Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luigi's Mansion - Discussion (April 2007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luigi's Mansion - Discussion (April 2007)

Not the Mario style game that everyone expected for the GameCube launch, but an interesting game in it's own right.

Let us know how you get on this month.

Ive been playing through this for a wee while and im well impressed with it. I'm ashamed to say I never touched it when it was first released.

For me its the little things that make this superb, the intro is just so simple yet conveys the entire plot of the game in about 20 seconds! The way luigi hums the theme tune while wandering around the mansion. The audio from the prof which sounds like some sort of japanese/star wars thing which always makes me smile.

The controls are easily one of the simplest methods Ive ever seen in a game and I pray that the DS gets a version using the stylus to control the vacuum!

Overall this game is a superb title which can usually be grabbed for under a tenner and thanks to the wii more people are hopefully going to experience this gem.

Oh and I hope a wee high score table will be updated when we all complete this

Comment

Well just got this down for a re: play and have mixed feelings on it.

The atmosphere is fantastic what with Luigi whistling his way through the mansion and ghosts constantly popping out of every roof / floor / object.

Despite it being done in most games nowadays, I really like the flashlight cone, it just somehow feels right. Also the controls are really intuitive for what is a fairly complex ghost catching procedure.

On the other hand though, the gameplay so far (10 boos in) is very repetitive and doesnt feel like a Miyamoto game at all to me (is it even done by him?) - certainly doesnt make me want to keep going through it or come back to it. Also the whole design and voice of the professor drives me nuts, I wish he wasnt in the game at all!

Still, Im sure I'll go back and have another plug at it in a week or two. Still havent gone back to Panzer Orta yet!

Comment

Picked this up again a couple of months ago so its still fresh in my memory. My girlfriend loved it on launch so we thought we'd play through it again. We finished it in a day but that's no disrespect. It was quite a long Sunday.
        I think it looks lovely, and Luigi is very endearing the way he gets scarederer when low on health. Anyway I'm sure I'll add some more thoughts once peeps remind me of things.

Comment

Well I played it through again over a period of 3-4 weeks with my son a couple of months back and it was an utterly joyous experience - Like Stakers alluded to above it's one of those games that whilst being distinctly single player is "inclusive" of others who may be spectating - Figuring out the puzzles (some aren't as straightforward as you'd expect), enjoying the dialogue and the ambience - It can suck in bystanders which to me is classic Nintendo.

People remarked at launch about how solid the graphics seemed and incredibly this still holds true even with all the next gen jiggery pokery we have today - Every scene has a solidity which few games can match - Partly I think due to the fixed perspective (no shaky polygons as you spin the camera).

I understand how a lot of people would've been put off by this as they'd be expecting Mario64-NEXT but to let that put you off is to miss a real gaming gem.

In this day & age where a lot of people complain that games are too long here is the perfect antithesis - A game which can be played in bite size chunks or hit hard for a few hours.

Also, if you're playing on a wii this game looks incredible via component !

If you played it way back when do yourself a favour and give it another whirl - If you never played it get it ASAP and remind yourself about all that's good in gaming !

The only downer I can think of is that there was maybe a bit *too* much backtracking through the mansion at times but there are shorcuts - You just need to find them

"Game Boy Horror"
          Last edited by Yoshimax; 03-04-2007, 08:43.

Comment

To all those who do play it through again. When you get to the room full of musical instruments, make sure you set them all off.

Comment

You don't just set them off man - you EXPERIMENT

Think combinations of instruments

Comment

i got this game with my cube

a intresting game not really a killer app but still good......also the fact the cube was not that expensive at launch so i thought why not

i thought it was cool that when you used the hoover there was a real feel of resisitance as you tried to fight the ghosts

Comment

Fired this up last night.

I found this to be more enjoyable than the first time around. Perhaps because I've been feeling a little jaded for a while; it's unalloyed simplicity is immediately refreshing.

I agree with Yoshimax's comment about the 'solidity' of the graphics; heavily stylised but perfect for the game. The little effects and animations are also noteworthy: puffs of dust, the stretching effect when things are sucked into the Poltergust; and the way Luigi heaves with effort or taps with his torch when he's searching furniture. The audio is also a delight.

Also, after playing nothing but PS3 for the last few weeks it was weird having feeling the rumble again.

Comment

Loved this game.

It was great, novel - but too short. I have been hoping for a sequel to this but it looks unlikely. Think what fun you could have on the Wii's controller with a title like this!

Comment

Whilst not a typical launch game it didn't stop me from enjoying it immensely on launch, not played it since and didn't ever do the mirror mode.

Comment

I finished this last night (I only play it for an hour or so and not every night either). I enjoyed it from start to finish except for the more stubborn Boos - very annoying.

Comment

Fired this up yesterday and played up to about halfway through the 3rd area. I love it, has a great feel to it and so much charm.

I also like that I think I can get through it in 2 play sessions, as I'm moving soon and not taking my consoles and have a backlog of games

Comment

thanks for this section, you guys made me dig it out a couple of days ago, id forgotten how good it was, i hope nintendo make a sequal, or a remate with new levels would be ace

Comment

Well I borrowed this from work the other day and just got round to playing it for a few hours today, pleased to say I was very impressed! I remember getting this when I got my Gamecube but didn't really pay it much attention to it at all, shame on me!

I don't remember the game looking this good or playing this well before, I was totally shocked when I fired it up again on the old Gamecube. It doesn't look dated at all infact it looks better than some of the so called "next gen" games that are available at the moment. Looks aside gameplay wise it has so much going for it, it oozes the trademark Nintendo charm. I actually like it so much that I think I am going to make it a purchase

Comment

Working...
                              X