My current fixation (other than wanting a copy of MB Dark Tower) is a Vectrex and wanting to complete my sinclair collection (QL, ZX81, ZX80, +2 and +3 possilby a SAM Coupe). Where would you hardened collectors shop for such bits and bobs give that ebay is not the way forward.

All advice welcome, other than where I should get off...

Carboot season is almost upon us, so that would be a good place to start, also might be worth checking out second hand shops and bric a brac stalls at your local second hand market or whatever. Sadly however, a larger awareness of Ebay has also pushed alot of the prices on stalls like these through the roof and a fair few seem to think Ebay is the starting price for goods and like to add a few more quid on top.

A good example I can think of being one carboot guy insisting £30 for an unboxed mega drive with Sonic 1 was a bargain because it cost £129.99 new. That and also symphony of the night I've seen with a £150 price tag on it before o_O There are still bargains out there to be had though for those willing to persevere.

It could also be worth plonking a wanted thread on this very forum as I know I myself have quite alot of retro stuff that I cant be arsed to sell properly but would really like to shift on.

Comment

If you're wanting Vectrex stuff... then you have this to aspire to heh...

Seriously though, I've never seen any Veccy stuff at car boots, flea markets, second hand shops etc. Everything I have has either been through private sales or auctions (not just eBay). You may have to rely on eBay here or find someone selling one nearby (I'd fully recommend picking one up in person so you can test it, AND not run the risk of Royal ****up or Parcelfarce damaging it).

I've found one Vectrex in a games shop, price was okay (£50) but sadly it had issues so I didn't buy it.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

My local GS has a boxed one for a rather daft £110.

Comment

If the box is in good condition, and complete with manual, overlay for Minestorm and the console guide, that's about going rate.

Comment

Mayhem that vectex collections insane.

You have the 3D imager too (speechless)

I dread to think how much money is sat on those shelves seeing as it looks minty (^_^)

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              If the box is in good condition, and complete with manual, overlay for Minestorm and the console guide, that's about going rate.
              Nah, the box is fairly scuffed up.

Comment

My experience has been that Carboot sales and the like aren't great for nice quality boxed items. Consoles are unboxed/incomplete more often than not, which is fine if you're just getting started and want a cheap system to have a look at and explore, but frustrating if you're looking for a nice example. If you were lucky enough to find a vectrex at one, i wouldn't expect it to be in a box or in very good condition.

Smegaman's right about the prices, People will look at the price for a perfect mint boxed console on ebay, and optimistically consider that the going rate for their boxless worn and scratched 'junk' console.

I would have thought some of the sinclair bits you're after would be reasonably easy to come across, the +2 and +3 you should be able to pick up on ebay with little fuss for a very reasonable amount.

Comment

@Importaku - I got lucky on many of the titles, there was a guy down in Worthing selling about 12 mint completes last year which I grabbed fairly cheaply (about £10 each). Actually drove down to collect them, didn't trust Parcelfarce heh. My great aunt only lives a few miles from him so I went to visit her afterwards as I hadn't seen her in a couple of years

*whisper* I actually own two 3D Imagers btw...! The other one is loose and not in the shot *whisper*

@Anagrama - I'd subtract about 20 then on the price, loose ones have dropped a bit but still command £50-75 each.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    @Anagrama - I'd subtract about 20 then on the price, loose ones have dropped a bit but still command ?50-75 each.
                    Yeah, that's about what I figured. I was tempted, but had seen similar boxed ones on eBay in the ?70ish range (though the postage will make any difference negligable).
                    I think a Vectrex & Colecovision are just about the only consoles I want but haven't got yet... one day...

Comment

Thanks for the input guys I shall go get on ebay ^^

Comment

Colecovisions are very difficult to come by in the UK. Not only are they very old and thus more liable to have broken or been thrown away, but they were also sold on a very limited basis here. They sold very well in the US though so you might want to try American ebay sellers.

Comment

I got a Vectrex pad once for a quid at a car boot... not bad...

The older stuff is becoming harder to find now.

Comment

Working...
                          X