X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old PC RPG Game

Hello all,

I'm trying to remember the name of an old PC DOS game. It was an RPG with Doom style 3D graphics, although I think it was before Doom - so possibly around 1992?

As I remember it was all set within a walled city, so it had outdoor environments although you could still enter dungeons underneath the city. The screen layout was like Eye of the Beholder, with very similar quality graphics. Eye of the Beholder was 1990, the game I'm thinking of looked slightly better which makes me think 1992 is a good guess.

One feature that really stood out was the ability to read noticeboards in taverns and accept missions to find or kill people.

Apart from that I can't remember many more details. The title or introduction screen always stands out because it was rendered using the game engine. So people were always amazed when what they thought was a static screen suddenly started moving.

I may regret this but I've had a go at drawing this title screen as I remember it. There were a couple of buildings in front of an entrance gate to the walled city. I've attached an "artists impression"

Any clues or name suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Beatnik.
    Attached Files

Comment

Could be the first two Elder Scrolls games. Arena was released in 1994 and Daggerfall was released in 1996.

I can't think of anything else sorry. Hopefully if it isn't one of them, someone else could possibly come up with the answer.

Comment

Thanks Zero9X but it isn't any of the Elder Scrolls games.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis View Post
          That would be Pound for Pound by Irem
          Cheers mon! Look at them well-chunky sprites - niiice.

Pound For Pound is a Videogame by Irem (circa 1990). An overhead boxing game by Irem with big and detailed characters and a high difficulty.

Comment

ok, this is going to be a hard one, because i have almost no concrete details about the game, just a really vague memory. it's a megadrive game i played in about 1995 (pal). i'm sure it was some kind of platformer, and i remember it was quite colourful. i'm seeing little yellow stars similar to those ones in yoshi's island, you know what i'm talking about. and cheese. maybe cheese land, or a cheese planet. man, this has been gnawing at my brainbread for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
              ok, this is going to be a hard one, because i have almost no concrete details about the game, just a really vague memory. it's a megadrive game i played in about 1995 (pal). i'm sure it was some kind of platformer, and i remember it was quite colourful. i'm seeing little yellow stars similar to those ones in yoshi's island, you know what i'm talking about. and cheese. maybe cheese land, or a cheese planet. man, this has been gnawing at my brainbread for a long time.
              Could it be James Pond 3 (1993)

Hope this helps!
              Last edited by Cauterize; 29-05-2008, 08:07.

Comment

wow, i really think it must be that, it's so close to what i remember. i had a killer time playing james pond robocod on the game gear when i was a kid, but i don't recall playing it on the megadrive. although now that i think of it, i only remember watcing my brother playing it. i'll have to pick it up somewhere. oh and a megadrive too. thanks ad! you've stopped my brain from melting too soon.

Comment

wow, i really think it must be that, it's so close to what i remember. i had a killer time playing james pond robocod on the game gear when i was a kid, but i don't recall playing it on the megadrive. although now that i think of it, i only remember watcing my brother playing it. i'll have to pick it up somewhere. oh and a megadrive too. thanks ad! you've stopped my brain from melting too soon.
                  There is also a SNES version called 'Operation Starfish'
                  A CD32 and Amiga version with the same title, 'James Pond 3'
                  Maybe you played it on one of those...

But as for now, i cant think of another game that fits your 'cheese' description!

Comment

ahh my stupid brother doesn't recognise it. but i'm sure it's this. now i'm gonna have to play it all the way through to check. back to ebay then.

Comment

ahh my stupid brother doesn't recognise it. but i'm sure it's this. now i'm gonna have to play it all the way through to check. back to ebay then.
                      an Uncommon megadrive title imo, but its fairly cheap so youll be fine!

Get that student loan working!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                        Hello all,

I'm trying to remember the name of an old PC DOS game. It was an RPG with Doom style 3D graphics, although I think it was before Doom - so possibly around 1992?

As I remember it was all set within a walled city, so it had outdoor environments although you could still enter dungeons underneath the city. The screen layout was like Eye of the Beholder, with very similar quality graphics. Eye of the Beholder was 1990, the game I'm thinking of looked slightly better which makes me think 1992 is a good guess.

One feature that really stood out was the ability to read noticeboards in taverns and accept missions to find or kill people.

Apart from that I can't remember many more details. The title or introduction screen always stands out because it was rendered using the game engine. So people were always amazed when what they thought was a static screen suddenly started moving.

I may regret this but I've had a go at drawing this title screen as I remember it. There were a couple of buildings in front of an entrance gate to the walled city. I've attached an "artists impression"

Thanks,
                        Beatnik.
                        Legends of Valour mate. I loved that game on the Amiga.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                          Hello all,

Thanks,
                          Beatnik.
                          Could also be Heretic or one similar to Heretic where you took on missions for gold in a keep with dungeons and outside areas. A very early prelude to thief but for the life of me i cannot remember the name of the game.

I only remember i got the demo shareware version on a floppy with PC Gamer (how long ago....) with the first levels and then bought the full version as it was ace.

Also didn't defender of the crown on the Amiga have a pre-rendered backdrop??

Comment

Naaah, it's definitely Legends of Valour. I know - I've played the game to death.

Comment

Thanks samanosuke!

Thanks samanosuke! You're an absolute genius, you wouldn't believe the amount of people I've asked about this game. Just done a quick Google for it and that's definately the game I was thinking of.

I officially owe you one, thanks.

Comment

Im pretty sure im not going mad as my father also remembers this gaming moment watching over my shoulder while playing the amiga very young...

Im convinced its one of the Turrican games but need help identifying which one or in the worst case, which game it actually is (i.e. NOT Turrican!) Grrr

I remember a screen where a wall opens up in the centre of the screen and a beating heart is visible and the enemy you need to kill. Wether it was a boss or cut scene, im really not sure.
                                I also seem to remember a bright blue clear sky behind the wall.

Ive checked screenshots on Turrican fan pages but cant seem to find what im looking for!
                                Please cure my mind and help me find out what game this is from!! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers, Adam

Comment

Working...
                                X