Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SF Collection vs SS2X, plus SSF2 FM Towns

I love my Street Fighter games.

I've owned the Saturn Street Fighter Collection before and plan on buying it again soon, but for some reason or other, have never bought Super Street Fighter 2X on the Dreamcast.

At the moment, i'm on a bit of a tight budget, snapping all the essential bits I lost during a fire. I want the closest to perfect version of Super Street Fighter 2X that I can get.

Now, I always thought that the one on the Saturn was arcade perfect, does the Dreamcast version improve on this in any way (other than probably loading times). Seeing as I can get the collection for quite a bit less, should I just stick to that version?

Also, out of morbid curiosity (and maybe wheelaa, this one is for you), how good is the FM Towns version of SSF2? I've not been able to find much about it apart from one, maybe two screens. It looks mighty impressive, how does it play? Was this a Marty game, if so, am I right in thinking that it came with a 2 button pad (please pardon my ignorance on this, I know so little about the FM Towns and finding info isn't that easy)? Being the sadist that I am, I would actually consider in the future buying the needed equipment just to play it.

According to the Shoryuken wiki, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2 for the PS2/Xbox is the most accurate home version available.

The biggest fighting game tournament in the world returns. Get all the details on Evo’s three action-packed days plus the crowning of new World Champions.

Comment

SSF2X on DC isn't RGB compatible and looks pretty awful in S-video so I'd steer clear of it.

Comment

The Marty version came with a 6 button pad and required the extra RAM for the console version.

Nice conversion considering the hardware but obviously bettered by later console versions.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
          SSF2X on DC isn't RGB compatible and looks pretty awful in S-video so I'd steer clear of it.
          There is a patched version available, which i have, that runs in rgb. I have the original aswell though.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
            The Marty version came with a 6 button pad and required the extra RAM for the console version.

Nice conversion considering the hardware but obviously bettered by later console versions.
            There never was an official RAM expansion for the Marty that I've seen. I do have SSF2 on FM Towns and X68000. Can make some clips of them in action if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Pavey View Post
              There is a patched version available, which i have, that runs in rgb. I have the original aswell though.
              Problem is that it runs on the Matching Service engine which downgraded the graphics to create RAM space for the online code.

Comment

Just do what I'm going to do after selling all my consoles mate, with the money made pick up a really decent supergun and all the various boards. They shouldn't be that expensive now.

I went to a Pinball/arcade exhibition with a few of the lads from here last year, the guys would come round and change the boards every now and then and seeing as I hardly ever left the arcade tent I had my pick of the boards. Managed to get Mars Matrix running at about 4,000 decibels which made my life complete.

Since then my need for JAMMA has been in overdrive. Just need to get my life sorted before I treat myself to genuine arcade perfection in the home. When is Seany having a meet anyway????! I know he has some decent gearz piled up.
                Last edited by dataDave; 14-08-2007, 10:41.

Comment

Working...
                X