Chibi Robo - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chibi Robo - Discussion

A charming, bright and cheerful puzzle platformer, Chibi Robo is regarded as one of the Gamecube's best cult classics and an overlooked end of generation gem. Enjoy the discussion.

I got the game last Christmas, but never really got into it- just did the first few things, upto the Foyer area. I sat down to put some serious time into it over the weekend.

Initial impressions are, overall, very good. Lots of interesting characters - I especially like

Plankbeard

. In some ways it's remeniscent of Gregory Horror Show, although not quite as funny.

One of the things I find a little irritating, is the constant need to return to the Chibi-House. You can be right in the middle of doing something at the furthest part of the level and then you get pulled back to the chibi-house. Also, the over-reliance on the A button for nearly all tasks can lead to you accidentally starting unskipable conversations (thankfully not in the same league as Metal Gear) or picking up your plug instead of pushing a box, say.

Comment

Fired up the intro last night. Hilarious. Very cool characters. Loved the girl's frog hat. Unfortunately that's as far as I had time for. More to come.

Comment

This really was one of the best games to grace the 'Cube. Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to play a game with a tiny main character negotiating an average household, and Chibi Robo finally gave me the opportunity to do so!

The bold and colourful graphics suit the game, and the sound design is also superb, what with the little riffs and plinky-plonk sounds that accompany Chibi's actions.

Originally posted by monomaniacpat
        One of the things I find a little irritating, is the constant need to return to the Chibi-House. You can be right in the middle of doing something at the furthest part of the level and then you get pulled back to the chibi-house.
        True, but you'll find this becomes less and less frequent as you level your battery.

The only real gripe I had was the incredibly lightweight combat. They should've either made it more substantial or not bothered at all.

Comment

When I said returning to the chibi house, I meant when nightfall/dawn occurs. Plugging in isn't such a big deal, but automatic returning to the chibi-house seems a little unnecessary, although it is helpful for updating the world ranking.

Comment

Oh yeah, that. I'd forgotten all about that!

'Twas quite annoying at times.

Comment

This game pissed me right of yesterday. I went into the Garden and climbed the tree for the first time. I woke up the bird in the nest and he flew away, leaving me with an opportunity to go onto the ledge behind. I then accidentally walked off the edge of the branch and fell to the floor below. This almost entirely wiped me out, leaving me with not enough fuel to reach the nearest plug point. I then recovered and walked back out, only to find the frigging bird sat there again and no way of getting rid of him!

Comment

I have the US version of Chibi Robo and decided to fire it up again last night using the ol' swap trick on the Wii. For some reason, I can't remember where the option is to change the length of the day/night cycle. Is it on the main menu screen? My eyes aren't what they used to be Anyway, it's a brilliant game and I've been bitten by the exploration bug all over again. If this game has passed anyone by, definitely pick it up if you get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderak View Post
                  For some reason, I can't remember where the option is to change the length of the day/night cycle. Is it on the main menu screen?
                  You buy extra/less time at the chibi PC in your chibi house.

The disturbing thing is, with the name "PC", that implies that microsoft runs the Chibi Shop!

Comment

Chibi robo was a really fun game it made you feel small in a good way. There were dark undertones in the cutscenes from when i played it and a real sense of discovery.

I really want to play this again thanks for reminding me. I only got into the basement and never really played it again.

Comment

Working...
                    X