Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Megadrive 2 'buzzy' power pack question +...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megadrive 2 'buzzy' power pack question +...

I just got hold of a Megadrive 2 from Cash Generator for a fiver. Everything plays OK, but I have one question:

Is the MD2 power pack supposed to make a quiet yet noticeable 'buzzing' sound when plugged in? Or should I expecting a spot of electric death any moment now?

Another thing is, when I tested a few games (Shadow Dancer, S.O.R.2), the bass sounds in the in-game music are very deep and fuzzy-crunchy (too deep), especially in Streets Of Rage 2.

Weird thing is, I've had another (without leads) MD2 sitting around gathering dust since 2001 and when I tried Streets Of Rage 2 on that, the bass sounded 'normal' like it does on my MD1.

Strange.
    Last edited by JazzFunk; 06-04-2007, 19:45.

No its not really supposed to make that sort of noise allthough I have come across one that did.. could be a bad transformer thats on its way out..

Comment

It's weird, it buzzes then stops buzzing for periods of time, then starts again. It's not a major thing, I just get paranoid that it's going to explode and set my room on fire.

I checked the undersides of my MD2's. The 'good' one is made in Malaysia. The one with the monstrous,phlegmy bass in some games is made in China.

Comment

I had the same problem with my MD2. Any sort of explosion or fire based sound effect would have a bassy crackle blurt out of my tv at full volume. No answers to what it could be im afraid, im just resigned to the fact i cant play anything remotely interesting on it late at night due to the equation:

interesting on MD= explosions&fire

i jest, i jest

Comment

I'd replace the power adaptor as soon as you are able. Don't leave it plugged in either.

Have you tried using a different AV cable on the MD with sound issues?

Comment

Originally posted by taucias View Post
            I'd replace the power adaptor as soon as you are able. Don't leave it plugged in either.
            I really think this is sound advice. You should start looking for a replacement PSU as soon as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Pookmunki View Post
              I had the same problem with my MD2. Any sort of explosion or fire based sound effect would have a bassy crackle blurt out of my tv at full volume. No answers to what it could be im afraid, im just resigned to the fact i cant play anything remotely interesting on it late at night due to the equation:

interesting on MD= explosions&fire
              Yep, I tried a few shooty games, including Hellfire and Truxton earlier and things sounds rather weird. Weird in an interesting way, but the sound is like a teenager who's voice is in the process of breaking - you get the 'normal' pitched sound, but when it gets deep it sounds all guttural and husky and awkward.

Originally posted by taucias
              I'll scout out another one. It's been OK so far, but no way am I leaving that bastard plugged in for long periods of time!

Originally posted by taucias
              Have you tried using a different AV cable on the MD with sound issues?
              It's the only MD2 AV cable I've got as you can't use the basic AV cable that MD1's use. It works fine on my other MD2, so I'm assuming it's the particular model of MD2 I've got, especially as Pookmunki seems to have experienced the same anomaly.

Comment

Working...
              X